Big, Big Guns and Big, Big Ammo

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Big, Big Guns and Big, Big Ammo

Post by Stevie D »

That pulse rifle thing you get from the BoS station in San Fran after you get the vertibird plans is the business.

Thing I want to know is: with huge energy weapons like the plasma and pulse rifles, to get the most from them do you need both high big guns and energy weapons skills?

Tezzy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tezzy »

Nah you dont need big guns skill. The energy weapons skill refers to energy based weapons no matter the size. Although youll need a high enough strength to wield those large beasties
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Tezzy wrote:Nah you dont need big guns skill. The energy weapons skill refers to energy based weapons no matter the size. Although youll need a high enough strength to wield those large beasties
Thanks, Tezz. :) That there Enclave armour is just the servo-assisted strength I need to tote the mofos. ;)
Dragonetti
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dragonetti »

A problem I have encountered while using said Pulse rifle.....

When using my plasma rifle I am quite a good shot (With aroun 100% skill in energy) however, when I start to tot a pulse rifle, I miss like hell. howcome? Just bad luck?
Everyone can be sensible. It takes a genius to be mad.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Dragonetti wrote:A problem I have encountered while using said Pulse rifle.....

When using my plasma rifle I am quite a good shot (With aroun 100% skill in energy) however, when I start to tot a pulse rifle, I miss like hell. howcome? Just bad luck?
Yeah right... that's why I posted this thread, too. I mean, your character with both pulse and plasma rifles is the 'guy with big gun' sprite, so I thought you might have needed a combo of high 'big guns' and 'energy weapons' skills to get the best from them. But apparently not.

Now I come to think of it, I never boosted my 'big guns' skill in FO the first and slagged everything in sight with the Turbo Plasma Rifle - no contest.

P'raps the pulse rifle is just a harder beast to tame? (Love that critical animation, though. :D)
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

your probubly just unlucky... when you use the plasma rifle, is your hit percentage higher than when you use the pulse rifle? if they are the same, then you are just unlucky.
anyway, i have always favored the Bozar (big gun--best :wink: ) or the gauss rifle/pistol (small guns/wicked aim/criticals)
i never really went the energy weapons in FO2, i should try it..
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

I always found energy weapons to be useful if you have them earlier in the game. It seems that the enemies you face have bad resistance against energy weapons. It's too bad they aren't available early.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Armisael
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Armisael »

It depends on the weapon. Every other monster has a high Laser resistance, but even Enclave troops are easily fried by plasma/electrical weapons.

The pulse rifle just has a lower accuracy. Even the standard plasma rifle, with its lower range, has a higher to hit than the pulse rifle.
Arbgun
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Arbgun »

Armisael wrote: The pulse rifle just has a lower accuracy. Even the standard plasma rifle, with its lower range, has a higher to hit than the pulse rifle.

Yup, the pulse rifle is harder to handle even thou you have good stats with your energy weapons. when in combat, before hitting someone, i compared the rate of percentage that il make a hit between a plasma and pulse rifle, plasma rated 95% while the pulse rifle rated 80% something.
Dragonetti
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dragonetti »

That's ludecris. The Pulse rifle is lighter and in real life I believe it should eb easier to aim with, unless the Iron's were damaged etc.
Everyone can be sensible. It takes a genius to be mad.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

pulse makes me thing of a flying ball/blob of electricity... doesnt seem that easy to aim with. but more damage!
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

Where can i find the alien blaster? Is it exist in Fallout 2?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

go a square or 2 north of modac, run around for a really long time. you should run into a trader that *might have it. if he does, he will talk about it in his dialog. im pretty sure you have to pay cash for it, iirc you cant barter for it. but you can kill him and take it off his corpse.. im pretty sure he has a lot of gaurds, and is actually hard to kill (if thats your first stop at modac, it might be tough to kill him) otherwise... im pretty sure it is just as good as it was in FO1.
doesnt it have like really really crappy range?
it looks to me like it is a pulse weapon, same death animations, and same projectile color
nexus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by nexus »

You could always go for a critical headshot - kill him with one shot - take the blaster and start blasting the gaurds - but it might still be difficult with all them guard taking a round of fire on your ass + you proberbly have crappy energy skill at this point - but hey, it all depends on what you are aiming for (guuh!)
it looks to me like it is a pulse weapon, same death animations, and same projectile color
Yes, it does electrical dmg. or same as pulse weapons

That's another thing I think is a bit wiered, they (the developers) didn't care to illustrate the specifications for electrical dmg in the in-game armor window
Bombs are not the answer - yes is........

*Raises hand and salute*
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

good point... armor only shows normal, laser, fire, plasma, and explode... what does pulse/electrical fit into?
nexus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by nexus »

Electrical dmg. IS specified for the armor it's just not visible in the window - I don't know why this is so.

Many of the armors the FO2 has lower elecrical DR & DT than other the other kind of resistanceses - for example bringin a super cattle prod to Salvatores place should make the fight pretty easy since the DR & DT for metal armor (both kinds but not tesla) sucks bigtime. Shouldn't take sulik more than 1 - 2 hits with a super cattle prod to bring down one of the Salvatore guys.

*Raises hand and salute*
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

EMP damage that is, yeah. Thing is though only robots can be affected by it... Well, I think you still get like 1 damage because the armour rating on anything other then robots is something around 500...
nexus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by nexus »

no disrespect, but where does the EMP talk fit in, I mean electrical and EMP dmg that's two different things.............isn't it

*Raises hand and salute*
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yea, EMP and electrical are different...

but is electrical as effective on robots as EMP is?
and, is it even worth using electrical weapons on people in PA? i never really had luck doing large amounts of damage with electrical weapons.
Bloodgeon11
Vault Scion
Vault Scion
Location: this great country of bombing the crap out of others

Post by Bloodgeon11 »

Those 2nd level enclave jerks with upgraded cattle prods beat me to death pretty quickly once or twice...
"Science fiction wiggers" is my new favorite phrase.

"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
-"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"Ask a glass of water."
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy