more questions about modding

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

more questions about modding

Post by sabin-x »

okay, i have an idea for making a multiplayer based mod... basically there wont be any big graphical or campaign changes, just balance issues for MP, and probably getting rid of useless weapons in favor of more useful ones. the aim will also be to make every aspect of characters useful in its own respect (with acceptions of course, like barter).

anyway, before i started i wanted to ask about certain possiblities:

1) how much can you edit races, if its possible? can you change what type of armor they can wear, or maybe is there options on the armor to allow certain races to wear them?

2) can you make new races available in MP, or make new races alltogether instead of editing a race already existing?

3) can you make new weapons instead of replacing old weapons? (i know in fo1&2 you had to replace existing weapons with new shite)

4) is it easier now to make strange items that have functions, for example +1 charisma glasses like in fo2, or usable items?

5) if you cant make new items, and you have to replace older items, is it possible to switch the item type, such as making a lame mg into armor instead? or possibly an ammo type?

i might think up more questions in a lil bit. thanks in advance.
wh0red,
-essex
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: more questions about modding

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

sabin-x wrote:1) how much can you edit races, if its possible? can you change what type of armor they can wear, or maybe is there options on the armor to allow certain races to wear them?
Other than the SMs, the BOS, Death Goats and non humanoid races the others can wear most of the armours. IIRC Tribals, Reavers and Raiders can wear all the armours (except ghoul and super mutant) Ghouls can only wear their own armours, PA and environmental armour.
sabin-x wrote:2) can you make new races available in MP, or make new races alltogether instead of editing a race already existing?
Not sure about this, I think you'd only be able to edit the existing races.
sabin-x wrote:3) can you make new weapons instead of replacing old weapons? (i know in fo1&2 you had to replace existing weapons with new shite)
You can make all the new weapons you like, check out the WWII mod.
sabin-x wrote:4) is it easier now to make strange items that have functions, for example +1 charisma glasses like in fo2, or usable items?
You can make new items that affect stats, but not ones that give perks. You can make instantly consumable items, but you won't be able to make items like the stealth boy which use up batteries over a length of time.
sabin-x wrote:5) if you cant make new items, and you have to replace older items, is it possible to switch the item type, such as making a lame mg into armor instead? or possibly an ammo type?
You can make new items, you can turn existing items into something completely different. Whatever you do make will have to be distributed to everyone who wants to play your mod of course. Again check out the WWII mod.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

yea, usually with mods all players have to have the same files...

anyway, about editing races, can you change things like base stats, min/max stats, perk rates, starting tag skills, available traits/perks?

and what i was asking about the armor is if its possible to let the super mutants wear more armor than just the two original armors they are given to wear (normal mutant armor and exceptional mutant armor or whatever its called).

i was gonna check out the ww2 mod sooner or later, but i just dont look forward to having to reinstall files when i do. i dont exactly have enough disk space, what with all the frickin mp3s i have.

thanks for your help, btw
wh0red,
-essex
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

sabin-x wrote:anyway, about editing races, can you change things like base stats, min/max stats, perk rates, starting tag skills, available traits/perks?
You can change the min/max stats but the rest are hard coded IIRC.
sabin-x wrote:and what i was asking about the armor is if its possible to let the super mutants wear more armor than just the two original armors they are given to wear (normal mutant armor and exceptional mutant armor or whatever its called).
You can make new armour for the SMs though their animations won't change. Arcanum has a couple of nice large armour sets that'll look good for SM armour.
sabin-x wrote:i was gonna check out the ww2 mod sooner or later, but i just dont look forward to having to reinstall files when i do. i dont exactly have enough disk space, what with all the frickin mp3s i have.

thanks for your help, btw
Time to archive them you can't listen to everything at the same time.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

sabin-x wrote:anyway, about editing races, can you change things like base stats, min/max stats, perk rates, starting tag skills, available traits/perks?
You are looking for the "races.txt" in core/tables. This will allow you to alter base stats, min/max stats and they type of available perks. There is a lot that is hard-coded, though, so while you could change DeathClaws to have Ghoul Traits you wouldn't be able to simply enable them to have the Glowing One Trait.
sabin-x wrote:and what i was asking about the armor is if its possible to let the super mutants wear more armor than just the two original armors they are given to wear (normal mutant armor and exceptional mutant armor or whatever its called).
You can create new types of Mutant Armor, but in-game they will always look like Mutant Armor. So if, for instance, you created a "Frank Horrigan's Armor" which was a type of Mutant Armor mutants could wear it, but in-game they would look just like they did when they wore standard types of Mutant Armor. You cannot, however, make a type of armor that could be worn by several racial types beyond what they already can wear.
sabin-x wrote:...but i just dont look forward to having to reinstall files when i do...
If you're lucky, they set it up using the "-path" command line argument and a mirror directory.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

i guess that will have to do.

im just kinda p-o'd that robots suck in MP.
not customization options for them, no perks... they're so bland.
wh0red,
-essex
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

okay, how should i go about unpacking the files? should i unzip all the .bos files and then delete the .bos files?

then what about packing the mods?

do i just zip all the edited files into a .zip/.bos with the -path feature?
wh0red,
-essex
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

sabin-x wrote:okay, how should i go about unpacking the files? should i unzip all the .bos files and then delete the .bos files?

then what about packing the mods?

do i just zip all the edited files into a .zip/.bos with the -path feature?
Don't delete all the .BOS files, you need to keep one of them. There's a thread around here somewhere with that info.

When sending out the mods you just need to zip them, you'll only need to use the - path option if you've replaced existing files.
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

kay, now im even more confused.

edit: im aiming to replace all of the weapons/items and possibly racial features for MP. so what should i do about that? do i replace files or is it possible to make new files that work in place of the old ones?

on top of that i just took a second browse through the tutorials thread... and most of the links are broken (even within the d&c website tutorials section).

maybe someone could find highly useful threads/post and add them to a sticky or make a new sticky? for the n00bs like me, of course.
wh0red,
-essex
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

wh0red,
-essex