Fallout Enforcer preview at XBox.IGN

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout Enforcer preview at XBox.IGN

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[ -> Preview]</strong>

<a href="http://xbox.ign.com/">XBox.IGN</a> has posted up a <A href="http://xbox.ign.com/articles/395/395047 ... preview</a> of <A href="http://www.interplay.com/fbos">Fallout Enforcer</a>. Here's a jolly good bit of fun from <i>Doug Perry</i>, the author:
<br>
<br><blockquote>Hardcord RPG fans of the PC game might look at the transition as a sellout, but Interplay likes to see it as a transition, a slight departure, and least for now. One could also see the glass half full. The series has not died with the massive changes seen at Interplay in the last three years, and the company feels confident enough to deliver it to the consoles in a more action-oriented fashion. I'm happy to see it. Plus, I'm not a real big RPG fan, so this rendition makes it far more palatable.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>The series hasn't died? This game looks like corpse rape to me. In fact, after this, I'm betting <A href="http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> is going to put <b>Team Chuck</b> hard at work on <i><b>Freespace: Jet Ski Racing</b></i>. Maybe <i>Doug Perry</i> will tell that fan base they should be optimistic about that one, too.
<br>
<br>Naturally they wouldn't get an RPG fan for this preview, those guys were probably too busy hugging the toilet over this.
<br>
<br>Thanks to <b>Rosh</b> of <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a> for pointing the way.
Last edited by Saint_Proverbius on Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

I'm not a real big fan of ice-hockey, so when someone includes chicks in thongs, pirates and maybe a beachball into the game, I'll find it far more palatable.

Think of it as a "transition". Sure, you might upset and alienate a few of those "hardcord" (?) ice-hockey fans by distorting everything they loved about the sport, but damnit... imagine the new audience you're gonna get! It's a win / win situation... out with the BAD audience (those who know), in with the GOOD audience (those who DON'T know)!

Picture the glass half full.

*puts down the crack pipe, feeds imaginary monkey, sends resume to IGN*
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Jesus. This review starts off bad right from the start. That opening paragraph is a doosey!
Up until 2003, anyone owning a console would have looked at Vivendi-Universal's portfolio of games and turned away genuinely disinterested. With the exception of the mostly interesting game, The Thing, games such as Dark Angel and the port of No One Lives Forever, just didn't cut the mustard. Seeing the company's games today, however, changes everything.

Take Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for instance...
The fact that they've already got their hands on this though, surely shoots Elara down from her temple in the sky (well, puts a few more holes in her already crashed and burning plane). If this "story driven game" is already this near completion, it's gone.
It just doesn't get any better wrote:As players build up their character with enemy kills and level progression, they can use their earned character points and attribute them to the various characteristics of their choice.
Characteristics like... uhh... shooting stuff and shooting big stuff and throwing stuff? Don't hold back on the options here.

I think Dougy sums it up quite nicely:
"Once you slaughter them [your enemies] it's time to collect weapons and move on."

Joy. I'd rather slaughter Interplay and move on, personally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

The massive changes at interplay over the last 3 years? Like what? Losing millions of dollars? Losing the rights to publish d&d games on the pc platform -- including the ability to put out bg3? Yea, I can definitely see the half full side of things... means Interplay might croak before FOBOS is put out and we'll be spared this crappy effort. WOO HOO!! LOOK I'M AN OPTIMIST. Leave it to IGN to kiss ass like no one else.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Kreegle wrote:I'm not a real big fan of ice-hockey, so when someone includes chicks in thongs, pirates and maybe a beachball into the game, I'll find it far more palatable.
BMX XXX!
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Heh. I suspect that a lot of IGNs articles, especially their "previews" are just another form of advertising.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

He hates RPGs though, in previous articles he preattled on about how pc rpgs should be like final fantasy.
peasofme
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by peasofme »

the worlds full of stupid people
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Doyle wrote:Heh. I suspect that a lot of IGNs articles, especially their "previews" are just another form of advertising.
That about sums up every game media site and magazine in existence. Previews have always been another form of advertising.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

It always elicits a laugh when a game is "previewed" for months on end, then called a piece of shit a week later.
fuck
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

I think our "dear" MR Doug Perry was somewhat drunk or HEAVILY BRIBED to write that! It cant be serious! GAAAAH!
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

Doyle wrote:Heh. I suspect that a lot of IGNs articles, especially their "previews" are just another form of advertising.
EVERYTHING IGN does is in some way profitable. Those bastards dont do ANYTHING if it doesnt give em a few bucks! (No offense, but...) CAPITALIST BASTARDS!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

And once again, seeing more news about this game, the crowd goes wild.
------------------
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Check out g-mann11 there.

I guess it would take the stupid twit to be hit by a bus to know that a bus was coming towards them.

Morons like that should be shot.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Rosh wrote:Check out g-mann11 there.

I guess it would take the stupid twit to be hit by a bus to know that a bus was coming towards them.

Morons like that should be shot.
Yeah, he's quite an idiot. Check out this thread on VE3D on the subject.
  • #11 by g-mann11 on 4/26/2003 5:34:24 AM PST
    no it becasue of people who bash a company because the want to make other games in the "fallout" universe rather than a Sequal to fallout 2.

Which I don't understand why people like ot bash a company for making a spinoff fallout game. It not like C & C games making a spinoff Oh wait.

#12 by Saint_Proverbius on 4/26/2003 9:16:04 AM PST EDIT
    And where is Westwood now, g-mann11?
Only a fool would bring up Westwood games having spin offs, since Westwood no longer exists because they didn't make enough money for EA.
------------------
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, because C&C Sole Survivor was so damn good. Ditto Renegade. Red Alert did well because despite being a spin-off, it was still the same game.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Wait, I'm a fan of Westwood's good oldschool stuff but what the hell is sole survivor? And I never heard that EA dissolved them. Is that why generals sucks so bad

Anyways, back on topic, this is just a D2 clone with guns, MR T., and some chicks in thongs with the fallout licesne slapped on.
Jiles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jiles »

spyder07 wrote:Anyways, back on topic, this is just a D2 clone with guns, MR T., and some chicks in thongs with the fallout licesne slapped on.
From the renders in IPLY's jigsaw puzzle it looks they they dropped the thong and gone for the 'wasteland beauties with big tits and milky white skin' look.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

spyder07 wrote:Wait, I'm a fan of Westwood's good oldschool stuff but what the hell is sole survivor?
Sole Survivor is basically C&C where you only control one person. It was a horrible concept that wasn't recieved well at all. Basically, it played really close to the RTS, but you were only given a soldier or other unit to run around the map with and that's it.

Review at Game-Revolution
And I never heard that EA dissolved them. Is that why generals sucks so bad
Generals was Westwood's last game.
Jiles wrote:From the renders in IPLY's jigsaw puzzle it looks they they dropped the thong and gone for the 'wasteland beauties with big tits and milky white skin' look.
Thongs are still in, they're in those trailers at GameSpot.
------------------
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Not even, Saint. Earth & Beyond was Westwood's last game. Generals and Red Alert 2 were developed by EA Pacific, a development outfit totally separate from Westwood that now handles all C&C games, including the probable C&C3: Tiberian Dusk. The real Westwood was dissolved shortly after the release of Earth & Beyond, with a hollow shell of the company staying together to maintain the game. It's just like Origin after UO.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex