Function of "Cult of Personality"

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
I Must Be Crazy 2
SDF!
SDF!

Function of "Cult of Personality"

Post by I Must Be Crazy 2 »

Exactly what changes if your character chooses the Cult of Personality perk?

According to the manual, "everybody likes your character."
According to the perk's description from the character screen, "Your reputation is always positive to people."

However, when I play the game with no MODs and select this perk, good-natured NPC's still refuse to join my party or abandon it immediately, most traders still give me a sizable price increase, and NPC's with talking heads still glare at me if I am a Demon Spawn, Childkiller, Berserker, and/or Slaver.

What exactly does this perk give you?[/b]
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I always thought it mirrored your personality. So if you had a really high rep, you'd have a really bad rep when talking to NPCs, and vice versa for the other way around. But that could of just been me.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Your rep can either go negative or positive basically. So if you had a 50 karma, your karma would be still 50 when talking to people who respect high karma, but it would retroactively drop to -50 with people who respect low karma. Same goes for negative karma, it can go positive and stay negative as necessary.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

That about sums it up, though I have had problems with it before.
Chrille
Respected
Respected

Post by Chrille »

atoga wrote:Your rep can either go negative or positive basically. So if you had a 50 karma, your karma would be still 50 when talking to people who respect high karma, but it would retroactively drop to -50 with people who respect low karma. Same goes for negative karma, it can go positive and stay negative as necessary.
So you should be able to speak with , let´s say, Sulik if you´re a Childkiller and a slaver?
---Pain is Temporay, Glory is Forever---
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I don't think that karmic perks like Childkiller or Slaver get changed by Cult of Personality. But I could be wrong.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Cult of Personality IIRC = if you're bad you become REAL bad, if you're good you become REAL good

Karma Beacon = everybody likes your character

No?
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

I think it's the opposite...

Karma beacon simply gives you twice the karma you'd earn normally.

I checked the script and it seems Cult of Personality is unused (commented out!). It was meant to make the critters totally ignore your evil kama (or good, considering you were good and talking to an evil crature) though still taking into account your town reputation.

Sad, sad...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ach, I always confuse those two...
Red

Post by Red »

Actually it doubles the effect of Karma to be precise, it doesn't double the karma you gain.