Even more IPLY forum fun - NPC schtuff

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Even more IPLY forum fun - NPC schtuff

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong>

In yet another <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=24883">poll thread on making FO3 more like BG/IWD/etc</a>, the question is whether or not NPCs should be <i>controllable</i> by the player, which begs the question, <i>Do BIS fan boys know what <b>NPC</b> actually means?</i> Here's some of the fun:
<br>
<br><blockquote>I'll never understand the thrill of AI controlled companions. They've pretty much ruined the experience of every game I've played where they were a part of it, yes including the combat portion of FO2, because they either turned a fun game into a frustrating reload session or, as in NWN, took all my energy just to keep them alive so I finally ignored them and went solo. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>I'll never understand why people don't get what the <b>non</b> part of <b>Non Player Character</b> means!
<br>
<br><i><b>PS.</b> Go vote.</i>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I hope BIS doesn't listen to that bullshit on the forums, or we might have dwarves and axes in the game.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

I'll say it again.

Post by 4too »

I'll say it again.

"They" want to play the same Fantasy RPG >FOREVER<, even in other ages, timelines or genres. "They" are not comfortable with FO's differences and wish it to be made in "their" own image. Kind'a like ""Rain Man"", obsessive compulsive in their better, "unmedicated", moments.

The fact that "they" have been flagellating FO Fans >FOR YEARS< about
""playing the same game"" is Jesus's sweet irony. Ol' Buddaha giggling too, most likely.

Dwarves with axes maybe our least worry.

I'play site won't respond to my password or allow my e-mail with "4too".
Just like Elara's site. Guess I'll stay home at DAC and NMA......

Well maybe I need to ASS-ume a new identity so I can vote for FO.

Takin' one fo' da team.........

4too

Great flaming trails of glory! I tried "4too" again and passed the Validation test! Is that an 8th grade equivalency test? Ma would be proud.....

4too-2
Naelphin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Naelphin »

Reading stuff like this makes me wish that fallout3 never comes out. It'll probably be mangled too much to fit demographics.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: I'll say it again.

Post by Briosafreak »

4too wrote:
Great flaming trails of glory! I tried "4too" again and passed the Validation test! Is that an 8th grade equivalency test? Ma would be proud.....

4too-2
...and i saw your post there, maybe i`ll start reading that board without the "news glasses" for a while, with your posts and Atoga totally loosing it in rage against the "fantasy crew" they will surely be fun again ;)
Jiles
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Even more IPLY forum fun - NPC schtuff

Post by Jiles »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:<i>Do BIS fan boys know what <b>NPC</b> actually means?</i>
Yeah, NPC's, ain't they the things that you have romances with?
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Oh, dear lord.. Whatever you do, don't mention romances.
------------------
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Did somebody say romance? :hug:
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Roots

Post by 4too »

Roots

The high moral plain: the stickling of English grammar to enforce, not
clarity of communication, but group think is too confining an atmosphere for me, especially during these first hot summer days.

The high moral plain: I did witness "diss'ing", an "ad hominem" prose style stab is still an act of violence as any string of invective. See, we all come from the same RPG roots........ most RPG babies start out processing vermin into experience points.

.................RAT ............ KILLING .......................

and as rat killers we share competitive lusts and combative urgues.

Expect a multiplayer, school yard pecking order; it's the high moral plain of "fantasy" rat killers I find humorous.

Friendly fire and fire arms have always co existed. It's facinating the trend there to consider it a "bug" and want it coded out,..... and the "magic" of their game logic allows this.

Trust that the designers of FO3 have creative freedom, or dispair.....

Woe iz Dogmeat.......

The shame is some MARKETING magicans will draw STATISTICS from this gelatinous myopic goo. Buckets of JELLO! Exploiting this happy rabble of role players to perpetuate, their conscious (or unconscious) driving of Interplay into bankruptcy.

Whose the "evil Foozle",,,,, Marketing! The ultimate-uber End Boss.....

Off to the sticky heat of the day job.

4too
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Puzzles me why so many people consider Fallout a party-based game, as it obviously isn't. Hell i'm close to thinking they should make Fallout 3 without any followers what so ever, just to avoid all the idiotic complaints about lack of control.
Kreegle wrote:Did somebody say romance?
Sales did. Put romances up as a feature, and the game'll cater to that alarmingly growing group of pathetic pus-pimpled pussies, who thinks screwing a drow is the ultimate gaming experience.
O-G-N-I-B
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Half of the people there don't even know what they're talking about. The debate seems to be over whether the player should control the various party members he meets or leave them as NPCs at the computer's control. A lot of the people are just saying "NPCs are idiotic because of the AI." Granted, the AI in both Fallouts wasn't the best, and it did lend to some sticky situations, but naturally that would be remedied for the best in Fallout 3, right? Furthermore, they act like NPCs are totally uncontrollable assholes who do as they please. Obviously you can talk to them, and given your leadership skill and disposition towards them, advise them. So long as decent AI is achieved, haven't we then achieved the goal of realism when concerning party members? It would be idiotic to have full control over someone, and besides, that would ruin each NPC's individual personality - and shouldn't some NPCs have ulterior motives or things the player is not meant to know about?

BIS fanboys complain about the lack of realistic, real-world weapons and then ask for mindless, cookie-cutter NPCs who march headlong into damnation at the player's whim. Hmm.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Oh, dear lord.. Whatever you do, don't mention romances.
How about some "sloppy Ghoul action" then?
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

I can see where everyone is coming from with this, both set ups have their good points though I really have to side with AI controled NPCs for Fallout as Player controled NPCs did so badly in Tactics. I think however that the best way to handle the situation would be to give the player the ability to issue commands to the NPC in combat (like Arcanum or NWN). That way you dont have all the micromanagement of controling four or five people at once and you can still avoid situations where the NPC behaves suicidaly or you need help fighting another enemy. There would be a matter of balancing this though so that it fit into gameplay, maybe have it cost one AP per command?
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

This thread amuses me to no end. I am tempted to say that it amuses me even more than the thread on IPLY which spawned this one, but I am not sure.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

can't we just like make an anti-interplay board and post stuff their instead of In the news? Or mabye choose a dumb thread of day lol

D:
Last edited by Megatron on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:chew:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I agree with Megatron. I'm all for bashing IPLYers, but it's just not newsworthy. I mean, wow, idiot BG fanboys who think particle effects are kewl don't like us. Not exactly new news. If you find a nice, juicy thread on IPLY, probably best to share it in GD.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Jeff
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jeff »

Pffft, using Kashluk logic here,
Less n00z = Less 4t00 posts = bad thing
Keep it up you silly old man, you make me feel all fuzzy and dizzy and whatever inside :hug:
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Spazmo wrote:I agree with Megatron. I'm all for bashing IPLYers, but it's just not newsworthy. I mean, wow, idiot BG fanboys who think particle effects are kewl don't like us. Not exactly new news. If you find a nice, juicy thread on IPLY, probably best to share it in GD.
The point is that forum is the one the developers read. So, rather than letting them think their mindless bastion of Darwin outlyers are what the people want, I post the occational creepy forum post so that you guys can see what they're saying and offer your own opinion on the subject.

Imagine if someone had done that when Fallout 2 was in production!
------------------