Puuky Baby on playable ghouls and supermutants

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Jiles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jiles »

EN. wrote:Some people on the boards are asking for the character to be able to turn into a race instead of picking it straight from the start.

It's hard to work into the setting, but it's possible. There could be an option that allowed you to dip yourself in the vats that would turn you into a supermutant... I'm not sure how you would become a ghoul though.
I'd prefer turning into a Mutant/Ghoul to starting out as one.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Forty-six & Two wrote:. also theres other parts of the U.S than just the areas in Fallout 1 & 2 right? Other places with more vaults and more F.E.V contaiment areas.
Actually, no. FEV is located at exactly two places in the Fallout world, West Tech and Mariposa.
Yea, as of now, but taking into account that this is a fictional world, there could suddenly be more test sites, which was my point. All im saying is that the Fallout world shouldnt be set completly in stone, that way well never have any advancement. Making a game true to Fallout 1 (and only Fallout 1, not 2) would probaly make a pretty good game, with the bloodline of the dweller and all, but I really think we need something new. A completly new angle on the Fallout world. More races isnt gona solve that on its own or at all, thats not what im saying. But I think we need to be open to changes and variations of the true Fallout. Or else it will die for sure, because it will just be the same thing, again. Like Fallout 1&2 was basicly the same thing.
Yaced
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Yaced »

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Planescape: Torment was completely ruined for me because the nameless one was pretty old and had done lots of stuff but was still a petty newbie. I mean you'd think he'd still have at least some of the attributes left, even though he's lost his memory.

So that game sucked shit, am I rite?
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

Yaced wrote:So that game sucked shit, am I rite?
Either you are sarcastic, or you are a fucking moron. I hope it's the first option.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Forty-six & Two wrote:
Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Forty-six & Two wrote:. also theres other parts of the U.S than just the areas in Fallout 1 & 2 right? Other places with more vaults and more F.E.V contaiment areas.
Actually, no. FEV is located at exactly two places in the Fallout world, West Tech and Mariposa.
Yea, as of now, but taking into account that this is a fictional world, there could suddenly be more test sites, which was my point.
What, like how FO:Enforcer suddenly has Vault-Tec picking up a batch?

FEV was developed in West-Tech (The Glow). Then they built Mariposa as THE research facility in order to study it more. It's not like they'd have 50 different places all over the United States working on FEV.

Think: Manhatten project. There was only one of those, right? They didn't try setting up 5 or 6 seperate research labs all over the country did they? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking those two questions because I don't know.)

Pick another chemical for your plot. It doesn't have to be FEV all the freaking time. Find some other Mutie drug to play with.
Sammael wrote:
Yaced wrote:So that game sucked shit, am I rite?
Either you are sarcastic, or you are a fucking moron. I hope it's the first option.
I'd say sarcasm.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
EN.
SDF!
SDF!

Post by EN. »

There really isn't anything stopping the protagonist of Fallout 3 taking a short trip to West Tek or Mariposa.

Turning into a super mutant would be easy. All it takes is FEV. Thats it.

Turning into a ghoul is the real question.

However, I would like to see some fresh mutagens/bacterias/viruses instead of FEV. Now that I think of it, FEV really has been done to death. It was used by the evil sinister Master in Fallout 1 as a means to build his army, and it was used by the evil sinister Enclave in Fallout 2 as a means to kill other people's armies. Actually maybe mutagens/bacterias/viruses should just be left out of the damn game. Have something original instead of the same old, tired and cliche, horrible disgusting biological thingy.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Well it took the Master's super brain to create the right batch of FEV, with the right dipping time, exposure etc.

Just having FEV isnt good enough, your more likely to end up like a centaur.
Jiles
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jiles »

Mr Carrot wrote:Just having FEV isnt good enough, your more likely to end up like a centaur.
Sterling idea that. Do you think they'd give us wemics and elves as well?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

DarkUnderlord wrote: Think: Manhatten project. There was only one of those, right? They didn't try setting up 5 or 6 seperate research labs all over the country did they? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking those two questions because I don't know.)
Testing for the Manhattan project was done in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and Los Alamos, New Mexico. Uranium core materials were assembled in Clinton, Tennessee (outside of Oak Ridge) and the US secret city of Hanford (located near Richland, Washington). Finally, the first nuke was tested at the trinity testing site in Alamogordo, New Mexico. So yes, nukes in the Manhattan project were assembled and tested between three far apart, isolated, and relatively secret areas. If anything, I think the whole FEV project was just as important and kept as secret, though of course due to intelligence leaks it was harshly fucked over when the West Tek facility was blown to bits.
DarkUnderlord wrote: Pick another chemical for your plot. It doesn't have to be FEV all the freaking time. Find some other Mutie drug to play with.
In the Fallout PNP European sourcebook, there's a form of TOH radiation which causes some odd mutations when combined with some other chems, resulting in creatures that are similar to ghouls (though with different physical maximums). I don't know a hell of a lot about it though (except that Ausir didn't like it :cry: ). Furthermore, there should be ghoul versions of all sorts of creatures - ghoul dogs, ghoul geckos, even old supermutants who've turned into ghouls.
Mr Carrot wrote:Just having FEV isnt good enough, your more likely to end up like a centaur.
Untrue; Centaurs are a genetic mash of human, dog, and other critters (with FEV). However, you're correct in saying that; a special dipping procedure is necessary to become a super mutie. Limited FEV exposure would cause limited super mutant traits, I suppose, but nothing too drastic.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Langy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Langy »

Seems nobody answered my question... Let me repost that.
Maybe Supermutants and Ghouls will start out at higher levels than level one in FO3? If they did that, what would be wrong with it (besides the fact that if you're a supermutant you'll probably be attacked on sight by a few thousand people...)?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Langy wrote:Seems nobody answered my question... Let me repost that.
Maybe Supermutants and Ghouls will start out at higher levels than level one in FO3? If they did that, what would be wrong with it (besides the fact that if you're a supermutant you'll probably be attacked on sight by a few thousand people...)?
Well, that's horribly unbalanced. I can't see it happening - in most gamer's minds, you start at level 1 or bust. Personally, I can't see that being implemented.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Centaurs are random fusions of genetic mass put into the vats, ignoring the bible i think thats what they were supposed to represent. Mistakes, tests and experiments.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, just the Master thinking "What if I tossed this, that and it's grandmother into a vat?" gave us Centaurs.

I'd say that the result of improper dipping (wrong mixutre, quantity, procedure, etc.) could have a number of effects. The most common one being instant death. Right after that, slow agonizing death. Then a bevy of... unpleasant mutations ranging from paralysis to good 'ol Harrys. If you're lucky and you have a low rad count, you become a proper Lou-type supermutant.

Now that I think about it, here's another question: supposing you're an inhabitant of the wastes. You've been living in the Hub all your life. Thus, your rad count is too high for dipping and you'll become a dimwit. However, what happens if you take some RadAway before dipping? Basically, does FEV take into account your current rad level or your rad level throughout your life?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by 4too »

Baby Ghouls!

Ghouls are VERY goth.......

Super Mutants are VERY Incredible Hulk.....

My evil twin, the Market'eer, divines many preexisting Kultural VECTORS intersecting here.

It would be a darling way to introduce "Pre-Rolled" characters to FO.
Very "console", likely -------- LUCRATIVE!

Would interdict some of the cheats that pump up player stats.
There's quite a tradition of these cheats for RPG's.

If JE allows Traits, Perks, and Skills, most of these would be picked. Because I doubt that gamers could be allowed in this "Brave New" FO to "Pre Roll" their own level 12 mutated characters. Can't negociate the "New" math. Just can't trust gamers to think beyond being spoon fed their entertainment.

If I thought it wouldn't burden the developement and production and publication of 'a' FO 3, I'd consider MUTANT MINI GAMES.......

Here's your chance to play world weary MARCUS or gushy enthusiastic LENNY.......or dare I suggest... Mr. Deus Ex Machina ...HAROLD!!!

Super Mutant Level 12 Ex-Soldier. FOT junkies what are the stats?

149 year old level 12 BABY GHOUL! FOT junkies what are the stats?

Both would have a wealth of one liners about "been there, done that".
A lot of patient elder , sitting back and whittling, until the smooth skin "children" get the joke.

Playing out a parallel scenario on the same turf as the main game.
Brief and complimentary to the main plot line.

Hey, the local 11 year old expert wants to be a BABY GHOUL.
That's the market target focus, right?

4too
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Is it too much to hope for that FO3 resembles Fallout? This seems to be a case of taking SPECIAL out & shooting it in the back a few times & giving us something else in it's place.

I've been waiting for years to see a real Fallout game & I believe that the wait has been in vain. Excuse me if I'm bitter & not helping. Sure it isn't the end of the world & I'm not going to treat it like it is but how can we be expected to swallow the KEWL new system & not complain that the *improved* recipe stinks to high heaven?

Let's just hope that it really isn't as grim as it looks. Anybody believe that it won't be?
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
Langy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Langy »

Well, that's horribly unbalanced. I can't see it happening - in most gamer's minds, you start at level 1 or bust. Personally, I can't see that being implemented.
How is it 'horribly unbalanced'? So long as where you start and what your original quest is is different for each of the races, I can't see any real balance problem in there. The original quest would simply have to be scaled in difficulty based on what race you are.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Well there you are. If you have a different starting level for each race, you effectively have to have multiple stories, which is bad because it increases development time, which is something BIS can't afford to do.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by 4too »

Insane-Lark said:
...but how can we be expected to swallow the KEWL new system & not complain that the *improved* recipe stinks to high heaven?...
If they keep running all over the map, with all the new and improved cup holders and Kung Fu posturing, they'll have to use a sledge hammer to fit it on a DVD.

If Saint Machiavelli is 'lurking' over us, then JE has his "Brave New" system already worked out and is directing consensus to fit his template.

4too
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Spazmo wrote:Well there you are. If you have a different starting level for each race, you effectively have to have multiple stories, which is bad because it increases development time, which is something BIS can't afford to do.
Not necesarily, you could always have the main quest be introduced after a human character has gained a few levels and have mutants or ghouls be able to get into the quest faster because they are more skilled from the start if the player didnt want to wander a bit.

Or I suppose that you could have everyone start at level 1 but balance the races so that each race starts more proficient in some skills than the others and give certain races limits to the number of points alotable to certain skills based off their races (ie: Muties not being able to gain very high inteligence or charisma and therefore not being able to gain high proficiency in skills like barter or science. This would requre the characters to rely more on combat with a super mutant as opposed to being more inteligent and less combat oriented as a ghoul with humans as a sort of everyman) This way you can have more points alottable at the start into various areas giving that character an advantage in certain areas, simulating to an extent more experience in those areas.

Whatever, I dont know if that would work at all and would probably be impossible to implement, I find the whole situation stupid to begin with. I'm all for the Fallout universe advancing and all but theyre just making changes for the sake of making them now.
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Making changes...

Post by N »

They're not making changes for nothing -- they're making them so the games get bought by the widest group of people, perhaps and/or including console systems.

Fuck the people who built the francise's popularity in the first place and gave it a large fanbase -- we need more exposure to the masses!