So much for that...

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

it reminds me too much of diablo.
also some enemies are of too high level to beat them( but i still could nab them special weapons of em :D )
also when raising them dead bodies they dont follow very well, plus they only attack when they are within 3 meters or so.....
but does anyone know what the red/pink big crystal does except spawn enemies?
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

It reminds me of Nox. It looks luscious....but has an awkward feeling to it.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Yeah, it does remind me of Nox too. At least the RT battles aren't a random clickfest, once you click on one enemy it targets it until it's killed. That does remove a lot of the immersiveness, though. Bleh. I actually love raising dead, they do follow real slowly, but they are real useful in battle. I just love the whole idea of taking anything that you killed and bringing it back to fight with you. That's so badass.
Hokkien
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Hokkien »

Oh Boy oh Boy, I recommend EVERYONE Download this demo!!! This way, no one will spend money on the actual game! I swear, everything out of Interplay for the last 2 years has been garbage.

Lionheard = :badgrin: Midget Challenged :badgrin:
The Dual Wielding Dr. Grip/Chop Stick Freak!
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

SuperH wrote:Yeah, it does remind me of Nox too. At least the RT battles aren't a random clickfest, once you click on one enemy it targets it until it's killed. That does remove a lot of the immersiveness, though. Bleh. I actually love raising dead, they do follow real slowly, but they are real useful in battle. I just love the whole idea of taking anything that you killed and bringing it back to fight with you. That's so badass.
one of the more annoying bits about the combat system is that if mobbed by a group of those lil green glob spitting creatures there is no auto combat to start in on the next baddie attacking you. Instead the dude just sits there and takes it like a gimp.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Hm, I just completed the demo and although I tried my best to like the game, I still don´t know what to think yet...

For my taste it´s a bit too combat-heavy (almost as Diablo, while on the other hand not as smooth). I don´t see how this can be fun playing with a sneak/speech character, at least if the whole game is like that (FO´s beginning with those tons of rats wasn´t THAT great either, IMO). At first I found some of the battles way too difficult, but then maybe it makes sense, that you cannot just take a walk in the woods and slay everything you encouter at low levels. But when coming upon entirely "new" (I mean unknown) enemies like those winged frogs with the weird names some lines of explanation might be useful to give a general idea what you´re dealing with. Not necessarily as elaborated as in PlanescapeTorment but SOME piece of information. These might give you a clue of what creatures should maybe be avoided. Rather than finding out by constantly being slain and reloading...

Visuals are quite nice, at least the environments. Characters and creatures are a bit flat, but still okay I think. Anyway I´d prefer Van Buren/FO3 having prerendered backgrounds as well instead of being fully 3D. Why can´t they keep at least THAT? (No answers required here, just a rhetorical question).

Some things I haven´t been able to figure out, for instance what the red crystal is for, how to run, why sometimes there are health-indicators for the enemies and sometimes not and why my character stands so wide-legged as if he had just pissed in his pants.

*sigh* I´ll buy it nevertheless, I think...
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Killzig wrote:one of the more annoying bits about the combat system is that if mobbed by a group of those lil green glob spitting creatures there is no auto combat to start in on the next baddie attacking you. Instead the dude just sits there and takes it like a gimp.
No kidding, that was a big problem for me as well. Heh, I can just imagine the devs saying:
"Well, if it auto-attacked the next enemy, then you don't have any control over your character!"
"But... where's the control in clicking once and watching the enemy die?"
"... ... But! If it auto attacked the next enemy, you wouldn't have any control over the character!"
Heh. Or something to that effect. I wonder if it might be an unimplimented thing, as running seems to be. The enemy health bars I believe come up when you hit tab, or click the "quick status" button. And... the red crystal, as far as I can tell, just makes skeletons. I only tried it once, though, so I donno if you can like... clean it out or something. Who knows.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

A couple of things. That red crystal only makes baddies. I tried walking into it a few times and yea more baddies. One interesting bit I noticed while doing that was that on one of my saves before clicking I was totally out of mana. When I reloaded after having my ass handed to me by a "HUGE BRITTLE SKELETON" (if it's so brittle why does it stand so tough against my sword of lethargy and carnage ? Do you assholes even know what "brittle" means?) ... Anyways the mana was fully reloaded. I tried this again but I couldn't get it to work. I think the mana has to be totally drained. Has anyone been able to reproduce this?

Also a fun little tip. Save before you lock pick those 2 chests off to the right of the red crystal apparently the stuff in the chest to the left is randomly generated while the one on the right will always just dump gold at you. I reloaded a couple of times testing this out and got a few different items. I think it always spills out weapons though I could be wrong.

Walking around with the sense traps and secret doors will uncover treasure and its a very passive thing. The game really does feel like a poor man's diablo in that sense. Maybe it is just the demo but I doubt it. It's very much hack hack hack slash slash slash and monty haul your way through. Anyone else at all disconcerted by the seemingly limitless inventory room? I was carrying over 4 maces and 3 long swords in my inventory along with a bunch of skulls/pelts.

Another feature that needed in would be a bubble popping up or a description in your window while mousing over an item for pick up. It's a bit of a pain to have to pick up every little thing just to see what it is.

The fire set of magic spells is pretty weak. I didn't have any success with those spells. I made it to level 4 and the fire spell wasn't even dinging the skellies or ghouls. Worst fight of the game came against the giant ogre. I kill the ogre and all I got was this shitty sack of gold.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

after completeing the demo... i wanted more.
just because it wasn't quite as mindless as i had thought. even though it was tedious, it was much better than diablo2, and looked better.

it was a lot more fun than it started out as.
i might buy it when it's 20 bucks or lower... but even then.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

buy it, make a copy then return it mebbe?
:chew:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Megatron wrote:buy it, make a copy then return it mebbe?
awsome idea.
given that the store doesn't have that stupid "no open software return" policy... that's so dumb, even though it is very wise of them :x

i'll just find a store that allows it when it's out.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I really don't think it was much better than Diablo. A bit more interaction, but hardly enough to make a great, or even good, game. If I want mindless RT combat and monty haul, I'll take Diablo II over this any day of the week.
Literacy is overated.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

if it's anything like Diablo, am not buying it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Virus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Virus »

I have to say actually.. the only thing i liked about this game was the special system... the rest of it sucked.
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

I agree with Doyle. If you want hack´n´slash without too much brain then Diablo 2 is the better choice. And OF COURSE Lionheart looks better than Diablo 2, D2 was released over two years ago I think...

But on the official feedback forum somebody pointed out, that this demo consists of three (in the full game) unrelated areas that were just slapped together and that it is far more combat-heavy than the full game. At least that´s what one of the devs had said.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Strapon2 wrote:
awsome idea.
given that the store doesn't have that stupid "no open software return" policy... that's so dumb, even though it is very wise of them :x

Nope. Just say you didn't agree with the End-User License Agreement. If you read any of them, they all say you can return this to the store you purchased it from for a FULL refund if you disagree with the EULA. Sure, you might have a legal fight on your hands to actually get them to take it back, but hey, it'd set an interesting precedent.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rayt
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rayt »

Senor Deluxe wrote:Hm, I just completed the demo and although I tried my best to like the game, I still don´t know what to think yet...

For my taste it´s a bit too combat-heavy (almost as Diablo, while on the other hand not as smooth). I don´t see how this can be fun playing with a sneak/speech character, at least if the whole game is like that (FO´s beginning with those tons of rats wasn´t THAT great either, IMO).

*snip*
According to the designer (is he one?) Professor Monkey, the demo is not exactly like the game (scorll down a bit, after he's quoted he makes a post himself):

http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=27252

Also, Cabal said this in the thread:
People have every right to be critical if they don't like the demo. We made some design decisions that some people may not like but others will. For those that think the demo is fun, I can assure you that you will have a blast with the full game - there's a lot more depth in Barcelona and beyond. For those on the fence that see some positive things and some negative things with the demo but are waiting to see how everything else is implemented, I also think a good portion of you will be pleasantly surprised by the game. For those that can't get past the interface and really detest the combat, I say thanks for checking out the demo but Lionheart probably isn't for you.
So I guess you'll like it if you weren't completely turned off by the combat system. After playing the demo a couple of times I must say that I got used to it and even started to enjoy it a bit.

*sigh* I´ll buy it nevertheless, I think...
Yeah, me too.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

whats the point in a demo if it's nothing like the actual game?
:chew:
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

My guess is that they had to make a demo so they just threw together a few areas and didn't really care. If it means they spent more time on the actual game, then okay. But I thought it went gold like a month ago?
fuck
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

DarkUnderlord wrote:
Strapon2 wrote:
awsome idea.

Nope. Just say you didn't agree with the End-User License Agreement. If you read any of them, they all say you can return this to the store you purchased it from for a FULL refund if you disagree with the EULA. Sure, you might have a legal fight on your hands to actually get them to take it back, but hey, it'd set an interesting precedent.
indeed... you just saved me millions!
or at least $49 ;)