So much for that...

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Rayt
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rayt »

They say a reason for the crappy demo is that it had to be a reasonable download size. IMO, it's a bit of a silly reason. 150 Mb is a huge download for a 56k-er who'll prolly don't even bother to download it and for broadband people it doesn't really matter wheter the demo is 150 Mb or 1500 mb.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I was buying the time constraint excuse, the size shouldn't be an issue anymore.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Killzig wrote:I was buying the time constraint excuse, the size shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Only men with small demos use that excuse.

:badgrin:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I really, really, reeeeeeeeeally want to be able to run in the game. It's like Diablo 1 with purdier pics and SPECIAL. And no blacksmiths with fake, god-awful Irish accents ("Hello, what can I due for ye?").

Running and balanced magic. I started a Sylvant (sp?) with Thought Magic: Cold tagged (among other things) and while the spells dished out some serious damage, the large mana cost for the entry-level spell (ice spike er somethin) made it damn near impossible to advance passed the Crossroads area.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Huan
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Huan »

This demo is poo, utter total poo.

Hopefully the demo is not indicative of the full game at all.

Combat has several irredeemable qualities, gathering glowing spirity things is an assinine game convention, missle is in gross advantage over magic, non combat skills are barely lip serviced...

Character generation is interesting.
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

Killzig wrote:I was buying the time constraint excuse, the size shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Really? Do you know how long it takes me to download anything on a 56K modem?

Even if you ignore people from backwater countries (like myself), I know of plenty of gamers from the U.S. who are still on dial-up. And let's face it, LH is not the type of a game that broadband-using UT2003 players will want to download...
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I understand that Sammy, but you still have other options available to you be it a magazine CD (as IPLY was intending) or getting it downloaded at a local university and putting it on disc.

Either way, I know people who have downloaded much larger on dial up (myself included)...
Jeff
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jeff »

Killzig wrote:Either way, I know people who have downloaded much larger on dial up (myself included)...
Amen! I remember downloading a beta of one game "back in the day", about 1,2GB, big deal :D
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

"beta" heheh right.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

150 megas isn't really a big deal even for people using 56k modems.

Just let it download when you are asleep.

At as speed of 5kb/s, it will take you around 8-8.5 hours.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I've pulled 360 mb on a 28.8k, for crying out loud.

Also, my 56k seems to be better than most, it routinely pulls about 20k/s... not that it still doesn't suck.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

20k/s on a 56k? more like...3. If that.

Buy ya 150mb isnt that bad. It's un-reliable servers that fuck up the dial-up yo
:chew:
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

atoga wrote:Also, my 56k seems to be better than most, it routinely pulls about 20k/s... not that it still doesn't suck.
This is, simply put, not possible. "56k" means that the modem has a maximum download speed of 56 kilobits per second. Since 1 Byte = 8 bits, 56kbit/sec = 7 kByte/sec. 7kB/sec is the maximum theoretical speed attainable on a 56k modem. If your computer is telling you otherwise, it's either A) lying or B) pulling stuff from cache.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

so wait, its special with real-time? thank goodness i checked here before wasting my hdd space on a download.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Sammael wrote:This is, simply put, not possible. "56k" means that the modem has a maximum download speed of 56 kilobits per second. Since 1 Byte = 8 bits, 56kbit/sec = 7 kByte/sec. 7kB/sec is the maximum theoretical speed attainable on a 56k modem. If your computer is telling you otherwise, it's either A) lying or B) pulling stuff from cache.
I don't explain this shit, but it happens. Right now I'm pulling a song at 14k/s.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Hemogolobulous
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hemogolobulous »

Demos are not indicative of everything a game has to offer. Combat sytem is better than Arcanum, better than Baldur's Gate, and better than Neverwinter Nights. The SPECIAL system fits the style just fine, and is more flexible and better balanced than most crpg systems. The graphics are great, the character creation is as flexible as you could ask for without designing your own RPG. The voice acting is good, the story and atmosphere show great promise. Whether it is turn based or real time, a large group of dickheads will whine either way. I think the combat plays just fine; certainly better than Arcanum. It looks to be another fantastic game that won't sell very well because it isn't flashy and simple enough for mainstream gamers. I found the interface to be perfectly managable. Comparing this game to Diablo is like comparing Syphon Filter to Metal Gear. One is more action oriented, but not as complex, the other is for people who don't mind thinking once in a while.
Hemogolobulous' Wondrous Medicinal Compound
Thorndyke
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Thorndyke »

Combat sytem is better than Arcanum, better than Baldur's Gate, and better than Neverwinter Nights.
Yes. Btw, cancer kills more people than AIDS does. So get AIDS everybody!
The SPECIAL system fits the style just fine, and is more flexible and better balanced than most crpg systems.
But you still remember your first sentence, don't you? How can you talk about game balance, when all you have to judge by is low level combat. How many times did you use the Diplomacy skill in the demo for example?
The graphics are great...
They were nice, yes, but some of the animations were kinda silly. Especially the ones of the PC. But that's really just my opinion.
The voice acting is good, the story and atmosphere show great promise.
The accent would get on my nerves pretty quickly, I hope not everybody in the full game talks like that, but you're right, they were professionally done. I totally disagree with what you said about the demos atmosphere. In my opinion, that was what people reminded most of Diablo. See, it's not only the fact, that there is alot of combat going on, the problem is, pretty much ALL of the other aspects of the demo seemed to revolve around combat aswell. Those ridiculous energy balls, the merchant that decided to sell his goodies in the middle of a supposedly dangerous area, the bear that would follow you around for no real reason, other than that you've saved his life (Dogmeat is Dogmeat, we're talking about a fucking BEAR here, even though I had fun trying to keep him alive) and those VERY diabloish hidden treasures. And you just can't blame everything on the fact, that the demo was rushed since some of these "features" WILL eventually be part of the full game. Fucking blue bubbles...
Whether it is turn based or real time, a large group of dickheads will whine either way.
And another group of dickheads will intentionally ignore everything the game lacks to oppose the other dickheads opinions just for the sake of it.
It looks to be another fantastic game that won't sell very well because it isn't flashy and simple enough for mainstream gamers
Whether that, or because it tries way too hard to please the action and the rpg crowd at the same time and fails to appeal very much to either.
But at least you've said one thing we can agree on: This game won't sell very well.

Puh...
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

you rock teh hizzhouse dawg
:chew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Lionheart won't have any success due to it's outdated graphics, maybe it would have been appropriate to release a game like this 2 years ago, a bit after BG2, but now that NWN is out, no one will buy Lionheart.

Both are pretty much leaning toward combat, but one is full 3D with superb graphics and have a DM system with thousands of online world, a lot of em persistant, and you can play the game coop. Now what does Lionheart has to offer against that? A deep story? Make me laugh.
Hemogolobulous
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hemogolobulous »

Yeah. I'm tired of taking a beating for enjoying this demo. Maybe I jumped the gun a little. It's speculation to be sure, but I think that the special system, which is pretty much like GURPS, could be modified to work well in any setting, and I assume (out of ignorance, I'm told) that this game will have enough RPG elements to properly take advantage of it. Maybe the animations weren't spectacular, but I was comparing it to other games of its sort, not Half-Life 2. I think the way that they did the models in 3D and converted them to 2D on the fly worked well, and at least is a hell of a lot more fluid than Arcanum. Everybody is Likening his game to Diablo 2, which suits me fine. I happened to enjoy Diablo 2, and this game adds the heavier RPG aspects that said action game was lacking. And it does so with the excellent special system. As for voice acting and the accents, Rockstar may have the means to get an all-star voice cast, but Reflexive did pretty good with what they had acces to (If the demo is any indication). It annoys me less than Final Fantasy, and that's good enough for me. I have a serious addiction to role playing, and the demo satiated my urge enough to know that I would enjoy playing through the full version. It may not be the pinnacle of my gaming experience, but it'll at least tide me over until Greyhawk is released.
Hemogolobulous' Wondrous Medicinal Compound