Tim Cain p0wnz teh n00bz

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It's doubtful that they will go the way of every general gaming site but regardless, they will still cover all things Fallout. So what difference does it make? If they turn people onto something that may interest them and is relevant, it is a good thing.
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

Ok, i can see where you are coming from, but in rebuttle...

There isnt much news to report on fallout other than what they are doing to fuck it up. That may yet remain to be seen with FO3, but F:POS is already buried in my book. I enjoy reading news about Mr. Cain, mainly cos its not in the negative light most of the other news has been in (not that i dont enjoy that from time to time either). He makes some of the only games that can truely be defined as "role playing" and not "action/adventure" (which is what most RPGs masquerade as now adays). I think its prefectly suitable for DAC.
Last edited by swordinstone on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
archimed
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by archimed »

Hey who knows -- maybe I found arcanum news interesting. It promised a very falloutish universe, even if there were some major changes. It was tim cain's first big project since Fallout (to my recollection), and it was bound to be going somewhere.

I agree with you on all points regarding arcanum however. I will clarify: I didn't hate it, but I couldn't get away from that lukewarm urine-like feeling.
----
'Med
archimed
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by archimed »

Well hey, I think your readership is pretty stolid on this killzig. The unwashed masses have spoken: more tim cain.

Me, I'll just wait it out on the bleachers.
----
'Med
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

archimed wrote:Me, I'll just wait it out on the bleachers.
seems like thats where you've been for the past 5 years anyway :p
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

ah well archie, unlike interplay just cause your opinion is unpopular doesn't me i'm going to ignore it. I'm trying to understand what your qualm is with us posting Tim Cain news. Perhaps if it wasn't turned into such a Tim Cain v current BIS deal you wouldn't have as much trouble with it?
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
archimed
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by archimed »

I appreciate taking my views at least somewhat seriously. I wouldn't bitch and moan here unless I thought it was important.
Perhaps if it wasn't turned into such a Tim Cain v current BIS deal you wouldn't have as much trouble with it?
Nah. Seriously, I couldn't care less about Tim Cain or BIS these days. They both went their seperate ways and take very different approaches to development and marketing. I'm more concerned about the topic itself, ToEE. Hardcore D&D RPG. Not SPECIAL related (even I enjoy SPECIAL news). Not post-apoc related.

Sure, tim and BIS can talk as much shit as they want to each other, but only one on that list is building a post-apoc game.
----
'Med
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Fair enough. I'll see that I'm more conscientious about what I'm posting on DAC. Thanks for the taking the time to voice and listen rather than flame and high tail out.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
archimed
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by archimed »

Eh, and I'll stay off to the sidelines. great writing for years, as if i'd quit now

thanks for the replies.
----
'Med
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Id just like to point out there are several news staff, and fallout related news items come at the rate of about 1/2 a week.

spare time, spare capacity = OH NOOOSssss!!111 reporting other things that some people might find intresting!!!

HOLY FUCK NO! the site isnt focused anymore! DAC now is essentially V13 reporting everything Fallout and anything else intresting.

Or we could go back to RPG Planet DAC with one news post a month.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Well, but we have RPG Codex for general RPG news, where all the staff are Fallout fans who lub Tim anyway (Saint_Prov, Spazmo, Rex, me, etc.), and which has all the Tim Cain news we need. DAC should post, in my opinion, only the most important news about new Troika projects, not all of them.
Last edited by Ausir on Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

DAC should carry on posting everything even the really inane and none related stuff, its good to keep tabs on things and it makes some good discussions.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

You guys are over-reacting about this news post. For one, I've never seen anybody post regular bits on TOEE. And there's lots of new crap to post every day if you keep your eyes open.

If it wasn't for this post JE Sawyer probably never would have replied. So there's your direct connection to Fallout. Something that was originally for laughs sparked a little debate.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I don't really understand archie's objection, since most of the other news stories are items that would interest Fallout fans. Don't change what you're doing, it seems like this guy's bitching just to bitch.
Literacy is overated.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

*is completely fucking ignored*
One day...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah don't stop posting news bits about MTC and his games cause of this frustrated guy.

DAC is perfect as it is now.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Sammael wrote:It didn't work in Pool of Radiance 2. And that is the most recent isometric party-based D&D 3E game we have. It may work in ToEE. I don't know for sure, but I have doubts (mostly concerning the fact that ToEE is little more than a dungeon hack, and dungeon hacking in TB tends to get boring).
The combat worked in PoR2, what didn't work was the dungeons. There's a difference. If the dungeons were smaller, or less populated so you didn't run in to orcs every ten feet, then the combat would be fine.

This argument is like saying turn based in Fallout 2 sucks because you have to fight ants in Broken Hills late in the game. The problem isn't with the combat, the problem is with putting puny ants so far away from the starting location that they're no threat at all once you find them.
But, guess what? RT works as well. IE games have sold much, much more than the recent TB games. From a producer's point of view, it would make zero sense not to include a RT mode, if the programmers can make it work.
Counter argument: Compare the sales of IWD2(2002) to Fallout(1997).
archimed wrote:Why not report every game that Black Isle works on?
Because they get cancelled left and right.
------------------