Sawyer's SPECIAL!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Sawyer's SPECIAL!

Post by Killzig »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong>

I think Sawyer is getting a <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=45" target=_blank>wee bit testy</a> with the forum luddites...
<br><blockquote>
<br>Please read the contents of my previous posts where weight was mentioned as a restriction for encumbrance. Fifteen miniguns or anything close to it would completely halt even a 10 ST character.
<br>
<br>Would you like a realistic volumetric and weight-based inventory? Okay, you can carry a minigun in your hands, two small sidearms, a backpack full of nothing but ammunition, and maybe a small pouch for keycards. You have no room anywhere for anything larger than a pocket bible. If you're wearing any armor, this assumes that you have a 10 ST, and you are still slowed down.
<br>
<br>THIS IS THE FOUNDATION OF FUN! FUN! FUN!</blockquote>
<br>Since when does anyone care about having a realistic inventory system? Where would you carry all those quest items? Are you going to ditch behind your ammo and stim packs to lug a giant piece of machinery back to the vault? No, I think you'd let the vault rot. Afterall, those bastards kicked you out! JE's right on this, realistic inventory == teh suk.
<br>
<br>Next up, <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=#525772" target=_blank>weapon design</a>...
<br><blockquote>
<br>I would definitely like it if flamethrowers looked more like flamethrowers. I've thought about rocket launcher backblast. I think it's a possibility, but I wouldn't consider it under the old Small Guns / Big Guns / Energy Weapons breakdown. Rocket launchers were pretty crummy, overall, in the last two games.
<br>
<br>I would like to see a long-range electrical weapon based off of that neato "phaser" weapon some company is developing.</blockquote>
<br>What about the laser rifle?
Last edited by Killzig on Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

It seems energy weapons don't exist beyond the Turbo Plasma rifle in Sawyer's eyes. As for the flamethrower, I thought it looked good in F1 / F2. I agree that the rocket launcher could use a little more 'kick' however.

Realistic inventory? I couldn't give a shit. Maybe add encumbrance levels, but that's it. And keep the same ol' weight based system.

If Sawyer wants to add rules for sidearms, backpacks etc. (they'd cost less AP to access), then fine, just keep it close to the original.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

he he A Realistic Inventory in an RPG ha ha, what fucktard suggested that?

I hated the way the flame thrower looked in Fallout and I cant even remember what the fuck the rocket launcher looked like.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Flamethrower was nice and bulky.

like I said in some other post, I'm playing Deus Ex right now, and not being able to turn the sniper's rifle so that I could pack a couple of more weapons pisses me off...

Touch the inventory system of Fo, and die.
Last edited by Smiley on Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Testicular Pugilist
Banko
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Banko »

where'd you get Deus Ex 2?
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I was about to ask the same question.

Why does Sawyer feel the need to fuck with everything? Like I said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was only 2-4 things I guess that would have needed anything done about them, that would improve gameplay. What those things are elude me right now, maybe I should go play through F2 again.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yea really, where did you get it?

(is it fun!? :shock: )

oh, and:
weight based inventory is by far the most fun, because you don't have to worry about all that "room" you need just to pick up a large item.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

spyder07 wrote:I was about to ask the same question.

Why does Sawyer feel the need to fuck with everything? Like I said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was only 2-4 things I guess that would have needed anything done about them, that would improve gameplay. What those things are elude me right now, maybe I should go play through F2 again.
You sound like a broken record player, fix it.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

Fallout Junkie wrote:he he A Realistic Inventory in an RPG ha ha, what fucktard suggested that?
I did not suggest a realistic inventory system. Rather, I suggested that characters should not be able to haul shitloads of bulky stuff (miniguns, PA, etc.) around.

Of course, all the little powergamers get pissed, because my system doesn't let them carry two primary and fifteen auxilliary weapons on them.

As for the quest items, just how big are they normally? If they are reasonably small (as most quest items are), my proposed change (see the thread on IPLY's board) wouldn't affect them. At all. And if you have to haul a V8 engine across southern CA for a fucking FedEx quest, well, that's the designer's fault. Not mine.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Look at Arcanum. It had both weight and volumetric inventory system. I didn't like it to much myself but I guess it was kind of realistic.

But then who's to say that you can only carry so much stuff? I mean, with a simple clothes line you could easily strap 2-3 extra guns on your body in various places.
Last edited by spyder07 on Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Heh, remember in Arcanum that ginormous statue you had to lug back to the beauty/orgy temple ? What about the giant stones in the field you had to lift?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Banko wrote:where'd you get Deus Ex 2?
I have no idea where that 2 snuck in from..! Maybe I meant "too"?...

Anyway, I meant the normal Deus Ex xD

Deus Ex 2 isn't bound for another year or so.
Testicular Pugilist
Jeff
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jeff »

Smiley wrote:Touch the inventory system of Fo, and die.
They should make it larger though, like half a dozen rows so you don't have to scroll like hell a'la FO1/2... this was especially annoying in FO1 where the new items appeared at the bottom of the inventory :S
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Smiley wrote:Touch the inventory system of Fo, and die.
They should make it larger though, like half a dozen rows so you don't have to scroll like hell a'la FO1/2... this was especially annoying in FO1 where the new items appeared at the bottom of the inventory :S
I liked the tabbed sorting system that the FOT demo had. Tabbed browsing of your inventory == teh good.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I do believe that's what JE wants to do: keep roughly the same system, but make it into more columns to reduce scrolling.

I'm not sure what the word on tabs is, but I heartily aprove of it!
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Araanor
Respected
Respected

Post by Araanor »

Killzig wrote:Heh, remember in Arcanum that ginormous statue you had to lug back to the beauty/orgy temple ? What about the giant stones in the field you had to lift?
That's what the belt slots are for! :)
Tekkaman_Blade
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tekkaman_Blade »

Araanor wrote:
That's what the belt slots are for! :)
Heh, I remember doing that.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

If he's going to change the inventory system, then he should at least use bags, backpacks and duffel bags to keep it interesting.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Bags?

Post by N »

The first Fallout HAD containers you could carry, and I'd always spend all this time sorting and meticulously arranging supplies in my ammo bag, drug bag, explosive bag, etc. I liked the little cases for carrying stuff.

And honestly, that's what it comes down to -- I always envisioned that, if my character is carrying all that stuff, then he FOUND a way to carry it. Cords, boxes, bags, straps, etc. Shit, I've gone backpacking and carried a rather fantastic amount of stuff, and while I couldn't immediately "access" it all, I could, in fact carry it without TOO much difficulty.

You know what is funny, though -- how in the original Fallout, recently used items went to the bottom of your inventory list, and 'last used' items were at the bottom in Fallout 2. How about just letting us move them around, and not auto ordering things? For as much as I didn't enjoy FOT, the inventory system was nice. The auto full loading of some of the weapons when you equipped them, and the automatic unloading of all of it's ammo when you unequipped it, was nice, too -- at least I thought so.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I guess I didn't play FOT long enough to realize that stuff. That does sound like a better way to do things...... Wow did I just say some good came of FOT?