Daily Forum Stuff 08.07

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Talk about making no sense, bbm...
Literacy is overated.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

I'm talking about the fact that when you create a character, all your stats start at 5 (average), yet you still get five additional stat points to put them above average. To those who skipped over page one, see my origional post for relevency to topic.
One day...
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Average wasteland dweller = average stat of 4-5 (or possibly less). Crappy and stupid.

Vault dweller hero = average stat of just under 6. If a couple of their stats are low, that means that they will indeed be gifted in quite a few areas... and they don't even need to take the Gifted trait.

Vault dweller hero w/ Gifted = average stat of just under 7 (!). Quite good in ALL areas, or possibly of genius/paragon level in a few stats while average in a few others.

So maybe we should change the name of Gifted to 'Super Genius' or something?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

atoga wrote:So maybe we should change the name of Gifted to 'Super Genius' or something?
Changing the name wont' make it balanced.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Adding a stiffer penalty to it will :D
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Make "Gifted" get a perk every 4 levels and hey presto! It becomes just like "Skilled"... Entirely useless and never chosen. :)

Would that be balanced?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Briareus wrote:atoga wrote:
So maybe we should change the name of Gifted to 'Super Genius' or something?
Changing the name wont' make it balanced.
I was being sarcastic you idiot developer.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Make "Gifted" get a perk every 4 levels and hey presto! It becomes just like "Skilled"... Entirely useless and never chosen. :)

Would that be balanced?
Skilled was never taken because the benefit in no way shape or form was equal to the penalty. Skilled is just as unbalanced as Gifted. Since no one ever took Skilled, there isn't much rabble-rabble-rabble going on over beefing it up.

atoga wrote:I was being sarcastic you idiot developer.
Hey, I don't know ya well enough to know when you're being sarcastic or serious. Besides, it wasn't the first time someone has proposed just changing the name. :shock:
Inin
Regular
Regular

Post by Inin »

Tried posting this yesterday, just before the server went down. Anyway, here's my thoughts:

Average wasteland dweller: Their stats are low because food & water are scarce in the wastes. Radiation poisoning might also be factored in. Remember, it will permanently lower stats if it builds up in your system.

Vault dweller/hero: Their stats are that way due to food & water being available. They also have regular schooling, possibly physical training, and most importantly, no exposure to radiation.

Vault dweller/hero with Gifted: Same as above, only he/she is born with that wildcard gene that some people have(enter Gifted Trait explanation from the game here).

-Inin
Fight the Good Fight-
and die with the enemies' heart in your hand.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

What about the chosen one, tho? He had none of that nonexposure, training, or education.
One day...
Inin
Regular
Regular

Post by Inin »

BBM2-

The Chosen One was Fallout 2. Do I really need to point out yet another flaw with the sequel? Not trying to put you down or anything, I just really don't even consider F2 when I think about the Fallout Universe. It would have made a better game if the Chosen One had started out with lower stats or some radiation poisoning. Something that actually challenged him more than that stupid Temple. Obtaining some RadAway to get rid of the radiation poisoning would have been a nice ongoing sidequest.

-Inin
Fight the Good Fight-
and die with the enemies' heart in your hand.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Actually, I'm pretty sure the hero in Fallout 1 is referred to as the "Chosen One" at some point in time. Seeing as he was kinda chosen and all...

There's been nothing said that Fallout 3 would start with the player in a Vault either. Also, the Vault might have had a leak, or some other ineteresting thing happen to it to set the scene, hence making him radioactive like everyone else.

... and what of the low intel characters, how do they have schooling? Do they get it even if they can't understand it?

I dunno, I think you're presuming too much about the background of the character. As JE has said though, skills start at 0%. So no training for you!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Why gifted is unbalanced IMAH

Post by Grey Fil »

1 point that seems to be forgoten is specialization. Most ppl specialize in some areas (sniper, thief,etc). The character will have therefore 6 more points to put on the basic stats that are important to his speciality(es). The lost skill points in the skills he wants to really improve are easily compensated and the loss in other skills becomes irrelevant giving an high level of specialization from the beginning. Or so I think...
Carpe jugulum.