Freedom Fighters Demo Released

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Freedom Fighters Demo Released

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

<html><body><P>IO Interactive and Electronic Arts are allowing a taste of their alternate history squad based shooter. The <A HREF=http://www.eagames.com/official/freedom/news.jsp target=_blank>75 MB demo</A> has one level and with no multiplayer support to look forward to (at least in the retail PC version). Here are the details:</P><blockquote><em><B>Level:</B> Post Office

<B>Mission:</B> Capture the Post Office, which was overrun by the Soviets and is now being used as an operations base. Defeat the Soviets, and raise the American flag to successfully complete the mission. Your sub-mission--blow up a Soviet Fuel Depot.

<B>Fighters:</B> Recruit and lead up to three Freedom Fighters in a battle to capture the Post Office. The final game allows you to recruit up to 12 fighters.

Arm yourself with over 7 different weapons such as the AK-47, sniper rifle, and the Molotov Cocktail.</em></blockquote><P>At the moment only the <A HREF=http://www.eagames.com/official/freedom/news.jsp target=_blank>Freedom Fighters homepage</A>, <A HREF=http://www.3dgamers.com/games/freedomfighters/ target=_blank>3D Gamers</A>, and <A HREF=http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=3524 target=_blank>FileShack</A> (registration required) have download mirrors.</P></body></html>
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Heh, I downloaded this thing and when I try to run the config or launch the game it tells me my nVidia drivers are too old. Kinda strange, considering I updated last week.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Tell me if it's fun Max, I have 56k and don't really wanna download this if it's gonna suck.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It's ok. The AI is pretty good for the most part. They duck behind stuff and follow your basic orders (follow, defend, scout). Graphics are nice. It runs smooth on different resolutions.

I hate how they force you to use their keyboard configuration. The options menu says in big bold letters "Not Configurable" which doesn't make any sense to me. The single level is way too dark. A tiny bit of daylight makes the screen mostly black for me. Even with gamma correction maxed out it's like I'm running blind. A pain in the ass, so I'll try the demo again later tonight.

Ever play The Thing? This is sort of like it but with jumping/climbing, and better squad AI. Combat is the same, and you even have the "steadied aim" option. I'm not sure if friendly fire is enabled, but I purposely emptied a pistol into one of my buddies and he just stood there saying "Ouch" and shit and didn't do anything. Kind of a bummer.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

I have played The Thing and liked it, alright I'm downloading now... 4 hours yay.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Its worth the download...you'll play it for a while and the enemy AI is satisying to fight against ( read : decently reactive ), though they take a few more hits to take down for my tastes ( short of a brain pan shot ).

Don't run and gun...you'll die...

Use your squaddies smartly...as if you were playing a tb game with a party...they can die fast too as they listen to you and will charge into shitty odds.

The control is a typical FPS setup ( WASD ), so being non-configurable its minor ( though its also minor to implement so to leave it out is odd )

Have yet to get through the demo myself.

Cheers
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

if your a lefty the controls are a bitch.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

You too Carrot? Us poor lefties :(
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

That's what you get for being freaks

although a leftie friend of my apprently uses a superior hand-crampt-less key config.
Foldy
Regular
Regular

Post by Foldy »

Oh, us lefties need not apply?

I won't bother with the download then.

No matter...
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Wow, I'm getting 350+ k/sec from the game's homepage. Nice. (~3 minutes to DL it :D)

*cough* Anyway, I'll post my thoughts about it after I play it. It'll have to wait till I'm done playing Raven Shield co-op, though, and that might not be for a while.

...not to hijack the topic or anything...

EDIT: BTW, I'm a lefty too, but I used the standard WSAD FPS setup, so I guess I'm the exception to the "rool" :lol:

EDIT #2: No multiplayer for the PC version? Is that final? WTF are these people thinking? ARE these people thinking? Eh, I have a GameCube (shhh don't tell anyone), maybe I'll rent it and see...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jed
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jed »

You guys should be checking out Silent Storm instead. As much like a 3D JA2 as you can imagine.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Silent Storm sounds good, but the whole WW2 setting doesn't grab me.
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Silent Storm

Post by N »

Even if the WW2 might not "grab you" -- get the demo!

It is very fun, tons of tactics, GREAT turn based combat, lots of combat options, etc.

If only Fallout 3 could be with slightly simplified combat 'stats' and with the RPG elements, like this game... *sigh*

Seriously though, the Silent Storm demo is quite fun. Check it out.
Jed
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Jed »

Mad Max RW wrote:Silent Storm sounds good, but the whole WW2 setting doesn't grab me.
I hear ya there, WWII doesn't really light my fire either, but gimme TB WWII over RT Post-Apoc/Sci-Fi any day...
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Jed wrote:
Mad Max RW wrote:Silent Storm sounds good, but the whole WW2 setting doesn't grab me.
I hear ya there, WWII doesn't really light my fire either, but gimme TB WWII over RT Post-Apoc/Sci-Fi any day...
o/ go hardcore tb fans!
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I can't find the Silent Storm demo O_o

Anyway: Freedom fighters is a damn luvverly game ^^

Good blend of cartoony arcade fun, Realism, and CQB tactics/squad command. Download, definitely worth it. I've played it through about 10 times so far, and failed it about 40 ;)

Difficult if you're not extremely careful :)
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Silent Storm Demo

Post by N »

You can find it at 3dgamers.com