FO/FO2 Sprites for FoT

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

FO/FO2 Sprites for FoT

Post by OnTheBounce »

Well, after months of delay (read: procrastination) and a couple of false starts, I've rolled up the ol' sleeves and dug into my project of getting those FO and FO2 sprites done up for FoT. This is the third night I've been working on it and I have the following things done:
  • Armor
  • Ammo
  • Books
  • Chems
  • Drinks
  • Food
  • HoloDisks
  • Keys
I'm doing all sprites that there are FRMs for, even the ones that looked better in FoT, e.g. the Cat's Paw Mag, just in case some of you ultra-purists out there want to use them.

I'll post progress reports as I get further. I should be done in another couple of nights, then I'll zip 'em up and mail 'em off to DaC.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Permission to put 'em on my site, SIR!!! *salut*

Er, oh wait... if they're on DaC... my site's on DaC... double posting... awwww nevermiiiiiiiinnnnnnd...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Permission to put 'em on my site, SIR!!! *salut*

Er, oh wait... if they're on DaC... my site's on DaC... double posting... awwww nevermiiiiiiiinnnnnnd...
We can post 'em on your site and submit news that they're there. It doesn't matter to me as long they're available.

Cheers,

OTB

PS Don't call me sir, I work for a living. ;)

PPS RedViewer is practically allowing me to mass produce these things. I make sprites much more quickly than I used to. ("Thanks, Red!")
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

great, can't wait to see the results :)
- who's the one to BLAME!? -
- shin! shin! sei! kyuu! sai! -
- hail the mushroom cloud -

me not like my english ;)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

MacBeth wrote:great, can't wait to see the results :)
Why thank you. Neither can I. I'm blind right now, you see. :lol:

And more progress yet:
  • Money
  • Papers
  • Sensory Enhancers
  • Skill Enhancers
This leaves only "Weapons" and "Useful Items" (which is what I chucked everything into that didn't fit somewhere else), so I still have quite a bit of work left. However, I should have the weapons done in two days, then a max of two days for the other category.

Dare I say it? Only four more days 'til I'm done? Maybe less? :o

Okay, a little bit of browsing, then it's off to bed so I can see visions of Spray, Photoshop and RedViewer in my fucking sleep...

OTB
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

OTB be sure to check all of the ones already created at my site so you don't duplicate ones already created. Alot of weapons have been made by Macbeth already.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:
Max-Violence wrote:Permission to put 'em on my site, SIR!!! *salut*

We can post 'em on your site and submit news that they're there. It doesn't matter to me as long they're available.
Yaaaaaaaay!!!
OTB wrote:PS Don't call me sir, I work for a living. ;)
I will call you what-ever I want to call you, maggot!
OTB wrote:Thanks, Red!
I second that!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:OTB be sure to check all of the ones already created at my site so you don't duplicate ones already created. Alot of weapons have been made by Macbeth already.
My intent is to create a handy file that a modder can dl and have each and every sprite available to him/her. If they then want to mix-'n'-match after that, more power to them. I was looking at MacBeth's sprites and while there will be some duplication, a number of nominally identical sprites are actually executed differently, e.g. the M-60 machinegun. The way I see it, the more choices modders have the better off they are. (More choice w/no real investment of time = even better.)

I had started to put a list together of all the sprites that were already done, but it became a bit confusing trying to remember to check the list as to whether or not something had been done already, so I opted for my current approach.

Hopefully no one will take this as an indictment of the quality of the sprites that they've made, as I certainly don't intend it as one.
MV wrote:I will call you what-ever I want to call you, maggot!
Go get the castor oil, youngster. (::singing:: Small fry... ::singing:: )

Okay, today's progress report...I didn't have much time today, so I didn't finish either remaining category, but I completed the following sub-categories:
  • Blades
  • Explosives
  • Grenades (Yes, the Holy Hand Grenade is included.)
  • Heavy
  • Melee
Stay tuned for further updates.

OTB

Edited for typos and for clarification.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, yet another progress report:
  • Miniguns
  • Pistols
  • Rifles
  • Rocket
  • SMGs
  • Spears
  • Thrown
  • Unarmed
That means the weapons are now complete. All I have left now is the catch-all "Useful Objects", and I have to go back and do the two robes. So far 8 sprites are done in this category, which leaves 84 left to do. This category is a bit more difficult than the others since it requires lots of hunting around for something w/an appropriate default image and won't require too much resizing.

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Just awesome OTB. Always expect the best from the best!

Cheers,

Flamescreen
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:Just awesome OTB. Always expect the best from the best!
:oops:

Thanks, FS.

Oh, btw, does anyone have the FRMs extracted right now? I noticed that I don't have an FRM for the Bridgekeeper's robes saved on my FRM CD. If one of you could send me that it would be very much appreciated since it would save me having to install a DAT extractor and fiddling around w/that again.

Okay, 241 down, 84 to go...too bad my little brother's turning 30 today, so I probably won't get much work done. :(

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I'll try to see what i can do. i have to replace my old versions with F:Radioactive for some reason ,so surely i have it. Hopefully by the weekend.

Oh, and happy birthday to your bro, though late it is. It was a good year '73. They made me, so it gotta be! :lol:

Cheers,

Flamescreen
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:Oh, and happy birthday to your bro, though late it is. It was a good year '73. They made me, so it gotta be! :lol:
I think you're conveniently forgetting the huge oil crisis that year, too. ;)

All right, another progress report: counting today's 27 sprites there are 268 complete, with 57 remaining to be completed.

OTB
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

OTB... you might not wanna hear this...

But make sure you get the bounding box stuff correct in the .spr files. Ie, those crazy numbers above the "height" and "width" dimensions in spray.

I tried to do a similar project... and noticed that alot of my sprites were "off center" I guess you could say. It might all depend on how streamlined you're doing the project (some of mine was trial and error).

It's a pain, but you wont find out if they're like that until you see them in the game - since spray doesn't display the effects of the bounding box.

Also - and you probably know this by now... alot of the sprites in Fo1/2 are larger than is acceptable in FOT. So you hafta resize them.

Supposedly FOT will clip objects that are larger than a certain size... im guessing about 134x54 (large) and half that for the mini ones. I remember that warning from spray's documentation so i've adhered strictly to it.

Some sprites from Fo1/2 look sw33t when antialiased thru resizing, others not so well (5mm ammo and the Laser pistol are two I had probs with for that).

just a piece of advice...
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

^ That's ok, I'm sure he checked it. I've seen a few of his pieces already and they were good. If you want to try with sprey/redview, try using the tutorials, great help they are.

And hey, OTB, who told you I forgot that? I'm just all for Hydrogen fuel and such!(damn, I did forgot though. Now what, i think Rael started his movement that year too. Oil crisis and religion extremes. Should tell you something about us 73 weirdos :lol: )
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Definitely I always check my sprites for any random problems in game before I zip them up and send them out.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, another progress report:

I have only completed two sprites since the last time I posted, but I've been going back and checking my work, making sure that the sprites all work.

SirGalahadWizard: Thanks for the warnings, but I was already aware of these problems. Yes, some of the sprites are a bit ugly when you resize them, especially since I have to use the "Nearest Neighbor" algorithm rather than the other, smoother ones, or else I get a "halo" around some of the images. But for the most part they look pretty decent.

BTW, I do not need the FRM for the Bridgekeeper's Robe. I could have sworn that it was brown and had its own, unique image. However, after checking with the FO2 Mapper last night, I'm forced to conclude that my memory of a brown robe is an invented one, probably the product of the in-game sprite of the Bridgekeeper. The item desc also mentions its color being purple. ("...You have no idea why its purple.")

I did get some work done of Nuke on the Rubble yesterday, since I was getting a bit sick of sprite-making, though. I touched on that portion of a FoT map that I hate the most: Speech. :o Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end. Right? That's what I keep telling myself, at least. :lol:

OTB
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

I take it you've resolved your brown pipe rifle issues then. Did you ever work out what was causing it in the end?
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:I take it you've resolved your brown pipe rifle issues then. Did you ever work out what was causing it in the end?
I think it had something to do w/the fact that the old one I had was made from a screenshot. These new ones are made w/RedViewer and using the FO pallete, so I haven't encountered anything like that.

Another progress report: 324 sprites complete! I think that's all of them now, although I'll go back through and check. Now all I have to do is to check out the sprites for problems.

I have no idea how large this package will be since the folder I'm working on has scads and scads of RAW, TGA and ACT files in it. I wouldn't even hazard a guess, either, except to say that it shouldn't be too painful, even for dial-up slobs like myself.

Incidentally, there are some FRMs that did not make the conversion to SPR format, but that's because they were duplicates of others, such as the two eyes, three brains, and the oxygen bottle/poison tank.

Okay, back to browsing, them to get something to eat before I settle down to making a shitload of generic items to test sprites with...

Cheers,

OTB
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Cool, eyeballs (actually they're quite good on toast). That sprite package sounds useful. Thanks for all the work OTB
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.