Troika's Next?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

SuperH is right. Think about it, too. Fallout took Place in Southern California. mad Max took place in Australia. Both places are already deserts (for the most part).
One day...
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

spyder07 wrote: Yeah um you ever seen beyond the thuderdome? Watch it and get the facts right.
According to the Road Warrior there was no nuclear apocalyps. 2 nations went to war and they DID use the bombs but civilisation didn' t totally break down right after that. It was when the fuelwells ran dry that people started to riot and loot and it was THIS that caused the chaos and the end of civilisation. In Thunderdome they let explain the Lost Tribe about the Apocatlyps (or whatever they call it, which sounds like a Mayan god, but that isn' t the point) but you can' t accept this as a true account of what happenned since none or most of them wouldn' t have been around when the bombs fell. They only know a tell-tale spiced up with own interpretations passed down to them. And we all know that oral-passed history has the tendency to be not entirly true to the facts.

Unless you' ve got an other interpretation? I' m open for suggestions. This is only how I experienced it.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Lucifer's Hammer

Post by N »

Good post apoc setting -- something like the aftermath of an asteriod(s) like in the book 'Lucifer's Hammer'.

Also, I think something along the lines of the 3+ books in 'The Stones of Power'' (the David Gemell books about Jon Shannow) would be REALLY interesting/fun as well.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I think thinking it's post-apoc is just wishful thinking? Looks a bit to healthy and wild (alien or prehistoric) compared to run-down civilisation and stuff like after an apocalypse, though a game isn't post-apoc just because of some ruins.
:chew:

Post by Guest »

That bridge looked pretty ruined.

Anyway, that art looks great. Troika making any post-apoc game has to be a good thing.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

So what if the nature looks 'healthy', area around Chernobyl is covered with lush forests and wildlife. Perhaps there was no nuclear war in Troika's setting, or even if there was, maybe it was thousands of years ago.

By the way, the sky in Fallout is also... ahem, blue.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Well going by your logic, we're living in a post-apocalptic world at the moment? Damn ice-age :crycyrycyr:

Also the greenery around chernobyl might be lush and stuff, but it still looks like shit, ruined buildings and stuff. To me I guess it just doesn't post-apoc? Giant trees on ancient blocks doesn't seem that..desperate.
:chew:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Regardless of whether you think it's post apocalyptic or not, the headings at Chris Glenn's website clearly say "post-apoc_01, post-apoc_02" and so on.

And I was thinking, if every inch of the world was nuked, there wouldn't be anything left. Things wouldn't be able to live there for thousands of years. The most likely scenario is the earth going off its axis a couple degrees. That can cause more destruction than anything, but life will not be completely destroyed. I think that can make for a cool setting. People struggling to survive after the environment goes insane.

Oh yeah, and did you ever see The Postman? It's post apocalyptic and trees are everywhere.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Now we should define what is post-apoc I think.

But w/e, I'm still unsure about this, Troika couldn't deliver us any good game yet, so even if the setting is good, will the game be good? As of now we got a buggy game and then a weird TB dungeon game.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Im personally thinking its a post apocalyptic game in which humanity never reclaimed its technology and now hundreds (if not thousands) of years later the plants have grown back and the trees are generally bigger and whatnot due to long term growth and mutation. That would be at least somewhat more original than anything else in the works right now.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Anyone notice the 3D model for the desert guy picture in the 3D Work section. Its good to begin with but would look a lot better in game if it certainly is part of this post apoc game.
Grifman
SDF!
SDF!

Gamma World

Post by Grifman »

The rumor is that the game will be based upon the RPG "Gamma World".

Grifman
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I think that can be very cool. All we need is a whole new crowd of purists collectively bitching for the next 5 years :P
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Mad Max RW wrote:I think that can be very cool. All we need is a whole new crowd of purists collectively bitching for the next 5 years :P
Great. At least we'll have the experience necesary to teach them how to be good at it.

As for this Gamma World, please explain further for the uneducated.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

On a second lok Id definately say that this is NYC, in pic 3 if you look closely at the left-hand building it has the distinctive curves and windowing of the Empire State Building. Just in case anyone missed it.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Zetura Dracos wrote:As for this Gamma World, please explain further for the uneducated.
Here's some basic info on Gamma World.

Something that isn't mentioned in the above link is that it's also a retro-tech setting, so you will see things like bubble cars akin to those seen in The Jetsons laying about.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

OnTheBounce wrote: Something that isn't mentioned in the above link is that it's also a retro-tech setting, so you will see things like bubble cars akin to those seen in The Jetsons laying about.
Depends on which version you play. I think theres like 5 versions. The latest one was printed by Wizards of the Coast and took out alot of the elements from the original Gamma World setting ((I only have this version unfortunetly)). It was a setting for the Alternity game, which they unfortunetly abandoned for the D20. Alot of people didn't like the new one, however,I don't care either way since I never played the old version.
Harriers for the cup.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

bloodbathmaster2 wrote: Image
Can we say Fremen? Yes, yes we can.

Basically, if it's made by Troika, it's gonna rock. There's a small chance that it's gonna screw up but so far, I doubt it.

Game Developers must have Post Apoc Fever. Too. Many. Nukes.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Depends on which version you play. I think theres like 5 versions. The latest one was printed by Wizards of the Coast and took out alot of the elements from the original Gamma World setting ((I only have this version unfortunetly)). It was a setting for the Alternity game, which they unfortunetly abandoned for the D20. Alot of people didn't like the new one, however,I don't care either way since I never played the old version.
Yes, I discovered this after I posted when I got a bit nostalgic about games past and poked around a bit. You are correct, there are five versions w/the Alternity version being the fifth and final one, and also being released one month after the Alternity system was canned.

I couldn't believe the extent to which they apparently modified (read: shoe-horned) Gamma World in order to make it fit w/Alternity. No Mutated Animals or Plants?! No Robots?! WTF?!

I really wish that gaming companies would just let settings die, rather than trying to adapt them to whatever ruleset is the flavor of the week. While I can see why a company would like to keep its games as standardized as possible -- those of us that played more T$R games than just D&D/AD&D back in the '80s can attest to the pains of playing widely differing games -- but mangling games each time the flagship product gets a new edition...that's just fucking rubbish.

BTW, I'm getting the sense the Mr. Green is in the process of discovering the works of Frank Herbert. ;)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

I'm indiffrent on the matter, probably because I never played any of the old PnP systems. Of all the d20 ones out there, DnD, Starwars, and the 7 Seas Pirate mods are all solid.
One day...