Fire Support during Combat (or even non-combat situation)

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
lam_par
SDF!
SDF!

Fire Support during Combat (or even non-combat situation)

Post by lam_par »

It'll be fun if players can call in indirect fire from high track weapons (i.e. artillery) or air-strike (from Close Air Support fighters/bombers or Unmanned Aerial Combat Vehicle). For strategic solution, player can even call in orbital strikes from a rail gun or laser mounted on a low-orbit satellite.

Players may require skills/perks like Forward Observer or Ground Forward Air Controller so as to guide in the fire. (Hmm...then again, it may not be wise to call in artillery in a close quarters combat...)

Else, players may also launch short-ranged rockets (like setting up of explosives) during non-combat situations. For example, players may wish to preposition a barrage of rockets aimed at a target - that will launch on a countdown ticker or via remote control.

It will be much fun to flush out the enemy, or wake them from their sleep prior to close quarters combat.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Doesn't really belong in an RPG, there was going to be some fire support in FOT but it didn't make it in, I guess it really depends on the plot. Somehow I can't really see any plot in FO3 that would allow for this after all who's going to be providing the fire support? Maybe the end plot device could use an orbital laser (would make a change from setting off a nuke or causing a reactor meltdown I suppose) to finish off the bad guy but it wouldn't really fit with the Fallout theme.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

The artillery idea is good, though. I mean, it wouldn't be too hard to get a few obsolete 75mm or 105mm arty pieces from an un-nuked Army base or National Guard armory. Especially if you're talking about a well organized group like the Hubologists or the Brotherhood of Steel.

It could be pre-positioned in towns and bases that you visit, and a scripted large attack by raiders could happen, causing an arty strike. Its pretty plausible, all things considered. Hell, if you want a good story twist, try being one of those raiders and trying to survive the attack.
T51b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by T51b »

The Sattelite idea is a bit out there, bro. As much as a laser-death sattelite fits with the '50s pulp sci-fi, the idea of your character being able to bring down havoc with one after a nuclear exchange is pretty doubtable. The artillery would be a good idea for Fallout Tactics 2, if they ever made it, but wouldn't really belong in an RPG because I don't see how your party could have organic artillery following them around everywhere. Would be cool though to maybe use a stationary one in the game like you did in Fallout 2 to get into the SAD... Maybe you could have to use it to stop a vehicle or clear rubble or blast open a door or something...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It could be done like the siege of Sundernesserallalalal (whatever) in Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal. But nononononono such things as clicking with your mouse in a battle and bombing the enemy to pieces, NO, that would be utter shit.

But a static artillery somewhere, like a big fight between two organized factions, would be really cool.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Fire Support during Combat (or even non-combat situation

Post by Franz Schubert »

lam_par wrote:It'll be fun if players can call in indirect fire from high track weapons (i.e. artillery) or air-strike (from Close Air Support fighters/bombers or Unmanned Aerial Combat Vehicle). For strategic solution, player can even call in orbital strikes from a rail gun or laser mounted on a low-orbit satellite.
No, that wouldn't be fun at all.
T51b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by T51b »

Sure it would be fun.

If we were playing Command and Conquer.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

My words exactly.

Artillery and other finer pieces of military hardware just don't fit in a post-apocalyptic roleplaying game as active elements.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Artillery and other finer pieces of military hardware just don't fit in a post-apocalyptic roleplaying game as active elements.
Maybe not in FO3, but definitely FOT2.

As for it being a finer piece of military hardware, it wouldn't be all that hard to rig a 105mm arty piece as a direct fire weapon (AT too if you have any rounds, and there are any working tanks left to shoot at). HE rounds can be quite effective against assaulting infantry, especially if you can figure out a way to put steel on target through direct fire.

As for FO3, an old, rusty arty piece could be used by some defence force of some random town (Vault City is under attack! AAHH! Lynnette gets her head blown off!). Its not very inconcieveable. But the player shouldn't be able to accually use the cannon. You could put in an interesting gopher mission involving scrounging for arty rounds at an old Army base thats crawling with muties.
lam_par
SDF!
SDF!

Post by lam_par »

Circus cannons can be useful too - to launch ghouls over fortified positions in a siege situation. DIRTY BOMBS!!! (or tactical nukes..whichever way you like it) :badgrin:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Howabout.... naw

F3 should be at least 1/2-- I hope more-- RPG and less combat. A feature like this is neeto, but how would it fit into fallout?