Gauss Rifle question

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Gauss Rifle question

Post by Raksha »

Out of curiosity, and because it irritates me quite a bit, is there a reason the Gauss rifle is next to useless against an opponent in Power Armor? Other than the obvious "it's supposed to be" of course.
<i>Spelling and grammar are to the internet world as tooth-brushing and hair-washing are
to the real world. No matter how nice of a person you are, people are still going to
form a bad opinion of you based on your outward presentation and hygiene.</i>
Pialojo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Location: Perth, Western Australia - the most isolated capital city in the world

Re: Gauss Rifle question

Post by Pialojo »

Raksha wrote:Out of curiosity, and because it irritates me quite a bit, is there a reason the Gauss rifle is next to useless against an opponent in Power Armor? Other than the obvious "it's supposed to be" of course.
Ummm... It's not. The guys in the enclave own with it! They do like 20 damage a shot, two shots per turn to your advanced power armor mark II! You can do way more to them if you aim for their eyes (I don't know about unaimed shots because I never use them :D ). It's the best small gun in the game, I can usually kill an enclave trooper with two shots two the eyes. It's supposed to be able to penetrate power armor cause it has really small bullets and works like a rail-gun (I think) and in my experience it does, maybe you just have a really crap small guns skill or the one handed trait...
These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Look at the stats of the Gauss 2 mm ammo... It's the ideal weapon for penetrating armor, and also do a huge amount of damage due to the ammo damage mode and the rifle itself.
Negadas
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Negadas »

Ive never had any problems killing enclave troops with a gause rifle before.
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

Maybe I really should bring my copy back to the store and demand a new one... once again, this turns out to be a problem only for me and not for anyone else. :)

With a small guns skill at 125% and no one-handed trait in sight, the Gauss Rifle kept doing between 5 and 10 points of damage to people in Power Armour, regardless of where I aimed, which was a bit annoying. I'll just have to reinstall and patch all over, I suppose...
<i>Spelling and grammar are to the internet world as tooth-brushing and hair-washing are
to the real world. No matter how nice of a person you are, people are still going to
Budmilka
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Budmilka »

No, the damages you give aren't linked to your small guns skill %.
This % represents the to hit %, not the damage caused.

Maybe you cause less damage than usual because you might have a low score on LUCK...

:roll:

PS : Sorry if my english isn't good :)
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

That would make sense, since I do have an rather low luck score. But wouldnt' that affect the other weapons as well, and the amount of damage inflicted on other types of armour as well? I'm confused.

*blinkblink* Another European? Yay! :)
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

There's tons of europeans here. Not me though.

The damage is linked to your luck and your skill in that it'll cause more damage when you get a critical hit. 125% is actually a very low gun skill, you can get it up to 300% in fallout2. Keep working on it.
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

SuperH wrote:There's tons of europeans here. Not me though.
Nonsense. If I haven't seen them yet, they don't exist. That's the internet reality. ;)
SuperH wrote:The damage is linked to your luck and your skill in that it'll cause more damage when you get a critical hit. 125% is actually a very low gun skill, you can get it up to 300% in fallout2. Keep working on it.
Workng on it... that gun *shall* do its job, or be eaten.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

You never need more than 150% in the weapons skills.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you haven' t picked the Finesse trait? And another one: doesn' t the Gauss gun fall in the Energy weapons category?

And indeed there are a lot of Europeans on the boards, but I assume that some of us are a bit intimidated by our English-speaking friends.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Lup_Alb_13
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Lup_Alb_13 »

No. The Gauss gun is a "small guns skill" weapon. The "energy guns skill" weapons are the Laser rifle and the Plasma rifle. And it is better to use plasma rifle against guards in power armor (I allways use targeted shots, 1 to the legs to get them down and 1 to the eyes after that. It is easyer to get a criticall hit when the enemy is knocked down).
Sommetimes the truth is at the wrong side of the shotgun barrel ...
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

The only thing I'm sure of right now is that it was a mistake to give Marcus a bozar... I have killed him for stupidly shooting at Cassidy with it.

I can't remember right now if I have the finesse trait or not. Why? How does that affect the amount of damage a gauss rifle does?
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Finesse: Less damage, but ten percent higher critical hit chance. Shitty trait for the endgame, and thus may be an explanation for your problem.
fuck
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

As it turns out I did have that triat, which explains it all rather well. That's just typical... I will remember to stay far away from it next time.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The gauss rifle is by far the best weapon for the end game. Even without Sniper, it gets a critical hit in the eyes almost all the time, often killing the enclave troopers in one hit. With Bonus RoF, you can kill two troopers each round, and your friends each fire twice a round (once they level up). Give skynet, cassidy, and Vic each a rifle, and if you have room, give sulik a gauss pistol, and from there each combat you enter results in severe sodomy for your enemies.

Serious question: Why do people seem to think that the turbo plasma rifle is so great? I've used it many times with an energy weapons character, and in my experiences it simply isn't as consistent as the gauss weapons, nor does it even do as much damage on the criticals.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Lup_Alb_13 wrote:And it is better to use plasma rifle against guards in power armor (I allways use targeted shots, 1 to the legs to get them down and 1 to the eyes after that. It is easyer to get a criticall hit when the enemy is knocked down).
Er...nope. Not better to use energy weapons against people in PA.

If you look at the damage reductions of the power armour you'll notice that laser is up at 90, with plasma not too far behind.

Normal and Electrical (those pulse weapons really are electrical damage) are your best bets against power armour. This is why the bozar and the vindicator, etc are very good are taking apart enclave.
Serious question: Why do people seem to think that the turbo plasma rifle is so great? I've used it many times with an energy weapons character, and in my experiences it simply isn't as consistent as the gauss weapons, nor does it even do as much damage on the criticals.
'Cause it was so damn good in Fo1 :lol:
Shadow Phoenix
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Yes, Turbo Plasma Rifle was the ÃœberWeapon in Fallout.
But in FO2, I prefer the following weapons:
Gauss Rifle - for small guns
Bozar - ahhh, my favourite weapon 8)
Pulse Rifle - as a energy weapon (fry 'em good boy :evil: )
(sh)it happens
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Bozar? Why? The vindicator does like 300-900 damage. Though sometimes the caseless bullets can be hard to find.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Bozar? Why? The vindicator does like 300-900 damage. Though sometimes the caseless bullets can be hard to find.
I always end up with a trunk full of caseless ammo that's too heavy to carry. Whenever you see a G11 or G11E in a shopkeepers inventory empty it of it's ammo and then just buy the ammo. Routinely they'll restock with more loaded weapons which you can keep on emptying.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,