Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath

Post by iohkus »

This isn't a poll or a popularity contest, just a thread about the 2 greatest legendary hard rock metal groups of all time and how they were influenced, how they influenced the music landscape, and how they influenced each other (if at all), the following is just my interpretation and observation of the two through the limited knowledge i possess of them, hopefully those more educated can fill in the void of my ignorance. i know you're out there so don't be shy ;)

Sabbath Roots & Influences:

going through allmusic.com Black Sabbaths influences include, not suprisngly, blue cheer, jimi Hendrix, cream, and the yardbirds

Hendrix for his obvious god like guitar, Blue cheer for their almost unheard of rapid sonic furry interpretation of psychedelia, a lot of which you can pick up in the furious rhythms of many Sabbath songs, the yardbirds and cream for their ability to bring hard rock to blues substance. Stangely enough zeppelin was the young phenom who was almost single-handedly put in charge of the yardbirds, initially as a bassist, but when jeff beck, clapton and co. fled the dying band his talent was put to use as lead guitar. I think they did one tour that included an early version of white summer and dazed and confused, i wonder if Iomi was influenced by page when he was in the yardbirds, cuz that'd be kewl.

Zeppelin Roots & Influences:

Zeppelin’s influences are totally different from Sabbath’s: elvis, otis rush, muddy waters, beatles and the rolling stones…

which isn’t suprising considering how varied Zeppelin was with their approach and how much of a gospel/blues freak Robert plant was, whereas Sabbath knew exactly what it wanted to create, the logical extension of acid rock and a direct backlash against hippie culture

Iomi's Guitar:

in terms of guitar play Black Sabbath represents the more rhythmic aspects of metal, with Iomi’s simple, hard, furious repetitive riffs inspired by the distorted, yet coherent and concise, repetitive bombast furry of blue cheer guitarist leigh stephens and the distorted but intricate guitar silliness of Hendrix …

Page's Guitar:

Page brought more complex, multi-layered, guitar solos to Zeppelin with a visible blues influence, a progression of what he did in the dying days of the yardbirds, although distorted and heavy, no where near the crude minimalism employed by Iomi and his finger tip lacking hand,

Sabbath's Rhythm:

There’s not a whole lot I can say about Black Sabbath’s drum and bass rhythm section, but that it worked well for them and seemed to compliment iomis seemingly primitive hard vicous riffs and ozzy’s equally vicious, almost nihilist like vocals

Zeppelin's Rhythm:

Zeppelin’s rhythm section with Bonham on drums and Jones on bass seemed unique, everyone in the band had an appreciation for good music, blues, jazz, and probably even classical, and Bonham could very well be the most cultured and worldy influenced member of the group. He played the drums hard, loud, and as creatively humanely possible, he made people hear him and keep them listening, try listening to a zeppelin song and concentrate just on the drums you’ll see what I mean. His drumming penetrates through everything, but on its own level. I don’t know who it was, but someone in the band in a recent interview referred to Bonham’s drumming like “having sex� and that bout sums it up for me. Mechanical, repetitive, hard, penetrating, but fucking good. Just listen to “Rock & Roll� on IV and be in awe of the best drummer in the world.

Bassist

Jones always seems under appreciated among zeppelin people, sometimes its hard to pinpoint exactly how important he was to the group, but think of “battle of evermore� without his mandolin, think of how the studio recordings and live shows would suffer if Page and Jones weren’t bouncing riffs and solos off eachother. I don’t know if it’s possible to do a bass solo, but if it is then jones has it down pretty damn good. Oh yeah, he did all keyboards for the group too and was pretty much the composer/conductor for the group it seems. Out of all the other members he seems to be the most disciplined

Now the vocals,

Ozzy:

To be honest with you, I don’t fucking know where Ozzy came from, I know he wasn’t out of a wealthy family and that might have something to do with his lyrical content, I also know he probably did a lot of LSD in his time. He might have been influenced by Coven, which was probably the first satan worshiping rock group in history, which oddly enough has a bassist named Oz Osbourne and a song on their debut 1969 album called “Black Sabbath� can you say bizzaro? This was a full year before Black Sabbath’s debut… fucking whacked. Ozzy is nothing without Sabbath and vice versa, fuck crazy train, solo careers suck, …

now back to Zeppelin,

Robert Plant: First time I heard him was on Kashmir and I think I thought he was a woman, to my surprise it was just a red headed skinny man in bellbottoms and an open shirt who hit notes so high that would cause most normal men’s balls to crawl up into their kidneys, and he did this thing with his hand that made me think he was gay, so he might as well have been a woman. … anyways, he was the staple of every other fucking high pitched lead singer of any hard rock or metal group that followed. Nuff said. But if you think about it, he wasn’t all that shocking, a little confused about his sex maybe, but his singing is deeply rooted in blues, like I mentioned earlier. He took blues lyrics and sung them as if it was gospel and as if he was a woman, that’s all. But this is my interpretation in 2003, think about the fucks who had to see Robert Plant and the rest of zeppelin perform communication breakdown for the first time at BBC, I think it was jimmy page who said that he’d never seen more terrified kids in his life. Aside from blues, plant, along with the others in the group were fucking fixated with mysticism, folk lore and fantasy. Which spawned shitload of copy cats in the coming years, but none would come off as genuine as zeppelin and their countless mystic, folk inspired masterpieces

All in all Sabbath and Zeppelin changed rock forever, and then some… did I just fucking type all this? OMG

Kthxreply/retortgg

and if you're wondering why i was compelled to bring this up, it was because i just recently saw some so called "metal expert" on a canadian show called "Play"

he wrote a book about the top 500 metal songs of all time and apparently, Iron Maiden, Slayer and Metallica round up the top 10 with the one saving grace being Paranoid at #1, and absolutely no mention of Zeppelin.. which is odd, because without Plant and Page I doubt you'd have all the shitty hairbands that people think are cool...

:evil:
bey.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Well, generally when I think of the classic groups that started the hard rock, Deep Purple also comes into mind.
Negadas
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Negadas »

I think Black Sabbath should have stayed together longer. When Ozzy went solo his stuff just seemed to go downhill. He has a few good songs that he did himself but him and Sabbath together were awesome.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

BullShit > LumpyZorro.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

Dan wrote:Well, generally when I think of the classic groups that started the hard rock, Deep Purple also comes into mind.
Yeah, you're probably right, Machine Head, Paranoid and Zeppelin IV were probably the most important hard rock albums of the 70s... they were sort of in the middle, not as dark as Sabbath and not as mystic as Zeppelin
Negadas wrote:I think Black Sabbath should have stayed together longer. When Ozzy went solo his stuff just seemed to go downhill. He has a few good songs that he did himself but him and Sabbath together were awesome.
Yeah, I don't know why Sabbath broke up but I bet it was probably over trivial things... Ozzy's solo shit sucks when compared to anything he did in Sabbath

Zeppelin broke up because their drummer died, so it really shows how tight they were. They knew right away that they couldn't continue without Bonham, most bands at that time would just fill the void and go on but Zeppelin wouldn't, even when they had the chance to have Bonham's son, Jason, sit at his dad's throne and be a drummer. Which would have been cool but didn't happen...
bey.
Jawz II
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jawz II »

well i dunno much about 60-70 rock n roll

but i do know there is 1 led zeppelin song i like(i think u know which one)

and like 10 sabbath songs
Drugs R Fun
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

Jawz II wrote:well i dunno much about 60-70 rock n roll

but i do know there is 1 led zeppelin song i like(i think u know which one)

and like 10 sabbath songs
stairway?

it's good. but i somehow doubt most people who say "I LOVE STAWIRWAY TO EHAVANE!" have ever heard any other zeppelin song like communication breakdown, achilles' last stand, kashmir even... the ocean, black dog

those to me look like they'd be the most popular, but stairway was the one that kept being drilled into everyones head over the radio

i think the reason why sabbath and zeppelin fans attract different fans lies in part to their different images

Sabbath tends to attract one spectrum of hard rock and zeppelin another, like Sabbath is the dark side, Ozzy is Palpatine, Iomi is Vader and Zeppelin is the rebellion: Han Solo is Bonham, Luke Skywalker is Page, Chewbaca is Jones and Princes Laia is ofcourse Robert Plant
bey.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I don't listen to much music, but I kinda like Led Zepplin. The immigrant song is a classic.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I really like Four Sticks, which I think has one of the neatest guitar bits in it evar.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Anyone who likes the Immigrant song must grab a hold and listen to the live version from 72' that can be found in the new How the west was won cds.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I don't listen to much music, but I kinda like Led Zepplin. The immigrant song is a classic.
well if you listen to very little music and if its Zeppelin than it's a helluva a lot better than listening to mainstream modern crap of today

and yes immigrant song is a classic, it should replace Canada's national anthem, even though it's probably about northern England than anything else.

"WE COME FROM THE LAND OF THE ICE AND SNOW" lol. would make for a good Canadian band name
Spazmo wrote:I really like Four Sticks, which I think has one of the neatest guitar bits in it evar.
Four Sticks is good too... the riff, and the rhythm of hand drums and robert whining about shit makes it even cooler
Dan wrote:Anyone who likes the Immigrant song must grab a hold and listen to the live version from 72' that can be found in the new How the west was won cds.
yep, I bought that and gave it to my brother for his b-day, i still need to rip it though

the live version on the 1st cd almost gave me a woody first few times i heard it, hearing page's solo on that song is fucking mind blowing.
Last edited by iohkus on Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bey.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I thought it was about Vikings?

It's hard to choose, but I think Achilles' Last Stand is my favorite.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

Lunchmeat wrote:I thought it was about Vikings?

It's hard to choose, but I think Achilles' Last Stand is my favorite.
yeah, you're probably right, and that's probably my favorite too
bey.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Speaking of...

Oh and just to get it out of the way:

OLD!
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

lmao, that was fucking brilliant, could have used some more variety in the scenes though
bey.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

My favorite Led Zeppelin cd is the one with the guy carrying sticks on the front. Which one is that?
It's got Stairway to Heaven on it.

I liked Battle of Evermore and Black Dog best.

Is Led Zeppelin hard rock, though? If they are hard, what's soft?
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

that's zeppelin IV, had no title

people say zeppelin is everything from folk rock, hard rock, to heavy metal

i say it's a mix of blues rock, hard rock, and metal

this is soft rock :
Soft Rock emerged in the early '70s, partially as a reaction to the extreme sounds of the late '60s. Soft rock was commercial and inoffensive, taking the sound of singer/songwriter and pop/rock but smoothing out all the edges. Bands like Bread, the Carpenters, and Chicago relied on simple, melodic songs with big, lush productions. Throughout the '70s, soft rock dominated the airwaves and it eventually metamorphosed into the synthesized sounds of adult contemporary in the '80s.
bey.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Achilles' Last Stand is one of the better tracks, yeah.

I also really like all the blues numbers they have on 1 and 2.
And, Dazed and Confused should always be considered pne of the bests just for what they did with it in live preformances.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

yeah, I remember somewhere that Dazed & Confused was just a cover of a Muddy Waters song... atleast i'm pretty sure it was Dazed & Confused

movie was ok too...
bey.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I don't think so... I know Dazed & Confused is based on a previous song with the same name, but I'm almost sure it wasn't by Muddy. And it really is quite different, anyway.

And a lot of Led Zep songs are based on various blues songs, most of them by Willie Dixon though, and not Muddy.