Top film list

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wow, Lasse, you got a great taste in movies.
Cross on the good ones in my opinion!
Gimp Mask wrote:
  • Amelie x
    Requiem For A Dream x
    Spun
    Fight Club x
    The Matrix x
    12 Monkeys
    Terminator 2 x
    Pulp Fiction x
    Kill Bill
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon x
    Existenz
    Mad Max Road Warrior
    Lock Stock Two Smoking Barrels x
    Snatch
    The Boondock Saints
    Leon
    Ghost in the Shell
    City of Lost Children
    Ed Wood
    Plan 9 From Outer Space x
    Planet Of The Apes (the new one) x
    Spinal Tap
    Clerks
    Beautiful Mind x
    Human Traffic x
    Traffic x
    Night of the Living Dead x
    Seven x
    Full Metal Jacket x
    Apocalypse Now x
    Star Wars Trilogy x
    Pi
    Minority Report
    American History X x
    Alien & Aliens
    Escape from NY
    Taxi Driver x
    Cube x
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail x
The rest are mostly films I haven't seen, so...

By the way, has anyone of you seen SOLARIS?
I must say it's the most overrated film e v e r.
Well maybe right after Titanic, but still.
Last edited by Kashluk on Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

solaris is a piece of garbage to wipe your ass with. george clooney doesnt make good movies.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Franz_Schubert wrote:No, it's a good action movie. Sure it's cheesy, but it's cheesy in a good way. The acting wasn't anything special, but there was some good onscreen chemistry between the characters. The special effects were good and original for the time, and the fight choreography is quite good, and the set design is great. Plus, Bridgette Wilson is hot.

PS: Goro pwns.
Wow, go rent chinese kung fun mvoies and then if you tell me MK has good choregraphy, well you suck, plus the acting WAS special, it was so BAD, and the scenario is real shit. Like I said, go rent chinese movies.

And about Solaris, I didn'T see it, but just by how boring the commercials look..... And George Clooney is such a OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone, his only good movie is three Kings.

Oh yeah, I forgot that movie : Three Kings
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Big Lebowski
Bud Spencer & Terence Hill films
Dirty Harry series (+ other Eastwood movies)
Brother / Battle Royale (supposedly more Kitano films, though I only saw those 2, yet)
Monty Python and the holy grail
The Mechanic 8) (+ other Bronson movies)
many Humphrey Bogart films :)
Apoc Now
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Seven Samurais, the original BW version.
Sweeeeet.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

s4ur0n27 wrote:Yes, Amelie was incredibly great, especially theo riginal french version.
You mean...There's another version?

:roll: Americans. You're as silly as the German and French, always dubbing shit. No wonder the producers of Battle Royale are refusing to sell the rights, after the whole "Quentin Tarantino and Miramax fuck up Japanese films" fiasco. Man, that was stupid.
atoga wrote:I hate compiling lists, but anyway, here goes:
North by Northwest, huh? Hmmm...Yeah, I can understand that :P

I *would* say you're a film-snob based on that, but you have both Strangelove and a Clockwork in your list, with no mention of 2001, which makes all good.

And I still have to see La Strada. Is it as good as they say? Fellini is a genius, no matter how you look at it, but still...

On another note: traffic was...pretty bad, all things considering, as in overrated, but a good film nonetheless.
Franz_Schubert wrote:Jack Nicholson pwns, but I simply didn't think this was all that great. It certainly didn't deserve 5 oscars anyway. Watch Cool Hand Luke, with Paul Newman, he's the perfect, classic anti-hero.
Someone must've forgotten to tell you:

Getting an oscar is an insult. Basically, if your film gets an oscar, you should be ashamed and hide, because 9 out of 10 times this means it's a piece of crap.

But seriously, the acadamy awards, like all AFI awards, is flawed in its concept. Basically, nobody will pay attention to the oscars unless it nominates movies everyone knows. This means the little greats never get much attention, and basically, the movie most people watch is the movie that wins. Chicago proved this.

Smaller awars (as in smaller than Cannes, Golden Globe and Oscar) are better. You should pay attention to those small British awards, or even the slightly bigger ones like BAFTA, now they can select the best movies, no trouble, not paying any attention to whether or not people even *know* the movie.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:solaris is a piece of garbage to wipe your ass with. george clooney doesnt make good movies.
George Clooney didn't make it.

I liked it. I really dislike Soderbergh and all his works, the man is a fucking retard, but Solaris is probably his best, and the only decent job he's ever done. It's still way out of his league, though.

I can't really judge Solaris, though. I liked it, a lot, but not because of the film, more because of the underlying ideas, but those aren't really original. I want to see the original, Solyaris, before deciding.
Thor Kaufman wrote:Brother / Battle Royale (supposedly more Kitano films, though I only saw those 2, yet)
Battle Royale is not a "Beat" Takeshi Kitano film. It's a film by the late great Kinji Fukasaku. Pretty unknown in Western circles until Battle Royale, but he's always been considered one of the top directors of Japan...in Japan.

Just watch Fireworks and Violent Cop. And not Dolls. Wait with Dolls.
Kashluk wrote:Seven Samurais, the original BW version.

You mean there's another one?

*sigh* I wish I had the Criterion edition of Shichinin...Well, actually, I just wish Criterion was less expensive here. My BFI version is pretty good too, though.

Excellent flick, Shichinin no Samurai is...
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Kharn wrote:
Thor Kaufman wrote:Brother / Battle Royale (supposedly more Kitano films, though I only saw those 2, yet)
Battle Royale is not a "Beat" Takeshi Kitano film. It's a film by the late great Kinji Fukasaku. Pretty unknown in Western circles until Battle Royale, but he's always been considered one of the top directors of Japan...in Japan.

Just watch Fireworks and Violent Cop. And not Dolls. Wait with Dolls.
Kashluk wrote:Seven Samurais, the original BW version.

You mean there's another one?

*sigh* I wish I had the Criterion edition of Shichinin...Well, actually, I just wish Criterion was less expensive here. My BFI version is pretty good too, though.

Excellent flick, Shichinin no Samurai is...
I'd have thought the only version of seven samurais would have been in black and white as it was made around 1940. Probably before then. A re-coloured dubbed movie. Terrific.

I like battle royale. I don't follow the backgrounds of movies I like in case I find out people are assholes and it spoils THE MAGIC!
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

life of brian > holy grail > meaning of life

Dark City
Life of Brian
Robocop 1 & 2
Ghost in the Shell
Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels
Snatch
Screamers
Ghostbusters
Spaceballs
Stargate
Starwars Trilogy
Alien & Aliens
Predator
Evil Dead trilogy
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Saving Private Ryan
Who Framed Rogar Rabbit
Indiana Jones

all that comes to mind atm.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Kharn wrote:Getting an oscar is an insult. Basically, if your film gets an oscar, you should be ashamed and hide, because 9 out of 10 times this means it's a piece of crap.
For the most part that's true, but reading down previous acadamy award lists it seems they've had the right idea about 50% of the time. They've been absolutely wrong in the past few years, however. And the typical academy mentality makes no sense whatsoever now with Chicago given best picture. I thought I had them figured out... but I was wrong.
Kharn wrote:North by Northwest, huh? Hmmm...Yeah, I can understand that :P

I *would* say you're a film-snob based on that, but you have both Strangelove and a Clockwork in your list, with no mention of 2001, which makes all good.
North by Northwest is the best hitchcock picture, ever (fuck all that 'vertigo' shit). It's still entertaining after I've seen it 30 times or so. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are both great. Best thriller ever made, period.

As for Strangelove being on the list - well of course it's there, I'm a Fallout fan :) Clockwork Orange rocks, too. 2001, on the other hand, is very good, but I'd say overrated. The only really good part is the stargate sequence. And 2001 hasn't really stood the test of time - today, it's obvious that the apes in the beginning are just guys in monkey suits :/

As for Fellini - he rocks. You'd better go see La Strada.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

atoga wrote:And 2001 hasn't really stood the test of time - today, it's obvious that the apes in the beginning are just guys in monkey suits :/
Did you know 2001 lost an Academy Award for makeup to Planet of the Apes because the judges thought the apes were real?
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

lmfao................ that's fucked.

have you heard about the CIA conspiracy to kill Kubrick?
Last edited by iohkus on Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bey.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, that documentary was fucked up, eh? They completely faked the whole moon landing even though it really happened and Stan Kubrick masterminded the whole thing.

How Kubrick.

Sorry.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Lunchmeat wrote:Did you know 2001 lost an Academy Award for makeup to Planet of the Apes because the judges thought the apes were real?
Hah. More proof of the academy's silliness, I guess.
iohkus wrote:have you heard about the CIA conspiracy to kill Kuberick?
dubyah tee eff mate? Kubrick's dead, and has been for some time now. Unless you mean...
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I have no idea why I liked Enemy At The Gates so much, but I think it was because it was set in Stalingrad... The setting just kicked major ass.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

it was in a mocumentary called Darkside of the Moon
bey.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

With original Seven Samurais, I meant that all those "Wonderous Seven" and whatever crap popped out later on were utter shit compared to that marvelous jap bw movie.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

@Kharn ok, thx for info

ah I forgot Newman and his movies, like "The color of money"
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

The Magnificent Seven was a brilliant western, you mook.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I agree with Atoga, North by Northwest is great. The best Hitchcock film.

The fact that the Seven Samurai is great doesn't mean The Magnificent seven is bad, they are both good, like Yojimbo and Fistfull of dollars are both good.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yup. I said it's utter crap compared to Seven Samurais. Not that it was that alone.

----

And about Enemy At The Gates... I mainly dislike movies where all nationalities speak English, be them Russian, German or fucking Martian.

The combat scenes were cool though, only the incredible stuff ( like cutting a thin wire with a rifle shot etc. ) felt dumb but otherwise it was a cool war movie.