Ask Hammer Redux

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

what does getting shot feel like?
:chew:
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

Stainless wrote:That explains why I was watching Taro Taro Taro for some strange reason. Not a bad film that.
It's "Tora! Tora! Tora!". lol.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

Megatron wrote:what does getting shot feel like?
You ever have an annoying ex-girlfriend who used to yap her mouth all the time, constantly giving you headaches? Well it's like that, except for the most part concentrated in one area and it's physical pain. It varies depending where you've been wounded of course. In my case it was a friendly-fire incident where I was wounded in the shoulder (By a Canadian soldier, eh). Its not like the movies where when you're shot you immediately fall to the ground screaming like a bitch (unless it's a shotgun wound). At first you barely feel it; the bullet doesn't really carry enough momentum to knock you off your feet or even jolt you all that much. Shortly thereafter it becomes more painful though, and you can actually feel the bullet in you (and it's depth). I guess that's one of the major benefits of the 5.56mm NATO round; it's 'friendly-fire' friendly. Fortunately, a bullet wound is easier to treat than an annoying ex-girlfriend.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Mention the burning part?
What do you think about AK-47 / Ak-74's?
I think they're both good weapons, just not impervious to problems like everybody believes.

People forget that with reliablity normally comes with lack of accuracy, this of course is not true for all weapons. But the AK47's off the shelf battlefield accuracy leaves much to be desired, same with her AK74 sister.

Oh, and want some advice? Get PlanetSide, free 30 day trial now.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hammer, I'm in need of a quite general handgun knowledge right now.

I'm building this FOT map there on the modding forum and I'm needing some *real* facts about rifle & handgun ammunition so I won't screw things up that bad.

I need to have the following ammunition put in order: which one is good for long range shooting, which one has the best stopping power etc.

- 45/100 (old, used in Sharps-rifles from Civil War -era)
- .56 (old revolve-action rifle round)
- .45 Colt
- .44 (ordinary)
- .36 (another ancient round, from early 19th century)
- .22 Short

Would you be so kind, Ambassador?
I need this info so I can balance the potential damage of the weapons using the ammo, armor piercing capabilities, damage treshold and so on.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

Hammer wrote:Mention the burning part?
It did burn slightly, but I felt "stretching" moreso than burning because the energy from the impact of the bullet pushes the tissue laterally.

Slave_Master's internet connection speed blows, so I'll put his question up for him:

"My dad has a Remington 700, I think, which is .308. I heard somewhere that it's kind of like the civilian version of the M24. If that's true, would it, if the need arises, make a decent sniper rifle?"
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Yup, very much so.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Why are you using such obscure ammo, Kash?
Literacy is overated.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

Hammer wrote:Oh, and want some advice? Get PlanetSide, free 30 day trial now.
Hehe, funny you would mention it, because i already have it. Europe server, New conglomerate, if you wanna know. The name's Kelly. SGTKelly.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

Oh and i have another question:

What should i do if i discovered that i have walked into a mine-field?

(PS The 30day trial wasnt 100% free! DS)

Forgot one question: Hammer, Do you have any experience of shooting with bows and/or crossbows?
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Doyle wrote:Why are you using such obscure ammo, Kash?
He's thinking of doing a Wild West mod.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Zbyram wrote:
Stainless wrote:That explains why I was watching Taro Taro Taro for some strange reason. Not a bad film that.
It's "Tora! Tora! Tora!". lol.
*fights urge to edit his post and all posts containing the incriminating evidence*

it was 3am. I'm allowed to mispell stuff. At least I got the number of words right. I wasn't sure if it was 2 or 3 :P
Kizmiaz
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Kizmiaz »

The Gaijin wrote:He's thinking of doing a Wild West mod.
Yay!!
*Happily whistles some slightly distorted Ennio Morricone tunes*
Any chance of a LeMat revolver?

http://www.nps.gov/anti/lemat.htm
http://www.johnnyringo.net/lemat.htm
Kindly,
Ukhan Kizmiaz
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Kizmiaz wrote:Any chance of a LeMat revolver?
Unless there are southerners in his mod, probably not. But it would be pretty cool though. A 16 gauge shotgun and 9 round revolver all in one. The thing would dominate at close quarters.
Kashluk wrote:- 45/100 (old, used in Sharps-rifles from Civil War -era)
- .56 (old revolve-action rifle round)
- .45 Colt
- .44 (ordinary)
- .36 (another ancient round, from early 19th century)
- .22 Short
Damn, there's some old-ass rounds there. The tenth edition of Cartridges of the World doesn't even mention a .36 caliber revolver or rifle cartridge, but it does have a 45-100 Remington round, which appears to have been used in late Sharps rifles (1875 or so). I'll post data for that if you want.

Here's the data on the .22 Short round:
Cartridges of the World, Tenth Edition wrote:
Historical Notes The 22 Short is the oldest American, commercial, self-contained, metallic cartridge and has been in continuous production for more than 143 years! It was introduced in 1857 for the Smith & Wesson First Model revolver and is still widely used all over the world. Although now popular as a short-range gallery or plinking round, the 22 Short was originally intended for self-defense. It is still used for Olympic match shooting and heavy target pistols are built specifically for it. Initial loading was a 29-grain bullet and 4.0 grains of a fine granulation blackpowder (probably similar to what we would now call FFFFg). After 1887, it was available with semi-smokeless powder and within a short time, smokeless powder. Remington introdced non-corrosive (Kleanbore) priming for its rimfire line in 1927 and the first high-velocity type in 1930. The 22 Short can be fired in any arm chambered for the 22 Long Rifle, but most semi-auto guns will not function properly with the 22 Short. Since the wnd of World War II, a number of small 22 Short pocket-automatic pistols and revolvers have appeared on the market.

General Comments In the high-velocity loading, the Short is quite adequate for small game or bird hunting. However, killing power declines rapidly beyond 50 yards. Hunting should be confined to animals not over 2 pounds in weight. The 22 Short can be decieving because it looks small and relatively harmless. When fired from a rifle, it can penetrate 2 inches of soft pine and has an extreme range of almost 1 mile. It can seriously wound or kill a person right up to the limit of its range. Be careful! Make sure of your backstop before shooting any 22 rimfire. The hollowpoint bullet weighs 27 grains and has about 25 fps higher velocity than the solid and is a particuarly effective squirrel load. CCI is the only remaining manufacturer of the hollowpoint load. Although sales today are wastly overshadowed by the less expensive 22 Long Rifle, the 22 Short cartridge was king during this catridge's first century of production.
Any grammical mistakes are mine, not the book's.

Post by Guest »

That explains why I was watching Taro Taro Taro for some strange reason. Not a bad film that.
"You wanted confirmation?! There's your confirmation!!!"

Heh. Such an awful movie.

Hammer, I have a stupid question: What's the difference between a bazooka and a rocket launcher? Is there any difference at all, or are they just interchangable names for the same thing?
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

A bazooka is a rocket launcher, but not all rocket launchers are bazookas. The panzerfaust (and its variants, I can't remember their names) was a rocket launcher, among others.
fuck
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Slave_Master wrote:The panzerfaust (and its variants, I can't remember their names) was a rocket launcher, among others.
The Panzerfaust ("tank fist") was not a rocket launcher. It was a shaped-charge projectile propelled by a black powder charge. No rocket engine whatsoever. It was the first one-shot-throw-away anti-tank weapon, something that would become far more common as time progressed.

The Panzerschrek ("tank terror") was a rocket launcher which the Germans based on captured specimens of the American Bazooka. It was essentially a scaled-up version. It was issued at the platoon level whereas the Panzerfaust was a squad weapon, but ammo stocks were very limited and so it was never as much a danger on the battlefield as the far more common Panzerfaust.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Thank you, OTB.

The other day I was reading an article on RPG's that mentioned the panzerfaust and the panzerschrek, and the advancements leading to the RPG-7, etc, so I got the terms mixed up.
fuck
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

MurPHy wrote:Damn, there's some old-ass rounds there. The tenth edition of Cartridges of the World doesn't even mention a .36 caliber revolver or rifle cartridge,
That's because, to my knowledge, there never was a self-contained .36 caliber cartridge. I believe the Colt Navy .36 caliber revolver, one of the most popular pistols of the wild-west, was a "cap and ball" revolver. You loaded a ball, black powder, and a percussion cap into each of the cylinders.
Literacy is overated.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Doyle wrote:That's because, to my knowledge, there never was a self-contained .36 caliber cartridge. I believe the Colt Navy .36 caliber revolver, one of the most popular pistols of the wild-west, was a "cap and ball" revolver. You loaded a ball, black powder, and a percussion cap into each of the cylinders.
Yes, you are correct. Cap and ball weapons aren't something that are easily simulated w/FoT or any FO game, either. The usual practice was to carry a couple of pre-loaded cylinders, which made reloading faster than w/the later six-guns firing metallic cartridges. That is, until you ran out of pre-loaded cylinders, at which point reloading was time consuming and liable to get you killed while you were sitting there working on replacing caps, measuring out powder and putting wads and bullets into your gun. Not to mention that fucking up this process was a ticket to an exploding pistol, which some models were more liable to do than others.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"