Interplay Says Stuff

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Three years? What were they doing? I have tons of respect for the BIS people, but I think IPLY has been doing stupid things its entire career. I'm not saying they sabotaged their own product, I'm just saying they put out a half-assed effort to assure sales. We love the game, yet there are many people who try Fallout and say "I don't get it". Plus the sheer amount of bugs probably turned many people off.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

bloodbathmaster2 wrote:Don't worry too much. It's only a few more months until there are no more Interplay forums anymore.
Is that after all the users get banned? Or?
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Mr Carrot wrote:I got banned from interplay for pointin out that despite managements "good" decisions interplay hasnt made a profit for god knows how many years.
I got banned for joining the channel. Can you beat that? 8)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Any address IPLY makes to shareholders should probably start with, Dear suckers at this point.
------------------
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

FO was a long and relatively hard game. Only these 2 points turn a lot of people away from the game. Back in high school when it came out I loved it, but most of the people at school didn't like it at all. They were into Mortal Kombat and such.

When FO2 came out I think the warez killed it a lot. I don't know anyone personnally who bought the game retail, everyone copied it. In these years CD copying was spreading a lot (around here). Althought I bought the Double Jewel Pack of FO1 & FO2 when it came out. I feel kind of guilty tho.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Fallout is for smart people, there's no denying it.
All of my friends who haven't liked it are dumb otherwise as well.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Hah! They dodged it! IPLY neither confirmed nor denied the rumors.

Try harder next time.

Btw Fallout is A-title, and that's just how long it takes to develop one, although I'm pretty sure it was 2 years, and not 3.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Fallout 1 dev. time: 3 years.
Fallout 2 dev. time: 3 months.

:P
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Smart game doesn't mean smart fans.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well... not necessarily. All smart people are fallout fans, but not all fallout fans are smart people?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Kashluk wrote:All smart people are fallout fans, but not all fallout fans are smart people?
Uh... the first part of that statement doesn't work either, or were you being sarcastic?

Anyway, there are quite a few moronic Fallout fans out there > WWW.FORUMS.INTERPLAY.COM < but the problem is they don't really get what Fallout is about - it's not about blowing stuff up and picking up hookers in New Reno as Chucky said. Hell, those things have been done to death! Fallout is good because it's an original, it's funny, it has some good references (Fallout 1, anyway), and it's done in an unforgettable retro-future style. Smart people like Fallout for those reasons.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Xax
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Xax »

Translation of press release:

"Everyone who owns stock in IPLY, don't you worry. Everyone besides us is making stuff up. Please don't leave us OHMYGOD WE'RE GOING DOWN THE SHIITER DEAR LORD PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"
Dan_Wood
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Back on topic...

Post by Dan_Wood »

Well, what can be said about a company that hollows out the only division they have that's likely to get them money.

Other than FUCKED OVER HEARTILY.
Dan Wood

Nothing like a slow-moving localized apocalypse to really make you think about proper data backup procedures.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

atoga wrote:Anyway, there are quite a few moronic Fallout fans out there
*cough*Shadowpaladin*/cough*
One day...
wump
SDF!
SDF!

Post by wump »

Motherfucking cocksuckers
They fire the whole team once the engine is in place and some levels have been made. Next year some underpaid college kid get's to finish FO3 in the holidays for cheap.
Farfetched ? Maybe. Either way I'd love to smash the faces of the marketing slime over at IPLY
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

To Franz

Post by N »

You have to go back and see 'the whole story'.

With Fallout 2, they had many bumps in the road during developement, not the least of which was the programmer who made/knew the engine for it, left.

If memory serves, they had one guy who kind of knew the engine at that point, and admidst bugs, scripting, and finishing the game, the team was tearing their hair out.

When finally released -- they then got hammered, screamed at, yelled at, and pissed on by 'the fans' because the product was buggy.

After they finally struggled (for the dev time/money to be ABLE to patch the game) to get the patch done, they were 'sick and tired of Fallout', and that's when they made the 'run of none': Torn (cancelled), then the Icewind Dales (which didn't sell as well as they'd hoped(?)), etc etc. This is all about the same time when, if you read some Feargus Urquhart interviews, the back and forth struggling with Interplay, developers, licenses, and a large shitstorm of problems continued to culminate and create the piece of shit that is the Interplay of today.

At least, if that's what I remember correctly? Anyone feel free to correct me if I am in error.