PROJECT PHOENIX SCREENSHOTS

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Oh thank you Kreegle. :D

Getting encouraging posts like yours really boosts my motivation for this project...I'm finally out of my bubble, under public scrutiny. This is rather liberating, that, good or bad, I'm not sitting here wondering 'when' I'll 'think' I'm ready. Its out there and over with and now its all about demonstrating progress and evolution rather than achieving this perfect ideal in my head, which plagues all artists, since art is never finished, its just done, and sometimes I can just never accept it being just that ( though for the record these images do not represent "done"! ). :p

Cheers
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

It does look surprisingly badassed. The only thing I noticed was what you mentioned about the transparent glass, and the grainyness of the logo on the gasstation, which was probably covered under the antialiasing?

Other than that, looking a+. Doesn't sound very moddable though? If it takes ~20 hours to render a gaspump?
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hehe, hi SuperH...first off, no, unfortunately not moddable ( though it MAY change, but would require a middleman architecture for users ).

It takes 20 hours to do the lighting and surface processing for the whole level, not just pumps :p. I just meant that I didn't include Swords new models and that when I do put in new stuff, I normally like to do a full level pass. Either way, along with his wicked pumps, I'm also doing a handful of things including fixing that stupid ass fence ( sorry Brian ) that seems to be broken...so I could localize the processing to the pumps, but I figure what the hell and take care of a lot of things in one fell swoop.

Thanks for the "A+" though! :D

Cheers
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

I honestly think they look great (better than Neverwinter Nights, that's for sure). That second screenshot, the one with the side-view of the building, looks fantastic I might add. It's begging for one of those movie-like bar fights where they get thrown out the window.
Last edited by Menno on Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PerroViejo
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by PerroViejo »

Menno wrote:I honestly think they look great (better than Neverwinter Nights, that's for sure). That second screenshot, the one with the side-view of the building, looks fantastic I might add. It's begging for one of those movie-like bar fights where they got thrown out the window.
Yes there will be some of that, oddly enough Menno. However not here, not now. Somewhere else, close but not here. Rest assured that bodies will be flung, chairs and tables shall be broken, mugs and bottles will be thrown. All in the name of art and game advancement.

As the team writer it is easy to get inspired by Steve's work and it is downright overwhelming to see something that I've thought up, talked about with Steve and eventually commited to paper, become an actual place (ok a virtual place). What can I say? It fuels the creative process.

To my compadre Steve
"Did you ever know that you are my hero?"
Bette Middler :badgrin:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Egad! So... so *clean*. I'm looking forward to some textures EvoG ;) Also, I say good timing, what with all the depressing-circus-news coming from Intershit's direction, it's nice to have some *good* news for a change.
EvoG wrote:BTW nice gaspumps Bri...err Sword. Hehe...
Excuse me sir? Did I miss something?
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Spite the negavists Evo, well pld man! If these looks feel the same as the gameplay you got a winner.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Great screen shots!

Now give us more, you lazy basterd.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

*waits for people to begin hounding him for a demo*
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Looks very good, I was expecting less (more like the first 2) but yea, looking good. Not sure about the lighting though, will it always be lit like that or is that just 'dawn' light or something?

Looks better than Fallout 3 too. KEEP GOING STEVE YOU CAN DO IT!

p.s http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/view ... ack#102443

LOLLLLLL
:chew:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Dusk light actually megatron, good eye.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

Will there be debris in the final game, strewn about?

Will the atomic thing be a bit more rusty and not so shiny new looking?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

blackdog, as steve stated this is only 50% of the texturing/final art. It will look more strewn about, I actually gave steve a small suggestion in regards to the front of the building... don't know if he'll take it or not but you can definitely expect more of a look of destruction.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

Franz_Schubert wrote:
EvoG wrote:BTW nice gaspumps Bri...err Sword. Hehe...
Excuse me sir? Did I miss something?

That would be me, you'll definately know when the new gas pumps are put in. The (new) pumps will also be representative of the level of detail you will see in the textures for this game, as they have a heavy layer of dirt, sand and rust to compliment the atmosphere. But yes, there will be piles of dirt built up in corners, and trash strewn about. We are taking a logical approach to the "junk"... meaning that you wont wonder why there are burger wrappers and cups lying around with out a fast food joint near by to explain it. I'm not saying its going to be perfect either, but some thought is going into the content and placement of the junk, hopefully to make the game a more immersive experiance... there might be some interactiveity with the junk at somepoint also. It's dumpster diving time kids!

As for the atmoic gas logo, it still up in the air, (pun intended) we are designing a pleasing logo out side of the game as you will prob see other "Atomic Gas" station's in the game. The general idea right now is to have the sphere in the middle be the earth and the orbits will have cars going around them, like a nuetron and electrons. Perhaps a character with repair skills can make it work again ;)
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
N
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Sky?

Post by N »

I noticed that the sky is 'clear blue' in those first two shots...are you going to have any sort of sky/skybox, or just a shading of the color relating to the time of day, or...?

Very nice screenshots -- I'm DEFINATELY looking forward to seeing more, especially when you get some more 'things' there in the world, as well as the characters and such.

Might want to add some texture breaking 'trim' or otherwise on the gas station...?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

swordinstone wrote:As for the atmoic gas logo, it still up in the air, (pun intended) we are designing a pleasing logo out side of the game as you will prob see other "Atomic Gas" station's in the game. The general idea right now is to have the sphere in the middle be the earth and the orbits will have cars going around them, like a nuetron and electrons. Perhaps a character with repair skills can make it work again ;)
That's a good idea. Would also be nice if the number of cars was equal to the atomic number of uranium or something? Though the number would probably be too high. But anyway, something relative to that could be good for some kind of geeky trivia.

Will you release screenshots again in the near-future now that you've got (positive) feedback or would you rather just keep working?
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

You should be seeing some more screens very soon. In the current shots, there is little or nothing that i have built prop wise in those shots (soda machine near the door, and a cig machine [untextured] just inside, infront of the counter)... so there will be more stuff to fill the scene in shots to come... its just waiting to be put into the game in some cases, and in others there are some models awaiting textures (those are waiting on me). Finally, there is the annoying issue of the fence not rendering in game for some reason... it will prob have to be rebuilt as we cannot find the issue... it renders in Max, and it appears techincally correct.

There are some other ideas floating around to change the layout of the station a bit, which is another reason the screenshots were delayed... so if you see the gas station change in future shots, that is why.

The sky will definatley be different later, and the lighting will improve also. Keep in mind, the shots you see were not ment to be seen here... the upcoming shots will be a lot closer to "polished". I believe the scene has, at most, 2 lights illuminating it currently. The first 2 shots (the brighter ones) are renders from Max, not in-game.

Silver wrote:Spite the negavists Evo, well pld man! If these looks feel the same as the gameplay you got a winner.
Those are in game shots, and they can only get better. Note the terrain is a flat sheet... that will change. There will be more foilage, rocks and debris to make the natural environment more convincing. We are working on ways to break up the tiling of textures, which is pretty obvious on the building currently... that will be gone also.

As for the electron count, im no physist, but I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time seeing the globe in the middle if we had that many cars with their own orbits :) We'll prob keep ther count down to keep the logo "clean".

Thanks to everyone's compliments and comments... stay posted!
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
xenocide
SDF!
SDF!

Post by xenocide »

Damn! Those screens look great!
you can turn on AA in phoenix, if you like, if your vid card supports it, eliminating jaggies altogther, still shot or otherwise.
The first thing I said to myself was "I can't wait to see those babies with AA on, man they will look sweet."

Keep up the good work.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

swordinstone wrote:

As for the electron count, im no physist, but I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time seeing the globe in the middle if we had that many cars with their own orbits :) We'll prob keep ther count down to keep the logo "clean".
Do gas-stations play a big part in the game (like sam and max)? Like if it has it's own logo and stuff I imagine they play a bigger part than just a random location that happens a few times mebbe. But yea, it looks good. Very Dusk Till Dawnish.

Is the radioactive sign a marker for something or the mouse-pointer?

Also will the logo have a similair design (all the outer rings the same size and on the same axis) as it is or will each ring be inside a ring and have it so mabye it swings around a bit?
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

So, when's the demo coming out?

STOP GIBBERING AND GET BACK TO WORK YOU SLACKERS!!

My skirt's been blown right off exposing my naked heiny! Nice work Steve. Now, demo...? :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage