start fallout2 in a gr8t way

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Slave_Master wrote:
Ridderke wrote:even as a low lvl he is brave and embarks on this dangerous quest and ooh look now, after bullshitting his way in the base he finds a nice drill instructor who tells him to go to the armory and get a nice power armor, better do what the man says. after this way too dangerous adventure my character decides its time to take it a bit easier and head towards klamath to find vic and hopefully a GECK. who knows what crazy adventures he ll end up in next...
Again, your ignorant tribal just wanders south, picks up the best weapons and armour in the world, then just wanders back up and goes to Klamath in search of Vic like nothing ever happened? That's pure, unadulterated bullshit.
You forgot to mention how unlikely it is that the ignorant tribal will be able to work out how to use the best armour and weapons, without all the hints and tips gained from the skill books, or all the practical experience they'd be missing out on.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Ridderke
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ridderke »

actually my char has like 2 intelligence so its pretty unpredictible what he ll do, one time he just wanders off south and a bit later he decides to go find vic :p
and since there are no lvl or skill restrictions on any of those nice high tech items that are way to advanced for my characters intelligence he just uses them like any other char would. talk about a smart char and that only with 2 intelligence

there are more things in the game that totaly dont make any sense. deal with it instead of whining about it.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Ridderke wrote:actually my char has like 2 intelligence
Aren't RPGs wonderful when they allow playing a character that's more intelligent than the player. :lol:
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Ridderke
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ridderke »

actually its pretty funny to play a stupid char. no more trouble of going trough heaps of conversations. just shoot whatever stands in your way and u ll get there too eventually :p
the only real problem is the low skillpoints u get every lvl
all the other problems can be solved with steal, sneak or guns and lots of ammo
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Not to point out the obvious here, but since we're speaking as if we were "roleplaying" the characters and your character has an intelligence of.....oh.....2, wouldn't he be too dumb to know how to properly operate technology as advanced as lasers and power armor? I mean sure, we can say its just "pull the trigger, thats not hard" but we're talking about someone who must have Down Syndrome. He couldn't possibly understand how a laser works or how to maintain it or the armor long enough to go anywhere. He'de be better off fighting with a sledge hammer and some simple combat armor. Since he's an idiot and this to him is probably the most effective set up, it would seem most logical.
Harriers for the cup.
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

Oh, for sweetness' sakes Wolfman, don't complicate matters by bringing logic into this discussion.

Bah. ;-)
<i>Spelling and grammar are to the internet world as tooth-brushing and hair-washing are
to the real world. No matter how nice of a person you are, people are still going to
form a bad opinion of you based on your outward presentation and hygiene.</i>
American Tourister
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by American Tourister »

After defeating the Enclave, I often go visit Father Tully, use his book to powerup to a level 99 character, and visit a few places that may need "sanitizing", such as Navarro.

Does this count as munchkinism?
"...Curtis Lowe was the finest picker to ever play the blues"
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Ridderke wrote:actually my char has like 2 intelligence so its pretty unpredictible what he ll do, one time he just wanders off south and a bit later he decides to go find vic :p

It's rather doubtful that a person with such low intelligence would have the mental faculties required for abstract thought, thus "just wandering and a bit later deciding to find Vic" is, again, more bullshit.
and since there are no lvl or skill restrictions on any of those nice high tech items that are way to advanced for my characters intelligence he just uses them like any other char would. talk about a smart char and that only with 2 intelligence

There aren't many acutely retarded people I know that could maintain and use a laser rifle.
there are more things in the game that totaly dont make any sense. deal with it instead of whining about it.

How about playing the game the way it's supposed to be played as opposed to exploiting a design error?
American Tourister wrote:After defeating the Enclave, I often go visit Father Tully, use his book to powerup to a level 99 character, and visit a few places that may need "sanitizing", such as Navarro.

Does this count as munchkinism?
Munchkinism, also known as rollplaying, has been defined elsewhere on this board by either Rosh or Saint_Proverbius (I can't remember which) as playing for the sake of leveling up and gaining new abilities and items, instead of roleplaying, which is playing the role of a person you normally wouldn't be able to.

That being said, playing through the game and then blowing off some steam by blasting the shit out of the wasteland with your level 99 character wouldn't be considered rollplaying in my book, seeing as how you've already roleplayed through the game. If there was a way to get the Fallout 2 Hintbook before completing the game (through an exploit or hack, for example) you did so and used your level 99 character to finish the game, I'd consider that munchkinism.
fuck
Raksha
Respected
Respected

Post by Raksha »

Munchkinism, also known as rollplaying, has been defined elsewhere on this board by either Rosh or Saint_Proverbius (I can't remember which) as playing for the sake of leveling up and gaining new abilities and items, instead of roleplaying, which is playing the role of a person you normally wouldn't be able to.
In table-top games, a munchkin is usually thought to be someone that plays to win a roleplaying game. For computer/console RPGs, that would be someone that plays to avoid any challenge at all during the game.

Really, where's the fun in that?
<i>Spelling and grammar are to the internet world as tooth-brushing and hair-washing are
to the real world. No matter how nice of a person you are, people are still going to
form a bad opinion of you based on your outward presentation and hygiene.</i>
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Slave_Master wrote:That being said, playing through the game and then blowing off some steam by blasting the shit out of the wasteland with your level 99 character wouldn't be considered rollplaying in my book, seeing as how you've already roleplayed through the game. If there was a way to get the Fallout 2 Hintbook before completing the game (through an exploit or hack, for example) you did so and used your level 99 character to finish the game, I'd consider that munchkinism.
Solution: play Grand Theft Auto instead

Anyway, if you're going to play a CRPG like this - even a pseudo-CRPG like Baldur's Gate - taking advantage of every unbalanced rule you can, and using outta character knowledge to further yourself at every opportunity, you're seriously missing the point.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

WOW! I've never heard of this greightt way to start Fallout! Amazing beans!
Lianora Beró
Regular
Regular

Post by Lianora Beró »

Hehe i just got this idea to create a godlike char. A woman char. Well this idea is a test because im planning to write another fanfic story based on that "godlike" character. So war never changes.. Well she will change it.

Well Just look at my name and sig and you will get some clues about my upcoming story. ;)
Knight Commander Lianora Beró: BOS Special Night Ops.
===================
War, war never changes, untill she changed it.
===================
"That takes a fourteen shot clip
You expecting an army?"
"No...just a division"