Yet Another Reason to be Atheist

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Yet Another Reason to be Atheist

Post by iohkus »

Earthquake hits ancient city of Bam in Iran killing an estimated 20,000 and rising

13 years after another earthquake in Iran killed 35,000

now... either god is a sick perverted bastard or he doesn't exist

SORRY.
bey.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

or its all in the divine plan, i'm not much of religion believer either.

Last i heard the queen of englands corgi's death was bigger than this news story, also, it was apparently 6000 dead and rising, has it hit 20,000 already? either way its a serious loss of life and i feel sorry for iranians (yet again) :(
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I neglect to see how people dying due to natural disaster equates to proof about the existance (Edit: or non-existance) of god, but then again, I'm one of the few people on the board who actually believes in god, so maybe I'm missing something. Lets keep it that way.
Harriers for the cup.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Perhaps it's the Iranians fault for not moving house?
:chew:
NachoMonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by NachoMonkey »

yeah or did you ever think god just doesn't like iranians, or the human race for that matter ?
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

The big guy probably just fucked up again. I heard God's shit is always breaking.
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Either that or Iran is on a pretty bad fault line, which I still neglect seeing how this is in some manor "God's fault".
Harriers for the cup.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Yet Another Reason to be Atheist

Post by the guardian »

iohkus wrote: now... either god is a sick perverted bastard or he doesn't exist
Or maybe he's killing the heathens, ever think about THAT?!
Hello New Jersey
NachoMonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by NachoMonkey »

*shakes head in utter disdain while trailing off into the background* always with the heathen talk.....

maybe god has bigger priorities like holding earth away from the sun or holding our galaxy away from another galaxy then worrying about some tiny creatures with ego and super ego problems.

God can't play favourites so he has to use probabilites, god plays dice kiddies, that earthquake could have been relieving tensions in the earths crusts, and hey everyone likes a change ... right ?
Jeff
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jeff »

NachoMonkey wrote:God can't play favourites so he has to use probabilites, god plays dice kiddies, that earthquake could have been relieving tensions in the earths crusts, and hey everyone likes a change ... right ?
I don't think those Iranians did
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

just goes to show that the iranian religious government is wrong?
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

perhaps god didn't do it, perhaps AMERICA DID IT! WAAAAAH AMERICA!
:chew:
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury...

No! Wait! Sorry, wrong speech.

This topic is quickly going nowhere. If it's just going to degenerate into one line posts w/less thought put into them than scratching one's ass I have a feeling that it's going to be locked.

Maybe some of you should bring up something like the supposed omni-benevolence of God. Others might want to point out that it only challenges the view of an omnibenevolent God, not theism in general.

Discuss! (Constructively, please.)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I was going to make a long post about God and stuff, but after re-reading it it sounded dumb (and it wasn't intentional?) so I deleted it yo.

Anyway, I find it pointless to discuss religion again besides clarifying our beliefs (or lack of them). I don't see how something could be everywhere at once while manipulating everything and shit. It's like an individual flying around the world in one night and delivering presents to billions of people. It might sound good as a child, but otherwise why believe in it? Why do adults believe in an omnipotent being that somehow created everything and judge us afterwards on some clouds?

Even if he doesn't exist, like many people think, why still discuss him? He either exists to you in some form or he doesn't. You could try altering people's opinion on the subject, but rarely do people alter people's belief in God through a single conversation. But still we discuss it.

Why?
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

After a long time thinking on the subject (OK ith was only a few seconds) I still have only a short one line sentence to add.

The question of the existence or not of a deity based on good/bad events as prize/punishment for human behaviour has long been discussed by philosofers, theologofers and a lot of other `ofers. If somebody really is interested in the debate I think a quick search on the web will give a lot of information on the subject. For me statistics and plate tectonics suffice to explain the particular incident in question. As for the ultimate cause of things happening in the universe I leave it to each persons consideration, but it can be easily explained one way or the other, the fact is that nobody knows and nobody can prove it one way or the other.

Note: I know it looks like a lot more then only a one line sentence but it is`nt :)
Carpe jugulum.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

OTB wrote:This topic is quickly going nowhere. If it's just going to degenerate into one line posts w/less thought put into them than scratching one's ass I have a feeling that it's going to be locked.
Nah, I think we can keep it interesting.
I know I won't make any one line posts

Wolfman Walt wrote:I'm one of the few people on the board who actually believes in god
lol ur gay.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

And you're Jewish, your point?
Harriers for the cup.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

i mean if you're god and all mighty and whatever... try to pick cities not named BAM to destroy ok?

maybe god is really apollo87? fuck that would suck
bey.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

lol Bam thats evil :)
The Jizz Stain
Regular
Regular

Post by The Jizz Stain »

I know god is real people. I talk to him everynight in my living room. We have some beers while discussing how the world is going to end. I've given god some very good ideas to kill off everybody. In 20 years a giant pile of shit is going to appear in the atlantic ocean and slowly over the next 100 years the oceans will turn to shit and the fumes will kill off everybody. BYE-BYE
God does not like this.