Talking to people who just played Fallout for the first time

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Talking to people who just played Fallout for the first time

Post by Temaperacl »

I ran into my younger brother earlier today, who had just started really playing the copy of Fallout I had lent him a while ago (One of the first lines out of his mouth- "Fallout is Addictive!"). Talking to him just brought back memories of how great a game Fallout is, and what it was like to play through it for the first time, when you didn't know what was going to happen. I had to bite my tongue to keep from revealing (even accidentally) the things he didn't know and was trying to figure out, and to keep from giggling at the things that he didn't know he didn't know..

Anyone else have experiences like this when intoducing people to Fallout?

My favorite line of the conversation (roughly):

"I'm pretty sure there's a Water Chip somewhere else, too.. Probably under the Cathedral."
Core Puzzle
Regular
Regular

Post by Core Puzzle »

When i lent Fallout to my younger brother, he didn't really like it, thought the combat was boring, and said there was too much you had to read. But then, he's an idiot.

Although i introduced a friend of mine to Fallout once. When i saw him a few days later, he asked me "how the hell you were supposed to complete the game when there's only 125 days left". I believe he was worried about not being able to reach the Hub and the water merchants in time. It takes quite a bit of restraint not to say anything :crazy:
Chuckie Chuckie 5 dollaz?
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

people on the bearpit boards(jaggedalliance2) got me to try this game, just because of talk of how good it is. I remember my first game though, I got stomped by that in the veeerrry first section of the game, before you enter the temple of trials.
Schala...I've missed you so...NO!
You must not climb death peak
You wouldnt make it very far anyway..
It has to be the right time...
and THEY...
THEY have to show you...the way
Gesus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Gesus »

fallout is a fucking sweet game i rembered the first time i played it and it was fucking awsome i failed grade 7 cause of it but they passed me anyways i don't know why but its cool :dance:

My favourite Quote my friend said while playing Fallout 2 " holy shit you can sleep with the mother and daughter" :pelvic_thrust:
me huh oh ya i'm a nobody
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Proof that "leave no child behind" doesn't work.
Harriers for the cup.
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

You believe that policy is dumb too. wolfman.
I have yet to get any of my friends into this.
and THEY...
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Damn thats a stupid kid. Ever heard of punctuation Gesus?

Anyway, brought fallout into the lives of a few friends. One of them got bored with it before she was done killing rats in the cave, But the other three loved it from the start.

I think my favorite moment from introducing Fallout to someone was when my cusin ran downstairs when I was eating breakfast, and acted out how Frank Horrigan died right there on the carpet.
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

When I first showed Fallout to a friend of mine, his words were:

"What the fuck? You have to click 3 times to attack something? Fuck this."

Good times.
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

what made him think you have to click three times?
and THEY...
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

One click to change from the movement cursor to the use cursor, one click to change from the use cursor to the attack cursor, and one click to select your target.
Core Puzzle
Regular
Regular

Post by Core Puzzle »

Yeah, 3 clicks. Horrible, a whole 3 clicks. If there's more than one button you have to mash, it's OMG COMPLECKZ!!!11
Chuckie Chuckie 5 dollaz?
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

:) I don't know if my friend played FO for a while because of my advertising, but I can't forget this:
"It was strange, I ended up blowing the Cathedral with a level 4 character"
My reply:
"Did you skip all the quests or what? I was level 15 there..."
He:
"No, I think I did all I needed. Just dunno...but it was a tough figth to get to the bomb"
Me:
"I can imagine..."

I can't get it how he did it, no levels at all! Lvl 4 there! and he went through every town! man... either he remembers wrong, or he got the idea a bit wrong :D or maybe it's his style..

And this was when a friend of mine played FO through and I was yet to finish it. He boasted how he killed the master and all. Well, I decided to play it through. I blew the Cathedral with the bomb, because I totally missed the door to the master. When the game ended and the story was told, the narrator asks: "Only one question remains...", there I thought: "Where was the darn Master!".

Cheers
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

My first experience with the Fallout Series was when my friend was describing his burnt copy of Fallout 2. (In retro-spect, I do believe he was rambling on about Broken Hills.)

The only reason why I pursued looking up Fallout was the reference the name made, being Nuclear War. I found the duel jewel set several months later after scouring shops. That, I believe was in Grade 8.

I played Fallout I first, due to the fact that I'm not a dumb fuck. I was making references, thinking about the Vault Dweller's travels across the wasteland, man it rocked.

Sure, the slow pace of combat put me off but briefly reading through fan forums make me want to feel "leet."

Nowdays, when I show off my awesome copy of Fallout to my Bauldur's Gate whore friends, they scoff at the Pip Boy and go back to playing Magic: The Gathering.

Bastards.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Core Puzzle wrote:Yeah, 3 clicks. Horrible, a whole 3 clicks. If there's more than one button you have to mash, it's OMG COMPLECKZ!!!11
Hell yeah, man. All I want is a game is to hold down the space bar and have shoot my minigun wit da kewl partikul 3ff3xxx, move me from kill to kill, and automatically chose on its own the linear plot dialogue options.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

People I talk to think "BG" when I say "RPG".

Fools. I pity them. :lalala:
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

its always the best when you first play the game, you get a feeling to it, and also you don't know what is going to happen next, or where to go. its all good. but when i first played it i think i may have missed the boss, i think i diidn't cause i usually explore the game the first time, not as much as the second time.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I was introduced to Fallout 2 at the age of... Uh, how old people are at 5th/6th grade. I didn't understand shit about it but played it because a) it was a gift from my uncle and b) I didn't have any other games worth playing at the moment.

Then I learned to love it and soon after found out about DAC. And here I am, still alive 'n' kicking.

Too bad not many of my friends have been interested in Fallout. Only one, actually... And one another person (who I don't know really well, only his name and stuff... but I know he loves Fallout :) ). Ach well, it's for the elite anyways.
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

i introduced fallout2 to my friends a couple years after i had it. they all like it!!! so now they all have a versoin of my fallout on there computer. they still play it.(introduced it to them mabe 3-4 years ago)