Silver Style Gets Another Ex-Black Isle Employee

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: Silver Style Gets Another Ex-Black Isle Employee

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Mad Max RW wrote:He worked at Black Isle on Fallout 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 formerly.
Gee, that's a great resume. Two games that not only haven't been released, they were in fact canned. I'm getting ideas for my own resume here...

Previously worked on multiple Arcanum mods.
GTA mods...
Quake mods...

All unfinished mind you, but hey! I could get a job at Silver Style!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Silver Style Gets Another Ex-Black Isle Employee

Post by Bobbin »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Gee, that's a great resume. Two games that not only haven't been released, they were in fact canned.
I think they should also mention the games he worked on like Icewind Dale 1+2 and Lionheart. However, BG3 and Fallout 3 sound just more impressive :)
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Impressive, yes, but irrelevant as far as determining actual work.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Bobbin wrote:German==Nazi comparisons, you must be a rhetorical genius!
Yea, you must be a genius too, taking this kind of comments seriously.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

lol.... great hire guys, a QA guy from LH!! WTG!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Sadly it seems to be necessary to point out that QA is similar in many ways to beta-testing... you can only do your best with what programmers let you have. What that is depends on the time publishers and bank will allow them. If publishers want it out the door, out it goes.

It should also be blindingly obvious even to you lot that working on Fallout 3 (canned or not - which would have had nothing to do with him) is both relevant and a definite plus.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Sorry.. duplicate post
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

why because he got to playtest someone else's ideas and can now telephone them to carsten + company? don't be ridiculous.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It'll be even worst. These QA guys will give Carsten and his SS BIS's ideas, so we'll get some frankenstein of game, half BIS half SS.

They'll try to play on two grounds at the same time.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Hertston wrote:It should also be blindingly obvious even to you lot that working on Fallout 3 (canned or not - which would have had nothing to do with him) is both relevant and a definite plus.
Why exactly? If you're stating that from an expertise point of view for Husges, well, experience is experience, but its not enough. Being a designer of projects which never came out is the same as being king of your bedroom: it works while you're in there, but its not going to do you any good in the real life - but in reality, you're missin experience. If you're stating that from an informational point of view (as far as Puuk and Huggies being aware of the concepts that went into Fallout 3), there is a difference between knowing what went into FO3, and what would make it FO3. Just because Carsten is surrounding himself with people involved in the project doesn't mean he can pull it off.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

@ Role-Player

I wouldn't dispute any of that. The point is, though, that having the involvement of someone who worked on Fallout 3 is likely to result in a better product than if it was done without that involvement. Obviously, there are people who might have made a bigger impact (most of whom probably already have jobs with Bioware :giggle: )... but nowhere have you explained why Jeff's involvement would be detrimental.
Just because Carsten is surrounding himself with people involved in the project doesn't mean he can pull it off.
No, it doesn't. All I'm saying is that the general assumption around here that he won't is equally invalid. I genuinely don't understand why there is so much hostility to the project here, be it The Fall, Fallout 3 or whatever. Carsten came here in the first place because he genuinely wanted the feedback from this community as he thought it would be valauable in producing a better game. Sure, he wants it to be a better game (and knows it must succeed in the US) because it will sell more, and make him more money - just the same as every other frigging developer and publisher.

Why not give some support for a new post-apoc RPG, at least until you know it's crap - and maybe help make it what you want it to be in the process ? You never know, he might just pull it off... in which case a few here are going to end up either eating large slabs of humble pie, or looking like complete assholes while everybody else enjoys the game.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Just like FO:BOS right? Have to wait and play it before knowing its crap. lewl

Elara's design decisions definitly helped the project along though.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Regarding the hostility towards the Fall, thats not shared by everyone, i think. I'm personally more against some of Carsten's comments/general attitudes than the game itself. The thing which i mainly dislike in the game is the combat system, and that i can leave with (i've tolerated far worse). And quite some people here are interested in it.

As for FO3, i wouldn't call it hostility. I'd call it a "leave the dead rest in peace". Why wait for it to be released to see it will be crap? People have developed this tendency to be spot on when it comes to things that might downgrade Fallout. People had the same kind of attitude with FO:Tactics before release, just as they did with BoS before release. Were they wrong? No. FO3 is dead, and someone with a big mouth is claiming he's interested in reviving it, and thinks he can do it by hiring people who worked on it. If he's actually interested in making a good job (as he stated), then i'll pay more attention to it if he contacts Tim Cain, Feargus Urquhart, and the rest of the original team. Just hiring people from a canned FO title isn't good enough.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Bottom line Hertston, and what all here is saying is that, can these fellers actually 'design'? Being 'near' the 'concept' of FO3 doesn't automatically make them great or even good designers. Who's to say 'good' designers were even picked for the next Fallout? By mere product of being a Fallout title, makes for great designers even being on the team? They could be awful, Fallout by name or not. I know I say this every post it seems, but Peter Molyneux for example is a great designer. Him being a part of a project IS a big deal. Fallout in of itself is meaningless. Fallout is Tim Cain and ex-team. Fallout otherwise is just another universe that does not make someone a good designer ( I think I said the same thing three different ways :P )

If all these media geniuses need is someone to sit on the phone all day with Germany, then they seriously should pick from the rabid fanbase here. Saint comes to mind of course immediately. Why is he any more or less a designer than these two guys?

Meh, oh well. :)

Cheers
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Hertston wrote:Sadly it seems to be necessary to point out that QA is similar in many ways to beta-testing...
Along these lines, I'd also like to point out that rain is similar in many ways to water falling from the sky.
------------------
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Why does everyone take FO3's excellence as a fact? Maybe it would have fucking sucked.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

s4ur0n27 wrote:Why does everyone take FO3's excellence as a fact? Maybe it would have fucking sucked.
I'm guessing it would have sucked.
------------------
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

no way saint, that orbital bomb platform would r0x0r j00[/code]
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Sauron Twenny Seven wrote:Maybe it would have fucking sucked.
I thought it was pretty much unanimous around here that, no matter what the developer, it would have sucked hard. Wacky.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Alright then, it's those new SDF then that are taking FO3's coolness as a fact instead of an hypothesis.