The Fall preview on Gamers with Jobs

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

The Fall preview on Gamers with Jobs

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[ -> Preview]</strong>

<A href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com">Gamers with Jobs</a> put up a <A href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/modules.p ... 0">lengthy preview</a> of <A href="http://www.the-fall.com">The Fall</a> for those interested. Here's a sample:
<br>
<br><blockquote>Battles, at least in theory, can take place on the whole map and certain aspects resemble squad-based strategy games. It also is possible to prepare an ambush if you manage to stay out of your enemy's line of sight and don't make too much noise. Of course, you can take advantage of AI support if you don't want to control every member of your party on your own. I couldn't see the latter option in action though since it was disabled in the version I got to see, a build that was just being worked on. I guess that's the price I had to pay for interrupting their development rather than waiting for a press build. Poor me.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>Automation and auto-pause! Sounds <i>exciting</i>.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

alright, let's start taking bets. how soon til they announce that AI teammates are removed and you control your whole squad? 1month? 3 months?

Or will they be sneaky and wait til the game is released? OOPS! We forgot to let you know, its not working, enjoy!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

I thought Puke was staying home so he could find a better job? Hes moving to Berlin now eh...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Gamers With Jog wrote:can take place on the whole map
Woah, that's pretty revolutionnary there.
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bobbin »

Silver wrote:I thought Puke was staying home so he could find a better job? Hes moving to Berlin now eh...
No, Carsten said he wanted to give Puuk the opportunity to find a job in his area so for now Puuk is staying where he is.
s4ur0n27 wrote:Woah, that's pretty revolutionnary there.
I don't think the term revolutionary was used at that point. There are not too many revolutionary points about The Fall, but a lot of good ideas taken from other games. The combat seems to be like KotOR but on a larger scale and more comfortable. And I don't know why they introduced AI teammates in the first place. I like to control my characters myself :)
Markman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Markman »

Wait, isnt the whole squad controllable, but they react on thier own if they see an enemy or something, like in Soldiers of Anarchy??
Look, maa, I'm a lumberjack!
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Of course, you can take advantage of AI support if you don't want to control every member of your party on your own.
Forgot to open your eye lids while reading?
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

Whats wrong with ye olde Turn-based combat?
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Grimnar wrote:Whats wrong with ye olde Turn-based combat?
The crowds don't like it, it's too slow!
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I hope Carsten never manages to find a publisher. If he does, I hope it's Interplay.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

s4ur0n27 wrote:
Grimnar wrote:Whats wrong with ye olde Turn-based combat?
The crowds don't like it, it's too slow!

Im not even gonna bother trying this game if they dont include an option for pure turn-based ... But before i realize they didnt i have probably quit allready cause of the puketastic graphics.

I remember a time when developers knew what made a good game ... :anger:

oh well ...
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bobbin »

Spazmo wrote:I hope Carsten never manages to find a publisher. If he does, I hope it's Interplay.
He already got one for Germany. Maybe you're in luck and he will never find one for the US so you never have to buy this evil game. Oh wait, you even needn't to if it was released in your country. However, there's a team of a few dozen people behind it with two ex-BIS'lers. It's nice wishing them to lose their jobs, because that's what happens if they wouldn't find a publisher. I still don't get it why people really hate Carsten around here. He didn't cancel anything, he didn't fire anyone. He is trying to get Fallout 3 which most of the visitors here would like to see. Stubborn.
Grimnar wrote:I remember a time when developers knew what made a good game ...
No, you just remember a time when developers made games you found to be good.
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

Yeah ... games that me and untold others found to be good ... games that todays brainless young gamers wouldnt see as genious even if you forwarded it thru obscure hidden messages in coca-cola commercials.

And theres no need to point out its just my opionion im speaking, that speaks for itself.

Or to point out something else painfully obvious;

"No, you just remember a time when developers made games you found to be good." - This is a peice of text on a forum.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Oh, YEAH, Bobbin, I fucking love Strehse. Really adore him. Nothing turns me on more than some asshole vulture who capitalises on the effective closing of BIS and cancellation of FO3 to promote his own game. I'm also really fond of clueless developers who choose to ignore people who prove them wrong. For shit's sake, everything was just fine. The horror that FO3 would have turned out to be was gone. The really good people of BIS were already at Obsidian, Sawyer was at Midway making GAUNTLET 3000 with John Romero (which is just fucking hilarious) and Puuk was nowhere, doing nothing, which is the preferred state for Puuk. Then Strehsen comes along, hires Puuk (bad idea, that man shouldn't be given opportunities to make games) and threatens to finish FO3. It would have been bad enough coming from BIS, but from Silver Style, it'd be just awful.

I just hope Gauntlet Xtreme Director's Cut Edition doesn't turn to shit.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*cheers for bobbin*

I gave up trying to argue my point against these manic depressives a long time ago, but good luck all the same ;)
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Does Puuk have a real name?
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Does Puuk have a real name?
Damien Foletto.

T-900 wrote:*cheers for bobbin*

I gave up trying to argue my point against these manic depressives a long time ago, but good luck all the same ;)
Some would say that bipolar disorder, real or imagined on the part of an outside observer, beats the hell out of histrionics.
fuck
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Killzig wrote:alright, let's start taking bets. how soon til they announce that AI teammates are removed and you control your whole squad? 1month? 3 months?
You can just assign an AI to them instead of controlling them - just like you could in the Infinity Engine. Technically, you're always in control of them, but you can use scripts if you'd like.
Bobbin wrote:He is trying to get Fallout 3 which most of the visitors here would like to see. Stubborn.
Interplay will never sell the rights to Fallout. It's one of the only licenses they own flat out that has a great deal of brand recognition. It'd be like shooting themselves in the foot with a bigger gun than they normally shoot themselves in the foot with.
------------------
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

"Interplay will never sell the rights to Fallout. It's one of the only licenses they own flat out that has a great deal of brand recognition. It'd be like shooting themselves in the foot with a bigger gun than they normally shoot themselves in the foot with."

So you foresee more console Fallout raping then?
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Grimnar wrote:So you foresee more console Fallout raping then?
Well, they split Fallout Enforcer's story in to two parts so they could make a sequel out of the second half of the story. What's that tell you?
------------------