Asinine Thief 3 Comment

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Asinine Thief 3 Comment

Post by EvoG »

From here :

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/thief3multi/

In the original Thief games, Garrett was more or less incapable of combat; so much so that it became frustrating to many players, including Spector. While he's no match for a squadron of heavily armed guards, he has some teeth to him this time around. Increasing the player's offensive capabilities not only adds a new gameplay element, it keeps you from having to throw your progress away just because you can't sneak your way through every second of the game flawlessly

Are you fucking kidding me!? That was the genius of the game...that if you didn't BECOME a thief...one excelled at stealth...you risked being taken down by those that excelled at fighting. THE THREAT WAS THAT MUCH MORE REAL. Now these fucks are ruining this as well, one day after I saw new screens and said "hmmm, this looks really good after all".

*sigh*

Just prior to this Spector says :

But in the way that Deus Ex: Invisible War was designed to achieve success with a wider audience, so too has Thief evolved from its original incarnations. "You can't make games for M.I.T. grads," Spector quipped,

Right, so if not the extreme right, lets go to the extreme left....lets just remove any real danger so that the poor gamers that can't hack being stealthy can just fucking slash their way through. Sure you can't fight more than one guy, but AI IN GAMES CAN BE EXPLOITED. We'll easily find a way to lure a single lone guard to us and then just fight him and kill him rather than HAVE to sneak through. This is lame. So no not MIT, but at the same time make sure fucking tards can have an option to simply "meh stealth" and just fight.

Steve Thief Anecdote :

"There I am, after dousing the single torch in a hallway where I hear voices behind a lone door, I sneak closer to eavesdrop on the converstation. Something about ale and a chest of gold by gruff sounding guards...and to my horror, they're done and decide to leave, and there I am stuck in the hallway with too far to run to get out of sight. I press as tightly as I can to the back wall (holding down the S key real hard ) to see the three guards walk right by me, inches from my face. Not only did they not catch me, but the last guard had a key I was able to gank at the last minute...that opened the chest they were just talking about containing gold and other booty"

A gaming moment that seems to be getting rarer and rarer these days as developers take beloved licenses and....oh nevermind....you know the same schpeil.

Cheers
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Sounds like the exact same shit Spector was pulling out of his ass before Invisible War. Another franchise is going down the toilet.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Asinine Thief 3 Comment

Post by Megatron »

EvoG wrote:
Steve Thief Anecdote :

"There I am, after dousing the single torch in a hallway where I hear voices behind a lone door, I sneak closer to eavesdrop on the converstation. Something about ale and a chest of gold by gruff sounding guards...and to my horror, they're done and decide to leave, and there I am stuck in the hallway with too far to run to get out of sight. I press as tightly as I can to the back wall (holding down the S key real hard ) to see the three guards walk right by me, inches from my face. Not only did they not catch me, but the last guard had a key I was able to gank at the last minute...that opened the chest they were just talking about containing gold and other booty"
Big deal, they made the game easier my making the guards fucking stupid and adding in booty. Why should pressing in the S key really hard be different from pressing it in normally? Wouldn't the player slowly slide right or left like in every other game?

BIZARRO

Anything that gamespy touches turns into a bubbling crater of shit.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Seems i found another game to bitch about.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Re: Asinine Thief 3 Comment

Post by EvoG »

Megatron wrote:Big deal, they made the game easier my making the guards fucking stupid and adding in booty. Why should pressing in the S key really hard be different from pressing it in normally? Wouldn't the player slowly slide right or left like in every other game?
Hehe, I think you misunderstood...that was my gaming experience I had in the original thief series(I know, stupid of me to label it the way I did with me in the 3rd person, sorry :) )...pressing the S key harder obviously does not do anything Mega :giggle: ,I was expressing how much I didn't want to get caught...and the enemy wasn't stupid; I was in the darkened hallway and they didn't bump into me, so they simply just didn't notice me. Thats brilliant! Very suspensful. And to top it off I risked getting caught by taking the key that as swinging on the belt of the last guard as he walked by...the key to get the treasure in the guardroom, which is the 'key' to the game...so of course there's booty. Thing is great experiences like this are harder to come by in todays games and thats pretty sad.

Cheers
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Anything that gamespy touches turns into a bubbling crater of shit.
I wouldn't be so quick to credit them for Spector's fuck-ups. They even mention at the top of their preview that the 'iffy' is that "The game design is so delicately balanced that it could spiral out of control." Damn right. Spector's walking on thin ice here, if he pushes for the combat implementation too hard without any compensation for the AI, the entire game will turn into a third person shooter shitfest, which I suspect he will if Invisible War is any evidence for that.

In any case, the game is pretty fucking ugly. Just look at those blurry low-res 48x48 X-Box textures and those hard shadows. Painkiller's darker levels completely kick the shit out of Thief 3's looks.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

They, like many other sites, called Deus Ex Invisible War one of the best titles of the year, though. They need to wipe the semen off of their collective chin.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

And to think I was looking forward to Thief 3...

Well, if they add "combat implemention," they'd sure as hell better keep and improve the way Thief is supposed to be played: Carefully. If sneaking around proves to be A) pointless, or B) not as rewarding than slashing one's way around, then I might rent it (its coming out for the XBOX, PS2, and PC, right?).

I really liked Thief 1 and I fucking LOVED Thief 2. I just wish I could get user-made maps to work...

They'd best not screw Thief up as much/more than "they" screwed up FO.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Spector is also the guy who said that multiple paths in a CRPG are pointless because most players only play a game once anyway.

He's probably the most overrated person in the industry.
------------------
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Spector is also the guy who said that multiple paths in a CRPG are pointless because most players only play a game once anyway.
I could have sworn that was David Gaider, but I can see Warren saying the same thing.
fuck
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Saint wrote:Spector is also the guy who said that multiple paths in a CRPG are pointless because most players only play a game once anyway.
I find it impossible to believe that someone (especially someone in the industry) would say that. I'm guessing that's a misquote.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

Spector isn't actually WORKING on any of these games anymore. He's become more of the executive in charge of ION Storm.
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

Slave_Master wrote:
Saint_Proverbius wrote:Spector is also the guy who said that multiple paths in a CRPG are pointless because most players only play a game once anyway.
I could have sworn that was David Gaider, but I can see Warren saying the same thing.
I also could've sworn it was Gaider, talking about how multiple paths in a CRPG were exponentially troublesome and not worth it because people won't replay many games.

Though i do remember Warren saying something "since most people only play a game once anyway, there will be a surprise at the middle of DX:IW". Something like that.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

A BioWare guy, probably Gaider, said the multiple paths thing.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Mad Max RW wrote:Sounds like the exact same shit Spector was pulling out of his ass before Invisible War. Another franchise is going down the toilet.
I liked invisible war, indeed it wasnt as good as the first deus-ex and the biomods were rather boring, but in the whole I had much fun with it.
Too bad only that no choices you made prior to liberty Island really mattered in other ways than which reward you'd get.
Offcourse I may be wrong with that, but taht's the impression I got.
Oh, and the main character was lamer than JC ever was.
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

I found deus ex invisble war fun
the only 2 thing I have agaisnt this game is:
1. the ammo system
2. the level are way more smaller then the first one

Btw I dont give a flying fuck about the skill system
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

As long as they leave System Shock alone, I'll be happy.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Turan
Regular
Regular

Post by Turan »

I would give that award to Sid Miers, who only made great games with Bryan Renold's backing him up (save maybe Pirates), but I thought you hated Molyenex? At least he is alot more charismatic and maybe even likeable then Specter is quickly becoming. Though, to be fair, I think Edios is pulling an Interplay-level act of stupidty on him.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Moleneux's Black and White was awful, but we're talking about the guy who also did Dungeon Keeper and Populous, both of which were fantastic.

David Gaider made the comment about how creating multiple paths through a game exponentially increase the design time. I argued that it didn't.

Spector, on gamasutra, said that creating multiple paths through a CRPG was a waste of time because most players only play a game through once. He's missing the point though, if there's only one path, there's no role playing. It's the paths and options that give you the opportunity to do things your way based on the skills of your character.
------------------
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

Black and white wasnt awful, but he made alot of mistake. Even him admit it and said it would be corrected in B&W 2.