That Was A Quick Run

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Slave_Master wrote:
Bobbin wrote:The conformity among this board is really stinking.
You mean people with similar opinions would post on the same message board? Well I never!
Mwahahahahahahahahahaha

I say, I do think the board is conforming to give you a subliminal message there buddy.

And something I've been meaning to say for a while...

Evo, why whenever a thread pops up regarding the fall, are you on the scene with some mockery? Is it because you feel threatened? Insecure? Does your diaper need a change?

I mean, come on, it's old. The Fall sucks. We don't need you to remind us.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

SDMVersion3 wrote:Evo, why whenever a thread pops up regarding the fall, are you on the scene with some mockery? Is it because you feel threatened? Insecure? Does your diaper need a change?
Burn!
Last edited by EvoG on Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

If you say so, champ.
Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

EvoG wrote:
SDMVersion3 wrote:Evo, why whenever a thread pops up regarding the fall, are you on the scene with some mockery? Is it because you feel threatened? Insecure? Does your diaper need a change?
Burn!
Yeah Evog, shame on you for talking about a post-apocalyptic game on a post-apocalyptic genre fansite.

We should instead be like IGN and praise every piece of PA gaming, and use words like "dark humor" and "gritty" when describing PA games.

NO CRITICISM ALLOWED
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Nothing wrong with criticism.

But he's not providing criticism, he's being critical.

There's a difference.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

SDMVersion3 wrote:Nothing wrong with criticism.

There's a difference.
Perhaps you missed all the FOBOS stuff on this forum?

Anyway if someone's pimping out the Fallout name just to sell a few copies on a PA game, they deserve all the heat they get.
Last edited by Menno on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I thought we were talking about The Fall.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

Lunchmeat wrote:I thought we were talking about The Fall.
We are.

The FOBOS comment was in reference to all the FOBOS bashing that was occuring on these boards which was much more than just criticism. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty much ALL deserved. But its not like being critical of yet another PA game pimping out the Fallout name is a new thing around here.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Actually in this particular thread I only posted twice, neither which was criticism, just a comment...in fact one was merely a 'LEWL' because I found stuff that was said 't3h phu33'.

Other posts regarding the Fall I was indeed giving analytical critics, for example, to why I felt the graphics were lacking...IN a thread not started by me but rather by an SSE fanboy. My comments were neutral and given like an art-director critique.

Fact of the matter is, everyone here at DaC started off trying to be rather civil about The Fall and to Carsten, and things got out of control(Saint made a comment about this just the other day), of which people became annoyed at Carsten, which only made the criticism against The Fall the greater.

*shrugs*

Cheers
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Evo: They were unnesscessary mildly inflamatory comments, wether drawn behind a smiley or not, it just seems you came in here to have a laugh at the competition, which in my eyes, reflects poorly on you.

Menno: First of all, the FOBOS bashing I find to be problematic as well, because most of the people who do it have no interest to ever try the game. I am of the opinion "don't knock it till you try it", which is why I have kept bashing the game to a minimum until I can get my hands on it.

Secondly, FOBOS is being produced by what was once a major industry force with several divisions and two games of the year under their belt. So when they begin to spew with the crap, it's safe to assume that, them being a large game development house, it is as a result of a lack of effort.

SSE is not a commercial powerhouse and they have no games of the year.

So all I'm saying is would it be so wrong to cut them some slack?

I don't really care either way. I'm just taking up space.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hell I actually agree with you. I'm the last person to really bash any games til I've tried them, as I play everything...games a lot of people here would see as too commercial, dumb-down and too console-y.

This unique instance, we're seeing a developer who's trying to appeal to this community JUST to get itself some attention, with both token gestures and claims of possibly getting the FO license. A variety of exchanges between Carsten and higher members here educed some negative feelings. Hell at one point I thought Cartsen was insulting my intelligence (though it was a misunderstanding and was apologized to).

I'd like to see a positive communication with regards to games like this rather than ploys to engage us but not to actually commit to banding the community around a product.

Bill Cosby said it best in one episode, where he's talking to Vanesa's new beau...(Cosby isn't happy with the whole situation)...

so he asks, "whats your favorite food ever?"

Beau : "Steak"

Cosby : "Yeah Steak! Maybe with mashed potatos?"

Beau-Smiling : "Yeah!"

Cosby : "And some vegetables and cornbread!?"

Beau-Very Enthused : "Yeah yeah!"

Cosby : "ALRIGHT!" reaches behind him "Now picture that meal...served to you on a garbage can lid"

Beau-Nodding in Understanding

Cosby : "You see, it was in the 'presentation'. The food is fine but it was the way it was delivered" (referring to how Vanessa suprised the family with her news of having a fiancee )

(Disclaimer *This isn't verbatim* )

The Fall was presented on the lid of said garbage can.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

I don't see anything wrong with blatent self-promotion.

In this case, it's caused a backlash; maybe, rightly so.

All I know is that The Fall started out and it seemed like everyone wanted to play it, and somewhere, somehow, a memo went out that said SSE was ubergay and to piss all over them at every chance.

I missed something. So wether the negativity is justified, or not, I can't testify to.

All I can say is that it's negative.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

It is negative, I agree. I dunno what else to tell ya. Truth be told I'd rather the game not suck than suck, as that means one less good game to play.

Cheers
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

SDMVersion3 wrote:Nothing wrong with criticism.

There's a difference.
Yeah, we tried that. However, Carsten shot down any helpful suggestions or constructive criticism with "NO! I LEIK IT HOW IT IS!"
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

EvoG wrote:
Bill Cosby said it best in one episode, where he's talking to Vanesa's new beau...(Cosby isn't happy with the whole situation)...

so he asks, "whats your favorite food ever?"

Beau : "Steak"

Cosby : "Yeah Steak! Maybe with mashed potatos?"

Beau-Smiling : "Yeah!"

Cosby : "And some vegetables and cornbread!?"

Beau-Very Enthused : "Yeah yeah!"

Cosby : "ALRIGHT!" reaches behind him "Now picture that meal...served to you on a garbage can lid"

Beau-Nodding in Understanding

Cosby : "You see, it was in the 'presentation'. The food is fine but it was the way it was delivered" (referring to how Vanessa suprised the family with her news of having a fiancee )

(Disclaimer *This isn't verbatim* )

The Fall was presented on the lid of said garbage can.
Well, the course itsself is terrible in every manner, so I dunno.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

God fucking dammit this conversation sucks. We already have enough "Bitch about The Fall" topics.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Mad Max RW wrote:God fucking dammit this conversation sucks. We already have enough "Bitch about The Fall" topics.
But there's only one topic about this particular news event, and that's why locking news comment threads is a bad idea.
------------------
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Wooooooo. Thanks Saint for opening this again, now I can give Bobbins a hint as to what DaC would like him to do.

Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Dude I SO remember that episode! ( God forbid I admit to watching that show ) but yea! No joke!

HAHA...People here think prolly think that says something else...everyone on the show was laughing, even whats his face, the new guy...

The puzzle was "Shot the FOCK IP"

You supercomputing network tech-heads, you know what a FOCK IP is, and in their little moment of levity, just means that you borked a setting(FOCK; based on the ROHF-Restricted Hartree-Fock ) on your BGP ( Border Gateway Protocol ) ...k I'll keep this non-technical as I can(as I have no idea what I'm talking about)... but yea I guess you get a whole slew of CRC errors(could be wrong in my assumption-matrix errors I want to say?) as data gets transimitted exponentially, as more data requests are received than the actual destination machine can handle(running in parallel mind you so you get simultaneous transfer errors but the loop doesn't end), but it doesn't know that. BOOM, you can't just shut down that one station, but the whole network, as on a reboot requests are still being made so the system is basically stuck in a loop...safe mode, reset value, reboot( you know how long those take!). Its really a n00b thing in the community rather than anything bad....and it took on life like RTFM did or some shit. It doesn't pertain exaclty to ROHF only that thats what they call it when dealing with networking supercomputers.

Keep in mind that this was a special like Berkley MIT techy episode, so this was more humorous for the audience than anything....I mean who the FUCK would get this??! ...yet its obviously quite funny...thinking what you think it does.

Anyway, lo and behold here's the linky...

http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/qcg/immp/

Classic...Hilarity DID ensue..those silly geeks...

Cheers
Ozrat
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Ozrat »

Tee hee hee![/geeky giggling]
ExtremeRyno wrote:I don't really represent the views that I've written here in this thread... I just like to type.