Hellboy

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

atoga wrote:The best critics are the New York Times / New Yorker ones (check the interweb), or just peruse around Rotten Tomatoes for a good average review,
The New York Times loved Hellboy and it's scoring above 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I can't wait to see how you sputter and backpedal when you see Hellboy and fucking hate it, as is your movie asshole duty.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hey I have thought...why not make up your own mind instead of having 'SomeGuy.tm' make up your mind for you.

Do people ACTUALLY listen to critics anymore? Don't you see a trailer for an upcoming movie and immediately know if you want to see it or not? Is there any certainty that any critic will like the same exact things about a movie you will?

Never understood this sheeple mentality.

Cheers
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

sometimes I like a movie then read a negative review and it makes me like the movie less? Crasy nagging doubts. But usually a reviewer lets everyone know how much of a movie buff he is by name-dropping, so I get too watch more movies LOL

Orwell, I don't read reviews. Sometimes the rating on rotten tomatoes, but that can be wrong too.
:chew:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Movie critics are for those border line people who don't know if its worth spending money on. Take for instance Mr. Green, after hearing that Ebert (a respected critic) enjoyed the movie thought that maybe it wasn't as bad as he thought it was so may now go and see it. This type of service is also good if you consider how much movie tickets cost no adays and that its easy to spend up to $20 in movie tickets and food. It's not so much as "Following what they say" as sheep as much as getting an informed opinion.

Its like if you ask your friend Marv how was such and such movie and he says it was awesome and you go see it because of his suggestion. You're not following Marv around as if you were a sheep, you were just going on suggestion seeking as good of a time as Marv.

Really, critics don't do much for me as I read the critic reviews AFTER I watch a movie, or maybe see a review once or twice before. But if theres a movie I want to see (Like Hellboy) I would see it even if there was good or bad consensus. However, for a movie thats iffy, such as "Passion of the Christ", I'll look to a critic to tell me if I should spend $20.
Harriers for the cup.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I just wait for the DVD, then buy it. I'm tuff like that. And also poor.

I read one or two reviews from critics who would love the movie. If they hate it I don't bother. Vice Versa. aintitcoolnews is usually a good place for the shittest movie as the head reviewer sucks a lot dicks to get into movies or something. If he gives a bad review on something or doesn't mention his father, you know it's pretty darn bad.

Dig?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Spazbigfatdoodyhead wrote: The New York Times loved Hellboy and it's scoring above 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I can't wait to see how you sputter and backpedal when you see Hellboy and fucking hate it, as is your movie asshole duty.
The joke's fucking dead already, Spazmo. One more crack and I come to your house and kill you.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I use my local paper's critic, Soren Anderson, to decide what I' might want ot see, that is, by doing the opposite of what it says. He (Soren) has shit-tastic taste in movies for hte most part, so if he scores low I am usually spurred into reading about hte movie at the least .That is... when I read the paper about twice a year.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

EvoG wrote:Hey I have thought...why not make up your own mind instead of having 'SomeGuy.tm' make up your mind for you.

Do people ACTUALLY listen to critics anymore? Don't you see a trailer for an upcoming movie and immediately know if you want to see it or not? Is there any certainty that any critic will like the same exact things about a movie you will?

Never understood this sheeple mentality.

Cheers
?

So... Studio marketing is more trustworthy than critics somehow?
Literacy is overated.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Huh?

You mean the trailer? Of course it is fool, its the 'demo' of the movie industry. I'd argue 95% of the trailers I've seen where I've liked what I saw, I liked the movie.

Thats not studio marketing tricks...thats simply showing me the product and I like it or I don't. They can edit the trailer all they want...if I like the subject matter, compelled by character interaction, amazed by the special effects and action, they can cut it however they want, its still parts of the movie. All the critics offer is their opinion, so yea, I don't care what they say.

Hell, today trailers give away TOO much of the movie IMO.

Cheers
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Interesting. I generally don't trust trailers complete, and instead try to get opinions from both professional critics and friends and acquainances before making up my mind to see a movie. Since I read several critics' opinions, including intentionally finding opposing viewpoints and weighing how each critic presents their criticisms, I really don't think that's very sheeplike.
Literacy is overated.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I don't trust trailers at all. They just cut and edit stupid things that make no sense or have no connection in the actual movie. They're more of annoyances and simply serve the purpose of telling me to find out real information about the movie.

EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Alrighty then...well who cares, Hellboy rocked!

Yay!

Cheers
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

The trailers for Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind made the movie out to be a lot more retard humor than was actually in the movie. Luckily, I have read the book the movie is based on, so I knew more of what to expect.

After watching it the night it came out, I'm still not sure if I liked the movie or not. I left feeling that I had watched a movie....No other emotions than that.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't like watching trailers, too many spoilers?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

The answer to your first question is shaddup.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I don’t know weather to say damn or hooray.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I say hooray. I'll definately see it.

Edit: haha the Beast from Beauty and the Beast vs. Hellboy. That would be a sad fight.

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Previews show all the good parts then when your in the movie you dont get the wow factor. I hate it like in comedies they show the funniest part so when you see it, its not that funny anymore and the whole movie sucks.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Killzig wrote:Hellboy 2 confirmed...
Fuckin' A. Can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully, they'll notice how neat it was to have Hellboy and Abe Sapiens be an actual person in a costume doing actual stunts and try to have more rubber costumes vs. CGI stuff for other monsters and whatnot. And let's have this Lobsterclaw Johnson character Zig keeps talking about--no idea who he is, but he sounds cool.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex

Post by Guest »

It's a superhero movie. Ergo, I'm not seeing it.

And ENOUGH with the crappy CGI. Did Spiderman teach us nothing?