Far Cry. Yep, I had to post this.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Oh, OK.

It's the same kind of AI as in MGS or Manhunt then?
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I little improved, but yeah.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Sounds good. I'll give it a try. Is the multiplayer axed toward deathmatches or are there more stealthy maps?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

i wonder if evog is stil pooping his pants over this game or he actually got past the "omg" stage.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Well since I beat it, yea "OMG", has died down since I'm not 'on the ride' anymore, but that doesn't diminish the "OMG" game it is, though, interestingly enough, I just played AND finished System Shock 2 again. as I never replay games, but I desired that tense, anxious feeling you get playing SS2. Keep in mind this game is what, 4 years old? I still think about walking through the forests of Trespasser, and though Farcry has the superior graphics, Trespasser, despite lacking in any real gameplay, had a certain something that made it amazing to me(to explore). GrandTheftAuto3 has that energy, where you don't need to do anything to enjoy it, as just driving and causing mayhem is satisfying in of itself. Fallout(preaching to the choir), had the atmosphere, though truthfully I've been only able to stand playing through it twice since a game like that is always about story, and once I know the story, unless it has some energy or exploration(like the above games) I don't enjoy them again, as I know what happens. But it has left a lasting impression. HalfLife 1, left a lasting impression.

So yea, I wonder if I'll have that 'itch' to play Farcry again in a year.

Cheers
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I dont know about playing singleplayer again, but I'm hoping that some good multiplayer mods will come out. If nothing else this game will live on at my LANs.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Are there any Far Cry mods coming out? I heard about one called <a href="www.europe-2k.de">Europe2k</a> that looked pretty cool, kind of a standard war mod. There&#8217;s an awesome one coming out called <a href="http://xisle.ngz-network.de/index.php">X-Isle</a>. You presumably fight dinosaurs, thus fulfilling my lifelong dream. The whole game looks pretty nice but very unfinished, and there&#8217;s something funny about the dinosaur in the screenshots because it doesn&#8217;t blend with the background correctly. I would tell you more about those two but I can't read German.

Edit: http://www.pandora-forces.de/
Pandora Forces is a multiplayer modification for FarCry.
The story is about a fictitious conflict in the year 2007 in which guerillas assume power over Bolivia. Because of the fact, that the situation in Bolivia gets beyond control bit by bit, the NATO decides to send a special-unit, which is staffed with the best men of NATO´s leading special-units.
In this manner they want to smooth the way for a democracy in Bolivia, which suffered hard during the revolution. Furthermore the unit has the task to find weapons of mass destruction and to get them under control or to destroy them as far as possible. In Addition they´re ordered to smash the
arising cartel, which will affect the drug distribution worldwide.
Will this operation be successful? Will the NATO troops win and will they restore law and order?
It´s up to you!
Anyone spotted some others?
Last edited by CloudNineGT on Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Far Cry has the perfect environment already built in for a new Jurassik Park. Single player might be fun, and a coop single player could be awesome. Chasing dinos with a few friends, yay!!
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Fuckin 1.1 patch completely screws up Far Cry on my rebuilt computer. It'll run fine for about 15 minutes then all of a sudden there's a million texture glitches. Deleted and did a fresh reinstall without applying the patch and it's fine again. Will have to wait for 1.2.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

That’s too bad, color cryvision (most noticeable change) makes it a lot easier to spot things that when they were just bright white.

**Spoiler?**

How did you guys beat the part of the last level after you kill Kreeger(sp) and have to go out into what looks like the middle of the volcano? There's like 20 Trigens down there and they all like to kick my ass real hard. I tried running through too but they just shoot me down.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I read somewhere that you can push a chair from the armoury beneath one of the doors, then let the fratboys come near you so you KILL THEM and finish off the jumping gimps with sniper rifle mebbe?

the last level is a bit crap. and I wanted to see more of kreegle.
:chew:
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Thanks, that door trick was all I needed, though I got impatient and used rockets to move it instead of pushing. It gave me enough space to kill these two fatboys that were constantly givin' me shit. Fun game, it really rekindled an older feeling in games where they don’t bother to explain a lot of things but it doesn’t piss me off, though as you said "Kreegle" was disappointing. I expected him to run away like Crow did (five times?) until the ultimate battle where he’s like ramping around in a jeep with a rocket launcher. Oh well.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Who plays online? I haven’t much but maybe it would be fun to get a few of the people from the community into a deathmatch. Anyone interested?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I still havn't finished this game. Got bored and started playing other things.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've still not downloaded the game. 3.5GB is a bit much for my tastes as I got to 99% and the file became corrupted because of a power failure.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Stainless wrote:I still havn't finished this game. Got bored and started playing other things.
Yea I do that all the time, with pretty much every game. The overall quality dropped drasticaly over the years.

I used to be able to replay some games like ten times or more, like Fallout.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I fixed the crazy graphics corruptions with the beta 60.85 Forceware drivers and only played for another day or two. Right now I'm addicted to Alien Swarm for UT2k4. Oh yeah, and got back into Mechwarrior 4 after having lost the CD's for 3 years.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ok, I just had to bring this topic back from the dead, because I've been playing quite a lot of Far Cry lately...

... and I must say it's quite boring.

Don't get me wrong - the enviroment's nice, graphics are beautiful, enemies work pretty well, the weapons and vehicles are interesting. But it starts repeating itself, very much so during those indoors parts. There are also some oddly tough points during the later half, which make the game seem impossible for 10-15 minutes and then the difficulty level drops significantly lower again. All of the traditional FPS clichés are included, not to mention some hideous bugs that can make some parts of the game unplayable (you get stuck and have to load next map through cheats, no other way out). Oh, and there's of course a spot where you lose all your hard-earned weapons and have no other option than to run from all those freaky enemies surrounding you. Not being able to fly a helicopter, but trying to get along with a hang glider instead was awful as well.

If the last four or five maps would've been cut out, the action would've been much more enjoyable. On the scale 1-10 I'd give this game either 6 or 7, depending on my mood.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yea, hate it when the's super tough for a few rooms, then it gets easy, then ultra tough, and again and again.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But I gotta say in the game's defense, that it sure as hell looks pretty. I ran it with all settings on low(est) and it looked better than any other game I've played before.