That GameInformer article in full...

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
brillo
Regular
Regular

Post by brillo »

Sovy Kurosei wrote: I don't know why any developer would start talking about their ideas for a game, and then make it appear as though it was written in stone.
Three ambiguous sentences and you're talking about people's worst fears being 'set in stone'. Chill out hun. :chick:

Nothing's written in stone untill the game goes gold. That's why companies are usually so hessitant to try and communicate with their fanbase. Things change and evolve althroughout a games development. Lets face it, a lot of fans, especially the hardcore obsessive internet forum dwelling types can't really handle the waiting or being unsure.
jiujitsu wrote:"I make game for my Fallout Fiends.. err.. Friends. Me no care if anyone else buy it!"
I honestly think there are people out there who expect FO3 to be a FO2 mod. :confused2:
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

brillo;

But it does show the intentions from the developers on what they want to do with the Fallout franchise. So far we have not been hearing very many reassuring words.

And now Pete posted on NMA, and it does sound like Todd is just talking about smack.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

The goggles thing is a gimmick by one of those strange people who believes ripping off other story settings is a good idea... It is simply a ripoff of Riddick's eyeshine, that he must wear specially made goggles (much like a welding mask i think) to survive bright light without burning out his retinas... This not only guarantees First person/partial first person, but..

Fallout wasn't focused upon any one thing.. it wasn't 'a dark post-apocalypse future, with a quest for.. A MAJIK SWORD', and the game was not focused upon the water chip, or the GECK in FO2... the focus was the fallout universe, and the way your character influenced and was influenced by it... If they can make such a big deal out of a pair of goggles to shield your sensetised eyesight, it's not good news for how much attention will be paid to the story, the universe, the main quest-line, or.. anything much. It would be like Fallout's bulletpointed features on the back of the box beginning with 'Fight Crime With the Awesome Might of the Psychich Nullifier!!!!!!!!1111'.. =|

Urgh.

If nothing else, we should atleast have an atmospheric post-apocalypse setting...

My main hope now is that they'll somehow decide to and manage to call it 'Fallout: (some first person RPG title)' as opposed to Fallout 3... As it is, the *numbered* fallout line, the true fallout line, is unspoiled... if this game is as much of a perversion as it could be, then i'd rather it be another 'Fallout: attack of the gerbils', without daring to take the number 3, and leave a slight hope of a good true third game.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

On the subject of goggles:

Fallout 2 Intro Movie, anyone?

They are not ripping anyone off.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

By the way, stop rambling.

The interviews were done on the same week (and a few weeks after) they acquired the license. They had nothing back then - these were just ideas being tossed around. It isn't as if the game's been in 2 years of development.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

Exitium:

Beginning of Fallout 1?

The goggle idea sounds like a gimmick. No, wait, at least a gimmick would try to attract people to buy the game. The "using of goggles until you trained your eyesight!" dealie sounds more like something out of a bad dream than a practical, good, wholesome idea.
jiujitsu
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jiujitsu »

I think the goggle idea is a good idea. It shows that they are trying to get ideas from the previous games. It is also more realistic.

It would be a stupid idea in isometric, I agree. Unless it wasn't an actually visually handicapping the PLAYER, but the PLAYER CHARACTER. Kind of like how poison would eventually wear off. Instead of a red box popping up and saying "poisoned" it would say "light sensitive" or something. This would impair your perception greatly right off the bat and maybe this could be used to force some interesting combat tactics early on. Then you find some goggles or glasses and it makes your perception improve, but won't let it go higher than a certain level. Then eventually your eyes adjust and you can take them off and have as high a perception as you chose in character creation. Not to mention the possibilities of funny little messages on your Pipboy screen: "Due to your inability to see out here you trip over a rock, fall off a cliff, and some radscorpions break your fall. *commence combat*

It can be done really well I think. If they care to.
I am Megatron alt #7.

#fallout (irc.gamesurge.net)
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yes. I'm not against new ideas. It's just the first person thing that really bothers me.
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

jiujitsu:

I don't know how it would make combat more interesting. The first few levels is usually with your character going toe-to-toe against some minor baddie insect, irregardless of what weapon specialization you decide to take. And I don't see how it would force you to do interesting tactics in the first place, since the levels will have to be designed to accomodate such liabilities. Early in the game no doubt.

If it is for realism, yes, that makes a point. But why not implement a food and water system, for realism sake? Wouldn't that make the game more realistic? Although I can't see the goggles scenario really be that game breaking if implemented with half a brain, unlike the turnoff that the Temple of Trials were.

However, the scenario you described jiujitsu sounds a bit more interesting than what I was imaging that the Bethesda developers might try to do.