New Poll

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

New Poll

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Community -> Editorial ]</strong>

Go and vote.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

West cost because it would be more deserty. With the east cost and shit you would have like dark brown for ground color.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Somewhere, anywhere other than America. Fresh outlook, not so many looming plot inconsistencies/issues et al. Wishful thinking. :drunk:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

And also none of the elements that make Fallout Fallout. FEV, the BOS, super mutants, Vaults... all of these don't exist outside of America. Sure, you could come up with a different set of wacky shit to have in Europe or Russia or wherever, but then why bother calling it Fallout at all?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I, personally, think the East coast would be an awesome place to play (and likely considering Bethesda is on the East coast). You've got all the crazy shit in DC, major military bases, huge cities in Boston and NY, even Philly.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Innovation is impossible then, Spazmo ? Why must Fallout be tied to several specific consequences and/or symptoms of a fictional nuclear conflict and the twits who survive it ? Keep it to the same alternate world, retain the timeline and history, yet introduce a new regional setting, characters, conflicts and so on. I cannot see any need to abandon the key elements of Fallout for such to be workable. There's only so much one can do with carry over material. Eventually it becomes stale. The possibilities are many, and it would be foolish to suggest that there is no room for the game to grow, rather than stagnate. Disagree to agree. Hooray.

In all honesty, as long as the game is well executed, enjoyable and captivating, I won't mind at all where it is situated. :drunk:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Is it possible that FEV spread across continents and oceans? How about kicked to death by a hyper-roo?
I miss the good ol' USSA.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Its probably possible, like if one of the mutants got smart and created a super lab of destruction in canadas wilderness. Or maybe the orcs jumped into the glow and became mutated even more then were able to make babies, then you start as your head comes out of your fathers vagina.

I'm pretty open to what they use, as long as it sounds cool.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

I say let's stick to America, because 1. it's characteristic for Fallout 2. a game taking place somewhere else than North America made by Americans would probably suck for players from that particular region (as regards people's behaviour and other culturally-motivated stuff)
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

All of fucking america, dammit.
Serious Business.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Van Buren did a move towards Midwest, so it's quite possible that FO3 doesn't take place on the West Coast. The problem with West Coast is that it's already pretty well covered in the first 2 games, so creating new locations can be a hard thing to do so that they are plausible and explainable. I'd like to see the game set in deserty landscape with locations that fit well into the overall survival theme like Junktown, the Hub etc. Because FO3 is an official sequel, it needs some ties to the places and events on the West Coast, but hopefully not as dumb as BoS blimps n' shit á la Tactics.

Ultimately I agree with Blargh; it doesn't really matter as long as the game rocks.
PiP

Post by PiP »

I couldn't finish writing my previous post, so I'm doing it now:
I also say let's move to the East Coast, because West has already been explored in F&F2 and it's time for something new, while middle east and midwest are rather uninteresting. Oh ok, Chicago-Detroit-Indianapolis area could be fine, or Denver-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Phoenix area.
Snoffy
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Snoffy »

I was doubting between the East Coast or Europe, but since I live in Europe I voted for that one.

But I agree with most of you here, it doesn't matter if it's done well.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Snoffy wrote:I was doubting between the East Coast or Europe, but since I live in Europe I voted for that one.

I know this is speculative, but...

Europe(and/or Russia) would be problematic beacuse they have no connection whatsoever to the previous 2 games. You'd have to create the background and setting from scratch. I believe this would cause much controversy. Also, do you think it would appeal enough to the North-American fans of the series. I think not. So far the fate of the old continent has remained a mystery and so be it.
PiP

Post by PiP »

I think it would appeal neither to the North-American fans of the series, nor to the European ones, for reasons I stated before.
Snoffy
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Snoffy »

VasikkA wrote:
Snoffy wrote:I was doubting between the East Coast or Europe, but since I live in Europe I voted for that one.

I know this is speculative, but...

Europe(and/or Russia) would be problematic beacuse they have no connection whatsoever to the previous 2 games. You'd have to create the background and setting from scratch. I believe this would cause much controversy. Also, do you think it would appeal enough to the North-American fans of the series. I think not. So far the fate of the old continent has remained a mystery and so be it.
Agreed, it would require some heavy thinking to pull that one off. But if they succeed why not? Personally I don't think American fans would mind, then again I don't exactly know how they all think.

And since we're being speculative here: Bethesda will probably go for an area in America (eg. East Coast) for reasons you stated above.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

It would lose a lot of its flavor/kitsch if moved anywhere outside of the US. Its just got that vibe of nuked post war consumerism... The east coast would be fine but they've got to stay away from the pop culture references and remember the fallout world != our world.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'd say East coast, but having Europe and/or Asia's fate as part of the plot would be interesting. Like having refugees arriving or something.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

The desert and wide spaces is a big part of Fallout. East Coast can't have it. It's either really cramped, or too many forested areas.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Why do you have to choose a coast why don't you set it in Deep south and then you can go to mexico thats like fallout irl anyway and theres a swamp and a alligator.

i would like to see fallout : the world version and you start in the sea and land on a desert island and then have to build a boat out of sand and then you can go to africa and see what it looks like in a post-apoc world and all the africans look like nihilianth from half-life.
:chew: