New Poll

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Spazmo wrote: Mmm... nope. All FEV research was at West Tek (the Glow) or Mariposa. The FEV that makes horrible mutants isn't airborne. You certainly could have mutants or ghouls in the east as they could have travelled there in the many, many years since FO1, but they wouldn't be native.
No native super mutants, yes, but I though we all agreed that ghouls are a result of radiation, not FEV?
Last edited by Ausir on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Ausir wrote:No native super mutants, yes, but I though we all agreed that ghouls are a result of radiation, not FEV?
Yes, that's pretty much agreed on, especially as MCA sez so in the Fallout Bible! LOL!

No seriously, again, the only FEV-related mutations you meet are Harold (not a ghoul), Talius (from the FotA), the Master, all super-mutants, floaters and centaurs.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Kharn wrote: Yes, that's pretty much agreed on, especially as MCA sez so in the Fallout Bible! LOL!

No seriously, again, the only FEV-related mutations you meet are Harold (not a ghoul), Talius (from the FotA), the Master, all super-mutants, floaters and centaurs.
Weren't the wanamingos also FEV-related? Anyway, the Van Buren folks made up some "Born Ghouls" as a result of an experiment, but even in VB there were only 4 of them.

As for the origins of ghouls, even though MCA eventually agreed on the radiation thing, the Reservation design doc by Puuk still says that they were created by FEV... So even not all VB designers got it right...
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Ausir wrote:Weren't the wanamingos also FEV-related? Anyway, the Van Buren folks made up some "Born Ghouls" as a result of an experiment, but even in VB there were only 4 of them.
I'm pretty sure the Wanamingos are a mystary. But yeah, I believe MCA defined them as more "ultimate weapon"-experimentation, just like the deathclaw experiments that the Enclave did. Also, you misspelled "queen" on the Wanamingo page

The Born Ghouls weren't FEV-related, from what we know, though the "green room" is a big hint of FEV being a part of the experiment. Hell, green goo is one of the major factors, but it's never revealed if it really is FEV, especially as Puuk says "not created through FEV exposure". Also, I'm pretty sure we can write off VB as non-canon.

Hell, also remember VB wrote off the MCA Bibles as non-canon.
Ausir wrote:As for the origins of ghouls, even though MCA eventually agreed on the radiation thing, the Reservation design doc by Puuk still says that they were created by FEV... So even not all VB designers got it right...
Actually, he says they're the result of radiation all through the document. He only mentions FEV by mistake once. Not exactly a capital crime
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Wanamingo's were just pop culture fillers for boring dungeons. HEY LOOK I'M LIKE RIPLEY KILLING DAR ALIENZ! There's a lot of shit like that in Fallout 2. It looks like they were thinking of adding more shit like that in FO3 ... just reading that wiki entry on the born ghouls... "belle & sebastian" ... awesome easter egg!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Killzig wrote:Wanamingo's were just pop culture fillers for boring dungeons. HEY LOOK I'M LIKE RIPLEY KILLING DAR ALIENZ! There's a lot of shit like that in Fallout 2. It looks like they were thinking of adding more shit like that in FO3 ... just reading that wiki entry on the born ghouls... "belle & sebastian" ... awesome easter egg!
C'mon, calling a born ghoul and her progenitor Belle and Sebastian is a far shite from having a random encounter full of Paladins. They had stuff like that from VB in Fallout 1 too, as long as it's subtle it doesn't matter.

Too bad the Wanamingo's are Fallout canon. Good thing they all died and shit
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Its a symptom. Just a small tid bit of what would have probably been another deluge of shit. The more I read about VB the happier I am that Black Isle is an entire continent away from BethSoft and FO3.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Really? Why, specifically? I admit the previous design doc wasn't that great, but the Reservation looked pretty good...

There's a lot I didn't like from the looks of Van Buren either, honestly, but I find it hard to compare it to a future game that we know little about on how it's going to turn out and still have that future game end up positively.

Here's hoping Bethesda does a good job, tho'
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Yeah, from what I've seen, Van Buren certainly didn't have as many or as big easter eggs as FO2.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

It's the fucking functional space rocket that does it for me, for Van Buren. No matter how many times people show me 50's pulp with Flash Gordon space rockets, I still say it's wrong for 50's POST-APOCALYPTIC pulp
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

But from what I gather, the space rockets weren't in the original MCA design/PnP campaign, were they? AFAIR they were added later.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Yes, they were Puuk's idea, I think, or Briareus...hang on, lemme check...

Well, going way back Tim Cain wanted to implement a Flash Gordon rocket to get into the Master's Lair in Fallout 1.

And here we go:
"The space station wasn´t in MCA docs for a Fallout3. It came up when he left and the story had to be simplified and reduced. Damien "Puuk" Folletto came up with that solution, that was refused by everyone else given it felt "too modern sci-fi". Then he showed the pulp covers and art from the 50`s, and reminded everyone the Sputnick effect on people at the time and everyone went along. "
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

If MCA could release his original PnP docs - now that would be even better than the final VB ones...
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Heh....

Interesting suggestion...
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Unfortunately, he doesn't have them anymore - they were left at Interplay.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Kharn wrote:Really? Why, specifically? I admit the previous design doc wasn't that great, but the Reservation looked pretty good...
Yeah, another city based on a pop culture reference (Roswell) ... MCA SKOOL OF DEZIGN!
There's a lot I didn't like from the looks of Van Buren either, honestly, but I find it hard to compare it to a future game that we know little about on how it's going to turn out and still have that future game end up positively.'
There's foresight and common sense. If you look at the steaming pile of turds they put out as design docs and figure in the budget IPLY had you wouldn't have even been able to say "it's a turd, but at least its a shiny turd! (like a bioware game)"
Here's hoping Bethesda does a good job, tho'
Got nowhere to go but up after FOBOS.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

perhaps they go into rockets and land on another planet populated by apes but then they find the statue of libertys butt and nobody can drive a rocket in the future.

I liked the train idea instead of a car idea. huh.
:chew:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Megatron wrote:perhaps they go into rockets and land on another planet populated by apes but then they find the statue of libertys butt and nobody can drive a rocket in the future.

I liked the train idea instead of a car idea. huh.
except all the rails would be totally fucked.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

It'd be a hover-train, stupid. Back to the Future 3, anyone?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

will we have holographic sharks too?