AND NOW, FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES I GIVE YOU;

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

AND NOW, FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES I GIVE YOU;

Post by Antimeasure »

DOOOM!! THEE MOVIE!

Oh-no! A monster!
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Oh no! We're doomed! DOOMED!!!
deadlus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by deadlus »

The story seems to be fucked up (DNA? wtf). In fact the whole thing seems fucked up, obviously. I would have thought it was some resident evil movie if not for the logo.

edit -

IIRC some guy from ID said that it's a movie, so not giving a crap about hell-breaking-loose and teleportation-experiment-gone-wrong details (which is what Dooms were about) is completely okay or even kewl. How dumb is that?
Last edited by deadlus on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

Well surely it will suck - resident evil the movie 1 & 2 sucked, final fantasy - sucked. tomb raider - suckiest.

and the doom manuscript seems to be written by a twelve year old monkey.

Hype time.
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Posted about this in another thread, but it doesn't matter. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but how many games have been successfully made into movies? Especially when the original plot usually sucks and has to be heavily modified. Even the Rock can't do much about it.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Doom had a 'plot' ? I cannot rightfully consider the few garbled lines of text a 'plot' in any rational sense of the word. Doom had even less of a 'plot' than Quake. While I could be eagerly anticipating this film, I won't. It doesn't wooly my mammoth at all. It will be shite, and I will continue to torment the elderly with my crossbow. Huzzah. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Well, it had those 4 novels that expanded on the plot and explained some stuff (like all those hidden rooms).
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

You READ those?!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Novels !? NOVELS !??!1

Nicolai, one could write entire volumes of prose elaborating upon all aspects of Doom - history, timelines, technology, political environs, key characters and power groups, physiology and social behaviour of the 'demons' et al, bind them together into a dramatic, captivating narrative worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize for Literature, and still not have a 'plot'. Doom is null to 'plot'. They cannot exist together. They do not exist together. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Since when did good books recieve the Novel Peace Prize for Literature? D:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

A point through hyperbole, Nicolai. That is all. :drunk:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Doom 3 had demons and you went to Hell and back. If I recall correctly, there was no mention of a human genome project, although I have to say I didn't pay too much attention to the story. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that the Hell theme would be a lot more interesting than the usual 'research gone bad' theme. After all, Hell was the only well made level in Doom 3. The rest was more or less the usual research facility scheisse. But I wonder how the US right-wing mafia would react to the pentagrams and other satanic stuff... Nah, it would probably suck anyway.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

More crap! :dance:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

If you've kept an eye on the progress, you'd know the heated debate over the script...

It seems the scriptwriter(s) has been "forced" to alter all that, to convince their financers.

It's doesn't matter a flying fuck though, because if it's like all DooM fans hope it is, then we'll see blood&gore.. hopefully insane amounts of it.
Testicular Pugilist
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It would have to have genome genes or whatever if it wanted a pg-13 rating. If it delt with Hell and shit then it would get an R.

Anyways, i hope its good so the rocker can do some more action movies or something. Like u guys said it looks an aweful lot like Resident evil.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

It looks an aweful lot like gay. But I'll watch it when it comes out on HBO. I watched Resident Evil for the first time about a month ago. It wasn't too bad...And since I've never played the RE games, I rather enjoyed it. Plus, that chick is super-hot.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I'm going to volunteer that demolishing demon ass with a chainsaw is one of the coolest things ever brought to my computer, but this movie looks sadly lacking in a number of key areas.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

It will consist of dark corridors and a penlight.

The movie ends when the penlight gets wet and stops working.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

First off:

OMFG. OLD!!!

Secondly. There was something of a drama surrounding the conception of this movie since the guy who is writing the script is basically being whipped into turning it into a fucking resident evil clone, in outer space. Yeah, that's right. Yuh hurrrd meh.

Supposedly he has responded to the ruminations about this news in many Doom fansites, one of which being doomworld.com, in an open letter to doom fans everywhere.

In it was a lot of apologetic horse shit about him being bound by the mandate of whatever company is producing the movie, to metaphorically assfuck it with a broken beer bottle and kick it into a ditch. So to speak...

Then he tried defending his own involvement in it by alleging that he would try to make it the most enjoyable experience for doom fans that he could... which is of course, a pile of flaming excrement. If he was doing that he would have holed himself up in his office at universal or wherever, renounce the idea to make the film and shoot anyone who tries to take his place.

Of course. This isn't going to happen.

In spite of all the jibes about doom and it's level design. I would certainly like to see a REAL fucking doom movie. Of course artistic licence even in the most honorable sense would have to be used, unless we wanted to sit around laughing at a nonexistent script and hilarious silicone cacodemons jubbling around some pissed off soldier with a shotgun...

I think it would be a real good mindless action movie. However, as it stands. It's going to be fucking garbage.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Janus Matchell »

*coughs* Resident Evil in Space! *coughs* Yeah this is so fucking old but now with a website for the whoring and pure murder of a series. I played DOOM 3 on PC and wasn't too terribly impressed with it. I mean for crying outloud almost the entire fucking game was shadows and bullshit enemy spawns so that the game could be, "Scary." I was neither scared nor surprised just annoyed that the flashlight was the only way to see in certain parts of the game meaning all of it. So now Universal brings us a heap of shit with The Rock and that OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone from LotR and labeled it DOOM. Right, that's so original better yet hows about they bring a Kung-Fu Chick in like Milla Jovoich call her Alice for time constraint purposes and call it Freddy vs. Jason except instead of even a spirit that fucks with dreams that kills people and a zombie that can't be killed, we gets rubber looking demons that suck ass. Shit man. I am so not impressed by what hollywood churns out and calls movies nowadays. So I go back to old movies with plots and character development. There is a margin for error that it might good but I seriously doubt it. Good day folks and enjoy the bullshit called Doom.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!