Doom

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Will you see it?

PEEK A BOOO
37%
Citizen Kane is my fav
11%
i dont have time
53%

Total votes: 19

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Doom

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Who is going to see it or if you have already what do you think?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

It seems like crap, reviews say it is crap, also the trailrs look like crap, and from my personal experienc i know trailrs are generally better made than the movies they promote.

So - maybe on DVD, nigga.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Download it. It was worth a viewing if you were interested but not the 10 bucks to get into the theater. There were alot of big differences between the movies and the games, which sucked. The movie overall felt like an "Aliens" wannabe. The Rock wasn't even the main character.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Probably one of the best films of the year, if I do say so myself.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Wolfman Walt wrote:The Rock wasn't even the main character.
This was a disappointment? I'd say that would be more of a pleasant surprise. Karl Urban is the shit, that might be the only reason I could concieve of seeing. Don't know if it would be worth it thought to see hollywood shit on a game series i've been playing for most of my life. Cutting hell out of doom is cutting the balls off the movie, don't see it being good without it.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Yeah...it was kind of stupid to say that all the demons were just mutated people. It definitely leaves room for a sequal, however, with all of the talk and no walk to the infamous "Dig Site."
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'll probably watch it in the cinema when it hits the Norwegian theatres in November or something. B)
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

If you only see one more movie for the rest of existance, make it doom.

If that sounded serious, I don't care.

The movie was everything I expected it would be, and then more. Enough so that I left feeling oddly satisfied in having spent money on it.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Aonaran wrote:This was a disappointment?
I wouldn't say "Dissapointment," more of "False Advertising." If you look at the trailers, Karl Urban is in a total of about 10 seconds. The rest of the time is just the Rock killing stuff and talking. Ofcourse, I already knew Karl Urban was the main character, and it's nice to see he's getting work outside of the Lord of the Rings so it's not really a genuine complaint from me. I also think the Rock did a good job with his role.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

So based on DAC verdicts - it's torrent time.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I just saw it and I thought it was pretty all right. A fairly solid action movie. Like Pooper said (somewhere), I really want a new 80s style action movie revival with the Rock as the new Ahnuld. The only other reasonable candidate for new action hero is Vin Diesel, and he sucks--a mere Stallone or Van Damme. The Rock, though, he could be all kinds of awesome in the right movies.

COMMANDO 2!
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

He is charismatic, i'll give him that. Still I have yet to see him evolve past an action cliche that seves little purpose outside of spouting more action movie cliches such as "if it breathes, kill it" or "game time" or "we're going in hot" (all of which were taken from Doom). I haven't seen the film but again, I don't plan to either. I think the Rock could be a pretty decent action movie star, and perhaps he achieves that in this movie. But whether or not he does is inconsequential because I really don't see myself viewing any of this type of action movie...ever. The Rock could be cool but he could never play a good antihero, which these days is about all I can bring myself to give two shits about. John McClane, Snake Plissken, John Rambo, Max Rockatansky, William Munny, Kit Carruthers, Sailer Ripley, Captain Benjamin L. Willard, Travis Bickle, Walker (From Point Blank, not the Texas Ranger) WHERE ART THOU?!
Last edited by Aonaran on Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Spoiler for Aonaran since he doesn't care anyways

The rock is far from being a hero or even an anti hero in this movie.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Who the hell cares if he's an action cliche? The greatest action movies of all time are built on cliches and cheesy lines. The more the better, goddamnit. When you try to make a deep action movie, you end up with a shitfest clusterfuck like Matrix Revolutions. I want more movies like Commando, Total Recall, Running Man and the other Arnold classics. T2 is about as profound and meaningful as action movies ought to get.

Having seen the Rock here in Doom and also in Walking Tall (which was pretty damn good as, again, a no-brainer action movie about a guy with a big club), I'd say he kicks ass.

RPG Codex
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Total Recall and T2 were really pretty deep movies (maybe even Running Man, really can't say because it's been years since i've seen it), what made them good is they didn't beat you over the head with it. And yes, fuck the Matrix sequels, those where pretentioius drivel. Also even when Arnold does an action movie cliche like the one liner it is always memorable and original and campy to the point of being both hilarious and badass. You don't see that kind of tact in the countless clones (Doom, Walking Tall etc etc etc) that have followed since.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

What? Total Recall was about as much of a profound experience as a good fart. And I don't mean that as a slight against Total Recall--if you're like me, a nice, hearty fart can be the highlight of your day. But action movies shouldn't be trying any harder than that.

As for T2, it was basically nuclear paranoia--a theme used in countless sci-fi stories since the end of the Second World War--but done very well. Nothing new or shocking there. Even the evil artificial intelligence angle wasn't so innovative. What was great about those movies was the action and the lines. The Rock is quite capable of doing both.

RPG Codex
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I guess you aren't familiar with the story that Total Recall was based on. What made it good is that it smuggled the message of the film in so sucessfully that people (you) don't even realize what it was discussing. Not that that is a bad thing, I think it is the mark of a sucessful film. Most of Verhoeven's films do that, most people don't consider Robocop to be very deep but it was a pretty philosophical movie. The same thing applies to good stand up comedians. When you watch Richard Pryor or listen to old Lenny Bruce you don't think about the overwhelming social issues they are discussing, you are too busy laughing your ass off. Same goes to Dave Chapelle (although to a lesser extent). Sure you can get your laughs from the Blue Collar Comedy tour but afterwards you aren't left with the same resonance. Thoughtless observational humor (that is completely unoriginal and rehashed) has it's place, just not on my television. Fuck, even South Park evolved from crass meaningless humor to crass socially aware (if not socially niahlistic) humor. It might just seem like a wet fart to you but thats alright, there is nothing threatening about a wet fart. If that kind of stuff came right out and said what it was saying outright it would come off as preachy and would have much less of a chance of effecting you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I just saw it and it was okay but could of been a lot better. I liked how they had focus on all characters of the squad because a lot of time they just show a picture of them once before they get killed. Even though most of the squad was shit, they tried.

The rock has potential to becomming the next action hero, but I think he needs to take his career more serious but no too serious that he starts doing dramas and shit.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Aonaran wrote:I guess you aren't familiar with the story that Total Recall was based on. What made it good is that it smuggled the message of the film in so sucessfully that people (you) don't even realize what it was discussing. Not that that is a bad thing, I think it is the mark of a sucessful film. Most of Verhoeven's films do that, most people don't consider Robocop to be very deep but it was a pretty philosophical movie. The same thing applies to good stand up comedians. When you watch Richard Pryor or listen to old Lenny Bruce you don't think about the overwhelming social issues they are discussing, you are too busy laughing your ass off. Same goes to Dave Chapelle (although to a lesser extent). Sure you can get your laughs from the Blue Collar Comedy tour but afterwards you aren't left with the same resonance. Thoughtless observational humor (that is completely unoriginal and rehashed) has it's place, just not on my television. Fuck, even South Park evolved from crass meaningless humor to crass socially aware (if not socially niahlistic) humor. It might just seem like a wet fart to you but thats alright, there is nothing threatening about a wet fart. If that kind of stuff came right out and said what it was saying outright it would come off as preachy and would have much less of a chance of effecting you.
So like evil corporations are keeping the air from mutants and are hiding a secret about an alien race that has ice inside of mars. Oh ya and that it was all a vacation in his head and stuff? About as philosophical as a black person having a job.

Most people understand the concepts behind jokes, and that is why it makes them laugh. Of course if you dont get it you start to smile and look like you do or you're an idiot who doesn't completely understand the joke but are laughing because the guy said "penis". humbug
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Apperently he's slated for a Johnny Bravo movie....though that's apperently on hiatus and likely to be cancelled.

I liked the squad and felt they were fairly interesting characters. Except Mac whose sole purpose was to get killed.