Overrated Movies

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Overrated Movies

Post by Aonaran »

Hmm, perhaps this would be a better place to carry on this conversation than the Doom thread as no one in history would be so stupid as to claim Doom is overrated.

So yes, what movies do you think are overrated and who will in turn tell you that you are full of shit? All these answers and more within this thread...

Oh and to get things started, Pi, I fucking hate Pi.

Sol Robeson: This is insanity, Max.
Maximillian Cohen: Or maybe it's genius.
Aonaran: Ho ho, both wrong! It is pretentious shit!
my vocabulary skills is above you.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Terry Gilliam's movies. Every fucking one of them.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I'm not too fond of his most recent batch (hopefully Tideland will change this) but I must say I am a fan of Gilliam. Time Bandits, Brazil, The Fisher King, Twelve Monkeys (at least up until the overexplained ending) and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas were all gold.

On the other hand I think most of what Jim Jarmusch does is total shit, exept for Dead Man which I actually like quite a bit. Maybe if I had seen something other than Ghost Dog and Coffee and Cigarettes my opinion of him would be different. Still I dig that he demands that he keep his negatives, he is the only director that does that.
Last edited by Aonaran on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Donnie Darko and Sin City, both are mediocre at best

Terry Gilliam is that Monty Python guy, right? I hate most of his films, especially those with that wench, forgot her name. She played in a film called "a fish named Mary" or something, which blew, too.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Donnie Darko is a shit meteor, and Sin City fell way short of the mark. The only thing that saved it is Mickey Rourke. Robert Rodriquez cannot dirrect for shit, he wants to be Tarintino.

Darko failed because it was populated entirely by bland archetypes bordering on stereotypes, this not excluding the lead role. Fucking awful.

Also, I believe you are thinking of A Fish Called Wanda, in which case you might be thinking of John Cleese.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Aonaran wrote:Donnie Darko is a shit meteor, and Sin City fell way short of the mark. The only thing that saved it is Mickey Rourke. Robert Rodriquez cannot dirrect for shit, he wants to be Tarintino.

Darko failed because it was populated entirely by bland archetypes bordering on stereotypes, this not excluding the lead role. Fucking awful.

Also, I believe you are thinking of A Fish Called Wanda, in which case you might be thinking of John Cleese.
Ah ok, then it's John Cleese, I always thought of him as being in the Monty Python circle, maybe he played in a film of them once? D:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Thor Kaufman wrote:Ah ok, then it's John Cleese, I always thought of him as being in the Monty Python circle, maybe he played in a film of them once? D:
Gilliam did all the animations for Flying Circus and the movies, he was also one of the writers. He might have appeared in them but he wouldn't have been much more than an extra. Also he co-directed Holy Grail and a segment of The Meaning of Life.

Edit: clarificaton
Last edited by Aonaran on Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sippyCUP
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sippyCUP »

Will Ferrel is a shit king and Anchorman is his tallest dunghill to date. Behold these recent comments to a friend.

(14:05:28) ericmm13: his humor is very narrow in scope
(14:05:35) ericmm13: he uses his voice and acts like a baby

And that is that.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Um, I didn't know Cleese did animations.
I thought that was the hidden guy who hardly
ever showed up in the skits.

The wench may be Jamie Lee Curtis.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Redeye wrote:Um, I didn't know Cleese did animations.
He didn't. Fixed the post so instead of saying "he" it now says "Gilliam."
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

The Butterfly Effect.

I mean, Ashton Kutcher? :sadblinky:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Someone once told me I should see Butterfly Effect.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I destoryed all of existance in response.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Bukkake
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Bukkake »

I was thinking about this today, actually. I concluded that just about every movie is stupid garbage. The characters, the plots, the ideas, the filming, the directing, the dialogue... all trash. Disposable.

Books are better.
MasochisticZorro
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MasochisticZorro »

No they be not , Silly.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Bukkake wrote:Books are better.
Give this sod something . . . a thing ! :drunk:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I read this topic and sort of passed it by but it struck me just now that what the shit is a movie topic doing in GD you fucking assholes? I will murder you all, and Blargh is first up on the chopping block. YOU KNOW WHY!

MOVED!
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Spazmo wrote:YOU KNOW WHY!
*laughs*

Oh, I know. Yes. But do they ?

As long as you do get to all of DAC before you stop/are stopped, I'll try not to hold it against you too much. That is to say, less posthumous vengeful behaviour on my part. Might not wake up with holes in your skull, ball bearings on your brain and a powerful magnet on your tongue. Perhaps. :drunk:
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Everything is overrated. Why won't people combine all their tastes into one? Oh right, we're individuals.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fight Club
Garden State
Eternal Sunshine (though I would still say it's enjoyable)
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

The first half of Garden State rocked, it all went downhill when Braff decided to use the Hammer of Thor as the delivery method for his symbolism directly to the audience's skull. The end half was laughable, from the scene at "Large's Arc" where he slaps his wet hair around forward it was a joke. Peter Sarsgaard made that movie.

Eternal Sunshine was alright but by far Charlie Kaufmans least interesting film. I'd take Being John Malcovich, Adaptation, Human Nature, or Confessions of a Dangerous Mind over it any day and in that order.

Still though, I thought Fight Club was great. I'm gonna have to play the "full of shit" card here and ask why you didn't like it. That was one of my defining movie going experiences was being a high school kid and watching all the buildings come down in the end of Fight Club. Very rarely does a movie culminate to something so huge so successfully.