The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Nicolai wrote:People are always going on about "The Black Company", so I suppose that I'll buy it or something.
Is it the sf novel series having as cover picture flying whales used for transport on top of an orange sky? Cuz if it is, it sucked big time, and i got trapped buying it.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Hm, no. The Black Company seems to be a 'low fantasy' series.
SteelReserve
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SteelReserve »

Ok, my library is lacking bad. Can someone give me some good titles to get? Authors too. :?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

The Holy Bible, various authors.

Then you can visit a number of forums and tell people they're going to hell.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Previously, I've been working my way through the Hellblazer TPB's I've been able to find in the area, and forced myself through Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys." It was pretty good I suppose, but seemed like one missed point to be great after another.

Right now I'm finishing up this odd anthology I was given called "Shadows Over Baker Street." It's essentially a bunch of looks at what would happen if Sherlock Holmes and his associated characters ended up having to deal with the Cthulhu Mythos.

Next up is "Fitzpatrick's War" by Theodore Judson, and I'm looking to pick up a copy of Priest's "The Prestige."
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Most stuff by Philip K. Dick.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Struggling to finish the first book of Tad Williams's Otherland. It has some fun parts, but most of it is completely unbueno.

Better pick up in a while. Or else. >:(
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Albert Camus's "L'Étranger" at work, and Haruki Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland & the End of the World" at home.

I just started Camus and I can't understand, yet, what everyone is going on about.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Nicolai wrote:Struggling to finish the first book of Tad Williams's Otherland. It has some fun parts, but most of it is completely unbueno.

That series had a good base but I felt that the whole series was pretty boring. It dragged on, and on, and on. I only read until I finished the second book even though I own the whole series. I'll eventually get back to it but not before a ton of other books I own get read.

Joe Haldeman's Mindbridge is an entertaining book, albeit, a little short.

Sauron, everyone knows that the books that get the most attention by the general public are fucking horrible.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah I know, but I saw it in a bookstore 2 weeks ago, it's less than 200 pages and it was 3,95$ so I thought I'd try it out. And it's not my main reading, mind you, I only read it at work during my free times, which is much less than at home. Which is why it might be leaving me indifferent, too : I'm not putting much effort into it, and reading 10 pages at a time kind of kills the setting.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:
Nicolai wrote:Struggling to finish the first book of Tad Williams's Otherland. It has some fun parts, but most of it is completely unbueno.

That series had a good base but I felt that the whole series was pretty boring. It dragged on, and on, and on. I only read until I finished the second book even though I own the whole series.

Yeah, whilst the premise was fairly interesting and all, the execution was rather poor and lackluster. Some of the characters were quite interesting, but Williams did not seem to be capable of penning an interesting story featuring the aforesaid characters. :aiee:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Little update on Camus's L'Étranger. It's pretty good, actually. You can't really see where he's going in the beginning, but it quickly becomes interesting.

I strongly recommend it, but don't read any resume beforehand. It's surprising.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Nicolai wrote:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:

That series had a good base but I felt that the whole series was pretty boring. It dragged on, and on, and on. I only read until I finished the second book even though I own the whole series.

Yeah, whilst the premise was fairly interesting and all, the execution was rather poor and lackluster. Some of the characters were quite interesting, but Williams did not seem to be capable of penning an interesting story featuring the aforesaid characters. :aiee:
I usually like Tad Williams as a writer but I think he just dropped the bomb with that series. Awesome idea, horrible carry out.
Read his "The War of the Flowers". Its a damn good book.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm reading Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas D:

This book is an impossibility; it's even better than the goddamn movie D:
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

The best thing is you can read it over and over and it's still fun. The Campaign Trail '72 is also worth your time if American politics aren't a total turn off for you.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I think that once I'm finished with the book, I'll be able to say I've read it not once but twice, since I already stop like 10 times a page to reread all the funny stuff.

"As your attorney I advise you to drive at top speed and it'll be a Goddamn miracle if we get there before you turn into some kind of fucking wild animal"
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:I usually like Tad Williams as a writer but I think he just dropped the bomb with that series. Awesome idea, horrible carry out. Read his "The War of the Flowers". Its a damn good book.
Hm, since my copy of the fifth book of the The Black Company series, Shadow Games, is taking so long to arrive for some strange and utterly incomprehensible reason, I've started reading The City of Golden Shadow again. While the narrative itself is still very uneven, the pace seems to be somewhat more comfortable now that I've reached the middle of the novel. Perhaps I'll actually manage to finish it once and for all. Hmm..

Anyway, I've read some reviews of 'The War of the Flowers', and I have to admit that it sounds quite interesting. I'll have to pick it up one day.
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

Speaking of The Black Company, I've got the second book in the series but not the first. Would I be missing out on a lot if I started with the second?
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Yeah. D: