The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

VasikkA wrote:
Redeye wrote:
vx trauma wrote: we caress the thought of grinding our veins and aortas into a smoothie of love. :feelings_online:
It was a dark and stormy night...
Redeye is getting out of control! :aiee:
The Captain and the Mate were in the cabin...
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Blargh wrote:It is a good thing that I know what to expect from you, Mandy, or your brazen display of a window to a wafer thin world view would in all probability mildly distress me. Bemoan the ego. Go on. The projection of personal sentiment into and over facts of life. Life and concrete. Which would not be a good thing, for a moment or five. Perhaps. :drunk:
Oh, come on Blargh. Just admit you like me.
Maybe we could go to the movies sometime?
I'll buy the popcorn.

And so I don't throw the thread off topic, I finished The Menace From Earth by Heinlein not too long ago. Not a bad collection of short stories.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

The Platunum Menace.

Fat guys dropping down a transport tube on the moon with one hand on the safety strap, a baby under one arm, reading a folded over newspaper clutched in the hand of the arm that is holding the baby.

Then the cunt decided the tube wasn't so scary.

Close?

I read it 15 yrs ago, I think.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

It's just as well, Mandy. While I have long identified your limitations for what they are : the best, a slight part of me laments for what could and never was. Yes, best. Any rot free response, and I'd probably die of not at all insignificant shock. O, the consistency ! The chief defining characteristic of the DAC organism.

Well done.

CARRY ON. :drunk:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Blargh wrote:It's just as well, Mandy. While I have long identified your limitations for what they are : the best, a slight part of me laments for what could and never was. Yes, best. Any rot free response, and I'd probably die of not at all insignificant shock. O, the consistency ! The chief defining characteristic of the DAC organism.

Well done.

CARRY ON. :drunk:
I love you too. :hug:
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I just finished the Da Vinci Code and meh D:
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Serves you right, you fucking idiot.
Hello New Jersey
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

That's not just a dessert !

That's like bringing a child into this world and not feeling absolutely wretched.

Travesty. :drunk:
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

After pondering on the matter for a rather considerable amount of time, I have come to several conclusions of which I shall now heretofore reveal:
1) I hate Susan
2) I also think he is infinitely amusing
3) From Hell is the best comic book ever made.
4) shut up
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

robert harris : fatherland. opinions? recommendations of 'similar' books or novels?
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I got Zodiac, Dr. Bloodmoney, and Armor a couple of weeks ago. I started Zodiac first and got to like page 15 and now everytime I read it when I i'm in bed I fall asleep before getting past 1 page. I like the neal stephensens writing style but the story failed to catch me from the start and I never really liked environmentals much in the real world. Should I continue trying to read more or should I try one of the other two books?>
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Read Armor first, eh. :salute:

Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Redeye wrote:
VasikkA wrote:
Redeye wrote: It was a dark and stormy night...
Redeye is getting out of control! :aiee:
The Captain said to the mate: "Mate, tell me a story". And so the Mate began...
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Redeye wrote:
Redeye wrote:
VasikkA wrote: Redeye is getting out of control! :aiee:
The Captain said to the mate: "Mate, tell me a story". And so the Mate began...
The Captain said to the mate : 'Mate, I'm awfully sorry for interrupting you, I know that you hate it so, as I am sorry for this, yet it is something I must share.'

The Captain took in a ragged breath, as trademarked anger for something unspoken yet understood flashed to the eyes of the Mate. Raising his hands as a Mime might beg forgiveness, The Captain continued, his eyes troubled.

'I've just realised that you've told me all the many and varied tales from your memory, as prodigious as it is, these last few decades. This alone disturbs me. Worse, I've just realised that we must be mad, senile or even foully bewitched, to have noticed and yet persisted. I've just realised that I will suppress this most destructive of insights as you will forget it, as it has been neglected many times past, too. I cannot fault you, memory is a mercurial thing and that of such details has never been amongst your strengths. Strange. I've just realised that the time for weakness and inaction is long, long past. I've just realised that I owe you an apology.'

And so, with an almost imperceptible hesitation, The Captain took the Mate by the neck with his sun weathered hands, and, wailing, smashed him forcefully and by the head into the deck, again, and again, and again, until the Mate was left most unrecognisable. And then, The Captain, his voice of grit and dust momentarily stolen, glared through tear mired eyes toward the bloodied remnants of the Mate and as he took up his sidearm for the last time, remembered . . .

Africa. :drunk:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

oi, I recently began reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I dare say that I am somewhat amazed.
It is one of the most interesting books Ive read in quite a while, and yet I read Catch22 prior to it.
The style of writing is, indeed, rather fullfilling and I do find the 19th century setting to my liking.
All in all, do read it.
"Oh!" said Lord Wellington and then, addressing Strange, he said, "You are the magician." The faintest note of inquire pervaded his remark.
"yes." Said Strange.
"Mr. Norrell?"
"Ah, no. Mr Norrell is in England. I am Mr Strange."
Lord Wellington looked blank.
"The other magician," explained Strange.
"I see," said Lord Wellington.
The officer called Dalziel stared at Strange with an expression of suprize,
as if he thought that once Lord Wellington had told Strange who he was, it
was rather ill-bred of him to insist on being someone else.
Last edited by Mismatch on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

Fatherland was actually damn good. Even more shocking, the HBO mini-thing didn't completely suck either. Along similar lines: Gorky Park. Not alt/hist per se but a really good murder-mystery intrigue story. The JFK/Cuban Missile Crisis Alt Hist book, Armageddon Day or whatever, was mediocre at best.

I read DaVinci Code back when it was all the rage with fellow East Coast Amtrack commuters. An 80% discount, and herd mentality. It sucked, as does most fiction.

Oh yeah and fuck Henry Turtledove, as he is both a shitty author and a pederast.

Speaking of sodomy, any masochistic soul out there actually read the new Brian Anderson/Kevin J. Herbert garbage, in which they continue their seven year mission to ruin the best scifi book series of all time?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

box wrote: Speaking of sodomy, any masochistic soul out there actually read the new Brian Anderson/Kevin J. Herbert garbage, in which they continue their seven year mission to ruin the best scifi book series of all time?
Unfortunately, yes. One goes in not expecting them to fill the shoes of FH, and really all they have to do is connect the dots. And Dune-lite is better than no Dune at all, right? The last book is a total fucking bomb, this thing was not edited in the least bit and really should never have been released at all. Seriously I don't think I've ever groaned out loud and rolled my eyes reading a book before. Bad bad bad. It's got transformers, worm jousting and the most cliched one-dimensional fucking dialogue I've seen since a silver age comic book. It's the kind of shit that would insult the intelligence of a pro-wrestling fan.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

johnnygothisgun wrote:I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
Yes! I've read the 3 books of the serie, and they were all equally great. Brilliant books.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Book's that are formally GROWN to my hands:

Wildlife of Greater Brisbane

and

Wild Plants of Greater Brisbane

'coz i like to hang out in the nature... BIATCH!

...that tempts me to make a short clip in the bushes with me performing DUCK AND COVER ...in the bushes...

:D