Call of Cthulhu

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Call of Cthulhu

Post by Redeye »

Has anybody played it?

The computer game from Bethsoft, not the tabletop.

Guess what? No dialogue trees.
No alternate paths.
No deduction/thinking.

Completely linear.

"Designer Cheating" abounds.

No, you can't pick up an enemies' gun.

Great atmosphere, very emotionally engaging.

They fucked it up completely by making it a repetitive platformer.

Can't change to 3rd person.

No creative uses of physics. Any obstacle/etc. that you would have to move is pointed out for you.. Everything else is bolted down.

Why did they have to fuck it up?

No putting things together on my own.

Intelligence has virtually no use. You simply memorize movement sequences. Run this way, climb that ladder,etc.

I also suspect the ol' "telepathic AI" designer-cheat is at work here.

If I were to become a terrorist, there would be no beret, no goatee, no manifesto, no demands.

I would just kill tards.

The intentional kind, not the ones with a medical excuse.

This game seems to be designed as some kind of wierd decoy/bait-and-switch.

Was compromised for tard appeal.

fucking tards

things i like are ruined for tardmarket appeal

die tards die
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Does it take place in the 20s? I was going to pick it up initially, but I learned there wouldn't be any dialogue trees or looking for clues in libraries, and was turned off.

Are the insanity effects any good at least? A manic gameplay experience sounds kinda appealing (if done right).
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

The only aspect I found even mildly amusing was the potential for the avatar to self terminate when exposed to suitable levels of stress. Other than that, bland, forgettable and a pale, tepid shadow when compared with the often delightful source. :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I've yet to actually see a copy of it available for PC, oddly enough. Just X-Box 360 or whatever.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

atoga wrote:Does it take place in the 20s? I was going to pick it up initially, but I learned there wouldn't be any dialogue trees or looking for clues in libraries, and was turned off.

Are the insanity effects any good at least? A manic gameplay experience sounds kinda appealing (if done right).
1922, and it looks good.

Insanity effects are excellent.

The manic gameplay is frustrating due to the memorization/repetition thing.
Especially if you are having insanity effects during a chase scene.

I'm looking for an invulnerabilty code or hack that I can use vs. the designer cheating.
(I'll turn it off afterwards.)
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I've yet to actually see a copy of it available for PC, oddly enough. Just X-Box 360 or whatever.

Got mine used for PC.

20 bucks... worth 10.

Maybe I'm just being cranky.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Soooooo...

does anyone know of an invulnerability hack for COC?

Google just links to template-pages for "COC cheats", or to listings of how to legitimately advance in order to get some easter eggs/extra content.

Did they really make COC so fucking rigid?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Found the shit i needed at actiontrip.

Postcount now +4!

Billy Idol wrote a song about this...
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Do you play the tabletop? I'm actually looking for a decent module for it right now. Horror on the Orient Express sounds pretty dope.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

The game was pretty cool until you had to kill enemies, then it just got clunky and boring. The plot and atmosphere built up in the first third/half/whatever was really good i thought.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I have tabletop but never played it. Just pointless attempts to set up the logistics.

A common story.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

I played it, it's okay, especially in the beginning. The final escape sequence is VERY HARD >:(
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

The part where you wake up in the hotel (the chase scene) was the best part of the game. The game has its good & bad points but it is a first person survival horror and it does a good job of that.

If you were expecting any RPG elements though you'll be sorely disappointed.

(Hope nobody minds me bringing an old topic back up)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

One of the worst nightmares I ever had, was when I was being chased by Cthulu-beasts. It was truly horrifying, and made me withdrawn and jumpy for the next couple of days.

The end of the dream came when I managed to escape in an elevator, turned around and saw Todd Howard.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

Splatterpope wrote:Todd Howard
Beware the cult of Hastur, BEWARE
:drunk: :dance: :drunk:

EDIT:I seem to remember a module with a connection between the Seven Arrows and Hastur, anyone remember this one?
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
Aegeri
Regular
Regular

Post by Aegeri »

atoga wrote:Do you play the tabletop? I'm actually looking for a decent module for it right now. Horror on the Orient Express sounds pretty dope.
Actually it's not just 'pretty dope' it's effectively the definitive example of an excellent Call of Cthulhu module. It's very well set up and well written. There is another one as well that is terrific, which is about the ghouls under New York city and two competing groups of them. It's also super awesome.

Call of Cthulhu is my most beloved tabletop RPG system by far.
I have returned from my dark slumber....
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

i think i've played that ghouls one.

i keep hearing about horror on the orient express but it's impossible to find at any local game stores. perhaps i will ebay it. :drunk:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

totally a pnp module.

there are no good cthulhu adaptations for pc, period. perhaps that's a good thing. one of the pleasures of call of cthulhu is playing it with your buddies, face-to-face. the game is written with the logistics of tabletop play in mind, since the rules are simple and the most is made of intensifying the atmosphere.

i always used to gm my group (because i'm the most twisted, obviously) and i enjoyed the genuine feeling of alternately puzzling and scaring the shit out of my friends. something computer games do not offer.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'm getting kinda interested in the PnP game, what edition should I look to buy for further investigation?