Call of Cthulhu

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

old-school chaosium version for teh win, if you can find it. (ie., not the d20 version)
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

yeah, fuck D20
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

got the chaosium 4th edition from '89. werked well everytime. it's gm that matters the most imo.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
negullah
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by negullah »

Mr. Teatime wrote:The game was pretty cool until you had to kill enemies, then it just got clunky and boring. The plot and atmosphere built up in the first third/half/whatever was really good i thought.
I have to agree with you on that. The game was really in Lovecraft's style until about 2/3's through. The insanity effect and the "you're bleeding and so the normal thing to happen is you become colorblind" was nice.

Speaking of combat, the iron sights were a nice touch. So was the healing system...
Underlying works of pagan dreams
Afloat a sea of succumbed fish.
All cannot be what is seems
Even though it's as you wish.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Upload the .pdfs please, negro.
Mutant Dojo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mutant Dojo »

Redeye wrote:
Got mine used for PC.

20 bucks... worth 10.

Maybe I'm just being cranky.
Well, I can get a copy to the Gaybox for ten so wanna know if it worth it. I kinda understand it's not a role-play neither a good adventuer but as a action game with nice story, is it it? Or should I JUST SAY NO!
Feel kinda suckie for a good action-horror but as I said, need a good story
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

downloaded it this afternoon out of boredom and now it seems it won't run? keep getting wacky graphics errors when i try to start it up even after troubleshooting extensively

i went to the official website and looked at the screenshots for a while. they looked somewhat shit and the game seems to play up the whole 'omg wield alien technlogies of yawgmoth in ur own handz' thing so i can say that this game is shit and not lovecraftian at all

now listening to bong-ra remixes of venetian snares :rock: :roll:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
negullah
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by negullah »

atoga wrote:the game seems to play up the whole 'omg wield alien technlogies of yawgmoth in ur own handz' thing so i can say that this game is shit and not lovecraftian at all
bullshit. play the game and then throw your two cents.
Underlying works of pagan dreams
Afloat a sea of succumbed fish.
All cannot be what is seems
Even though it's as you wish.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

keep trying atoga, there's one level in this game (we're still talking about CoC:DCotE, aight?) you'll cherish as one of those precious gaming experience episodes :yes:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

PiP wrote:keep trying atoga, there's one level in this game (we're still talking about CoC:DCotE, aight?) you'll cherish as one of those precious gaming experience episodes :yes:
what level do you mean? got about halfway (?) through but i find it pretty hard and i'm not really into it, so i've stopped playing

the story is also pretty hackneyed, especially at the beginning - i haven't read shadow over innsmuth but all all the events as presented in the game feel kind of forced. some areas are guarded by police lines and then, conveniently 10 minutes later when the player needs to backtrack through through them, the police lines are mysteriously gone? a lot of unexplained questions in my mind and silly plot devices in place just for the sake of keeping things linear.

the atmosphere could also be less obviously evil. in my opinion the best cthulhu stories are those which present a fairly 'normal' environment (to lull the protagonist into a sense of security or whatever) with evil lurking far below the surface. but as soon as you arrive in innsmuth pretty much all the townspeople seem fucked-up, uniformly standoffish and evil, entirely one-dimensional. it wasn't surprising in the least when they came after me and started killing me. terribly shitty (and rushed-feeling) buildup to da main action.

in terms of visuals the atmosphere is pretty great though, and the sanity effects are pretty intense and nice to look at if a little over the top (dizzying vertigo from being three stories off the ground? nigga please >:( ) the lighting effects are particularly dope.

if someone has an argument for why this game is good, i'd like to hear it
PiP

Post by PiP »

the level is the hotel escape

I kinda liked the evil atmosphere tho.
And the dizziness is not just from 3-storey height but from those monstaz below. Or you get it also when nothing scary is about?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

the hotel escape was pretty fun, ya. but it was pretty hard, from the sanity effects i could barely tell what was going on which sorta got in the way of me enjoying the thrill of it or whatever. and i died a lot :(

and, i got vertigo effects even when nothing scary was about. (beginning of the game at the poorhouse)