The nesssesity of the prequel and Prequel ideas.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Were ghouls the first vault dwellers that came out and got a dose of radiation or were they people who somehow survived the devastation?
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

This is not realistic. I can understand the point that it is artistic privalige, but this is 50's esque science. I thought it was recognized that FEV and almost all advanced scince in all FO's was a mistake
I dont care what anyone says- there would have been survivors. Call it chaos theroy, there would have been people around 3 years after the war.
What about the Vaults where you lacked many nessicary human needs? Like the male only vault. Also, wouldnt there be some sort of basic military vault- in my view it is much more likely that the civilian vaults in FO- Lost Hills and Mariposa are examples of underground vault like military installations.
No one would take the time to truly nuke MC- it WOULD be nuked, but not like any part of the U.S. If not MC, maybe a smaller town that went into the ruins of MC. I think a post apocalyptic MC would be great, it being in a sorry state already.
Replicant as in a sort of Metropolis machine, not a Replicant in Blade Runner. That would ruin it. I really thoiught the machines in FOT and Fo rpgs where poorly done. I wanted something like metropolis and a little more 20's that 50's.
As I mentioned before, I think that a pre fo could have more post-apoc atmosphere, not as much a feeling that the world has gotten over it but instead o-my-god-what-happned?
Also, I beg you pyro, your avatar almost made me vomit. Change it back to the Chins. That was hilarious.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

VasikkA wrote:Were ghouls the first vault dwellers that came out and got a dose of radiation or were they people who somehow survived the devastation?
A combination I think. Necropolis was definatley from the Bakersfield vault (8 or 10?), while some I think (Harlod who is arguably a mutant) on the other hand never layed foot in a vault.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

VasikkA wrote:Were ghouls the first vault dwellers that came out and got a dose of radiation or were they people who somehow survived the devastation?
A combination I think. Necropolis was definatley from the Bakersfield vault (8 or 10?), while some I think (Harlod who is arguably a mutant) on the other hand never layed foot in a vault.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

This thread has made me think about how much black isle screwed up the posibility of making a 3rd Fallout with the dark postapocolyptic atmosphere. Fallout 2 had advanced to far technology wise to make a third fallout with a true postapocolyptic feel to it. Also the world seemed to rebuilt and had stable governments therfore getting rid of what was left of the origional Fallout's postapocolyptic feel. It has been said by many that The game should take place after Fallout 2 but somthing should knock the world back into the stonage. Good solution for making the tec levle drop and the world seem more unstable but the problem with this is that it Gets rid of the feeling of a world reduced to cinders by nuclear war.
So the only other posibility to get back that feeling of the origional would be to make a prequal. Thare a r many problems with this like how to keep it from treading on the story of the origional; the mutants would not exist or would not pose a threat as of yet. many towns would not exist as most survivors came from the vaults. this is my opinion on the whole subject of prequals and sequals to the fallouts. I think too much damage was done by Fallout 2 to get an experience like we had with the origional from fallout 3. I will probably buy number 3 if it comes out hoping I am wrong but that is a slim chance especialy if made by black isle.
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

I agree with you the shrike , but just a question i saw some guy saying that all people came from the vaults , i dont agree with that , well at least
a few people survived and they weren´t in vaults just for example the
ghost farm near modoc , their leader say they didn´t came from a vault ...
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

The modoc ghost farmers, or skags, were from a vault of a sort. They lived in an underground shelter which protected the people from the radiation.

I do not believe fallout 2 ended the chances of a continuing series. there is plenty of scope left. fallout 2 wasnt urbanised and there was a lot of tension between each habbitat. NCR didnt like VC, VC didnt like BH or NCR or Reno, Reno was at war with itself and had a shakey alliance with NCR. arroyo and klamath were too small and underdeveloped. no one liked tribals because they're backwards. the den was still a haven of scum and criminals even after you left. fallout 3 may bring back a few of these settlements but it doesnt have to. fallout 2 had new areas to fallout 1 discarding many ofthe original locations like the hub, glow and others.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fallout 2 lacked some of the dark atmosphere. I don't want FO3 to exaggerate the 50's retro-hitech. That means no hitech underground bases, only one power armor in the entire game(from BOS). In fact, I think BOS should be the only group in the wastelands with access to hitech thingies and a very limited role in the game. I always enjoy games with a very dark, cruel world. I loved PS:T because of it's relaxed approach on the subject of death and the wonderful dark humour and an unique dark and bizarre world. That kind of element should be in FO3 too combined with the sunny desert.

I don't think however that energy weapons/power armors/superfast computers should be dropped out of the game. They should just have a very limited role, because they ARE a part of fallout universe in my opinion.
Last edited by VasikkA on Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

exactly. there was not much technology available to the average citizen in fo2 just firearms and basic agricultural tech. BoS and the Vaults are the only places where tech should be available.
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

yeah in fallout 3 technology shoud be a lot scarce , 2 power armors maximum no new super power armor XV012300 , maybe a new design
or power armors that you could adapt , puting some horns on the helmet
chains spikes and other stuff that would be cool .
Main point the game should be made in a way that if found a magnum pistol it would be your best gun for a awhile , not like in fallout 2 , i remember one game i played that my first gun was a spear , than my second a M-60 ...
This shouldn´t be possible and other things like getting a power armor right from the start , that is possible in f2 , maybe putting level requirements on armor and weapons could do the trick , what do guys think ?
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

level requirements are kinda getting away from the whole pseudo-realistic environment and the free-form character base. its only armour, i mean what do you need to know about it? how to put it on, that's about all. weapons proficientcy is based on your skill.

larger weapons are less effective at low skill levels and get more effective as your skill rises. just like it would in the real world.

level requirements are against the fallout ethos.

if you dont want to get power armour at the begining or whatever just simply dont go to places where its available at the start. customisation of the armour would be interesting to a point but would serve little practical purpose. having different sets of armour would be good though. for example: leather armour jacket but no armour on the legs making you more vulnerable to aimed shots at the legs. then you can buy a different form of armour for your legs like combat armour torso and leather armour leggings. that's how i believe armour should go. helmets, gloves, boots, pants and torso sets. weapons should maybe be of different qualities, like a rusty m16 wouldn't be as effective as a shiney well-kept one. repairs should be able to be done to weapons as well as more additions. for example the low light scope on the fnfal was a good touch but there should be more for weapons like expanded mags for most weapons, tripods to aid prone firing laser targets, scopes etc. i think you should also be able to canabalise 2 or more weapons of lower quality to make one good quality weapon if you have the right skill or get them to a good gun smith (like the brotherhood :) ).

remember, weapon customization was available in fallout 2 to a limited extent.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I think ti would be more funny if you found 20 suits of power armour (you cant carry them all) or mabye have a suit of power armour mark 2 with a tree growing out of it or something.

I wouldn't mind if there were a thousand suits of power armour, so long as they had powerful enough weapons to punch a hole through it.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

PA should be limited. the brotherhood (the primary means of getting PA in both fallouts) were very very protective of their powered suits. so, if someone was downed in combat it's likely they would retrieve the body/armour so you wouldn't find it just laying around the place. you should have to earn your armour, like in fo1 and fo2. the glow in fo1 and getting the motivater was your entitlement to use PA. in Fo2 it was invading the Enclave and stealing plans. both were a test of your skills and this is how it should be. PA shouldn't be too advanced in fallout 3. new, more powerful weapons shouldn't really be available. who's going to make them? unless you have another government enemy there isnt going to be the capability to create new weapons. i think using existing real-world weapons like the browning M2 or experimental weapons like the HK G11 would be more appropriate.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

The Shrike wrote:This thread has made me think about how much black isle screwed up the posibility of making a 3rd Fallout with the dark postapocolyptic atmosphere. Fallout 2 had advanced to far technology wise to make a third fallout with a true postapocolyptic feel to it. Also the world seemed to rebuilt and had stable governments therfore getting rid of what was left of the origional Fallout's postapocolyptic feel. It has been said by many that The game should take place after Fallout 2 but somthing should knock the world back into the stonage. Good solution for making the tec levle drop and the world seem more unstable but the problem with this is that it Gets rid of the feeling of a world reduced to cinders by nuclear war.
So the only other posibility to get back that feeling of the origional would be to make a prequal. Thare a r many problems with this like how to keep it from treading on the story of the origional; the mutants would not exist or would not pose a threat as of yet. many towns would not exist as most survivors came from the vaults. this is my opinion on the whole subject of prequals and sequals to the fallouts. I think too much damage was done by Fallout 2 to get an experience like we had with the origional from fallout 3. I will probably buy number 3 if it comes out hoping I am wrong but that is a slim chance especialy if made by black isle.
Amen brother! Praise the lord!
Another soul saved!
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shards »

Nirvana - you don't need lvl requirements... you need good game design! You could get PA in F2 because of a design flaw, and THAT is what should be fixed.

Anyway, I think the prequel idea isn't good, for many reason, most of them already stated. F3 should encompass most of the US, and then the whole "Fallout 2 didn't have a dark atmosphere and was too urbanized, and so F3 will suck" notion won't matter one whit.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Shards wrote:Nirvana - you don't need lvl requirements... you need good game design! You could get PA in F2 because of a design flaw, and THAT is what should be fixed.

Anyway, I think the prequel idea isn't good, for many reason, most of them already stated. F3 should encompass most of the US, and then the whole "Fallout 2 didn't have a dark atmosphere and was too urbanized, and so F3 will suck" notion won't matter one whit.
One whit?
Where you high the entire time you where playing FO2, man?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Nah, I don't like level requirements. It's too... DnD. Restrictions ruin the game experience a bit, they are too obvious in DnD games. And should be done in another way. :wink:
Using a gun should be entirely skill based. Why change the Special system in Fallout, it works so well? I just hope there isn't gonna be too many hitech thingies in FO3 that'd ruin the atmosphere, the world was bombed back to the stoneage. Well, almost.

And if a new fallout game will be a prequel, it shouldn't be called Fallout 3 then.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Fallout episode 1:Attack of the stones

You don't need level requirements, as by the time you get to the glow/military base or where-ever your already about level 20. If you choose to just go directly down straight away and get all the best guns, you can't blame the game for not adding a perimetre fence that you can only pass at level 30 or whatever.

A prequel would be stupid. If you want a sequel just have some kind of disaster, or have the hi-tech towns like vault city except they dont let you in at all.
DeepOmega
Regular
Regular

I throws in my 2 cents...

Post by DeepOmega »

The prequel is the only way to go. Firstly: FO2 has forced the series into civilization again. While it wasn't that bad (NCR and so forth didn't bother me that much) any Fallout in the future will have to be too damn advanced. With BoS still having access to tech (and repairing and manufacturing of it all - INCLUDING power cells) eventually society will be rebuilt. And we don't want that, now do we?

Prequel idea, then: First, one must keep Vault 13 and the Vault Dweller theme going. Naturally, you must end up as the grandfather of the Vault Dweller. Hell, perhaps your actions are what lead to the Vault Dweller being selected... Game should begin as the bombs fall. You're an average person, registered to go to Vault 13, but you're caught off-guard preparing to go to the vault as the bombs fall. Since you were supposed to be in Vault 13, your goal is to get into the vault. The character can still have a vault suit (hellz yeah) and an anti-radiation suit. Radiation can be a hella lot worse, too, which'd be a nice change of pace (you had to get completely toasted, Glow-style, for it to matter in the first Fallouts). Naturally, there must be a time-limit (as with both of the first ones). This can be in the form of your radiation suit not having enough power (perhaps only 150 days worth). Thus, you must get to Vault 13 to live. After 150 days, you die muthafucka. Naturally, you'll be nowhere near the Vault, and since you were going to take a VaultTec transport, you don't even know where it is (the location would be secret, after all, to thwart spies). So first you'll have to find the Vault. Of course, they won't let you in immediately... Perhaps they'll simply recharge you, and give you a quest (not sure what they'd want). And it can continue from there... I for one would like to see the before-and-after of the massive cities. It'd really crank up the desolation-o-meter.

Anyways, that's my opinions on the matter. Peace and much love...
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Sounds good to me :)

And all the people aroudn you can be crazy or have serious radiation problems, and as you go further north there are huge critters (radiation)

The big bad enemy could be vault-tec mebbe?
:chew: