Beth artist thinks Fallout is BORING

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

BRILLANT!
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I can't believe some Fallout 3 developers haven't bothered playing the first two Fallouts over and over again. I thought that was a prerequisite when you're making a sequel, even though you're an artist. Perhaps we'll see idiocies like this in Fallout 3, after all.

As for the age old argument of turn-based being slow... eh, you're probably just as likely to spend as much time in combat with a real time system. Only difference being that you're going to kill 10x the amount of critters. I can't get the comparison with Diablo though, unless he assumes Diablo is considered as 'standard CRPG combat'. Try again.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

someone needs to put a flaming plastic bag full of brahmin shit mixed with JET FUEL! on his front porch.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Arjuna
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Arjuna »

I think he meant that the combat system is still essentially clicking your opponent to death like diablo. The mechanics of it anyway.
However thats pretty much all you can do with a crpg. Anyway since theres nothing we can do lets everybody just chill.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

VasikkA wrote:I can't believe some Fallout 3 developers haven't bothered playing the first two Fallouts over and over again. I thought that was a prerequisite when you're making a sequel, even though you're an artist. Perhaps we'll see idiocies like this in Fallout 3, after all.

As for the age old argument of turn-based being slow... eh, you're probably just as likely to spend as much time in combat with a real time system. Only difference being that you're going to kill 10x the amount of critters. I can't get the comparison with Diablo though, unless he assumes Diablo is considered as 'standard CRPG combat'. Try again.

That woulda sucked like Beths FO3 will suck.

BTW, this def is a fucking retard
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Arjuna wrote:I think he meant that the combat system is still essentially clicking your opponent to death like diablo.
Technically, that's how Oblivion worked as well.
Last edited by Wolfman Walt on Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

The gasbot is cute. :sadblinky:
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

I don't think he meant it was boring pr. se. It was just slower than say Diablo or Baldur's gate or Fallout or Arcanum's combat. If you haven't played FO before, it does take some time getting used to playing the tb system that's in the Fallout games.
And to know how to use your action points wisely.

It also just sounded like he only played the first area of the game or so. But since the dev. is an artist, he could only have been instructed to play the first area of FO1, just to get the hang of the look in the game and so on and so forth.

PS:Yes, I like the Gasbot as well :)
please support http://www.gamerdad.com - the
voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

support democracry - please visit
http://www.whydemocracy.net/home
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

So why are they whinging about Fallout being slow?
I mean, hey! Let's make Sonic the Hedgehog go turn based! Ooooh! It's gonna suck? Sorry why? Oh yeah. I forgot. BECAUSE IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE TURN BASED!

Same way as Fallout (and sequels) are/were never meant to be real time.

We need some militant internet taskforce. They'll take care of annoying gamecompanies, their developers and locked up tasks. D;
Last edited by Dreadnought on Wed May 02, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sah
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sah »

glittering gems of hatred itt

He also said he liked it for the most part:
However, I have enjoyed what I have played for the most part. I like the setting and dialogue and I like how your skills affect you ability to communicate with people a lot.
And that he didn't like everything in Oblivion:
I could, along with the 60 or so others immediately around me, offer a laundry list of things I wish were different about the game, but I know we are proud of it as a whole.
Why does the glass always have to be half-full?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

aries100 wrote:But since the dev. is an artist, he could only have been instructed to play the first area of FO1, just to get the hang of the look in the game and so on and so forth.
That would seem as a pretty careless and negligent attitude to your work. If you are to develop a previously unknown franchise, I'd assume you at least do a thorough background research - for inspiration if not else.

I hope he simply misspoke.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

MRhappy wrote:It seems strange that he hasnt played much fallout, considering he's on the team. Even as an artist, there is a lot to be learned from fallouts art style. Also, its seems likely that he didnt use the combat speed metre :(
I agree and put that on my blog, but still he's just trying to learn to communicate with us, give him time, he's still young, and tries to be a bit unbiased about Oblivion, and I prefer someone like him that talks straight, than the usual double talk and bullshit I have to listen on gaming press releases, god how I hate press releases...
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I was recently tooling around in Morrowind- in virtual god mode. Just wandering/etc.

I have a suspicion that FO3 will have a lot of Dwemer type stuff. In 50's pastels, with spark plugs and vacc. tubes, etc.

And the Gasbot wouldn't be totally out of place. I don't think it was really going to be in Van Buren, but if the 50's really did last to 2077 and stuff like Mr. Handy was around, maybe they would have Gasbots. Just reprogram them post-war as enforcers.

DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

uh... i feel like Pokemon - Catch `em all right now.

here is (probably) another Fallout 3 dev, i dont know if somebody has seen it yet... here´s the link to his profile on Bethforums

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ser=366626

His first post was made in the Fallout 3 Forum, its a hint, i think.

He has worked on following

http://random.imdb.com/name/nm2254412/

... look for yourselve, dont quote me boy, cause i aint said shit :)

edit: okay, now its official, it stands on his website

http://www.doctorspooky.com/
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

What is out of place? Beth making Fallout 3 that's what.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

We should make a family tree out from Bethesda, and add under their name what they think about Fallout. That should putt things in perspective.

PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Its irrelvent tho, because Pete's allready said theyre not gona alter from what they do well.

In other words itll be named fallout, but it wont be fallout.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Yeah, but I wanna know if they are making unreal tournament or Worms. Worms kicked ass :evil_laugh:

Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Incase it hasn't been mentioned - the Matrix online was HORRIBLE and any developer that was involved needs to be put in the rack and then shot.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

The gasbot idea is fine, in that you grab anything that could contain a mechanical body for a robot.

I don't agree on it's limbs though..
Testicular Pugilist