Falout makes No. 7 for best intro...

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
maglalosus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Falout makes No. 7 for best intro...

Post by maglalosus »

Fallout has made number 7 on the best ever game intros, as voted by fans on Gamespy. Not bad for a game thats 10 years old !

http://uk.gamespy.com/video/av.html?dlU ... _ID=798722

and DAWN OF WAR made number 1

http://uk.gamespy.com/articles/798/798722p5.html

Although the intro is being voted on, i thought it was interesting that both games have an ISO-STYLE view!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Dawn of War had an amazing intro. Halflife had a shit one. YOURE ON A TRAM YOURE ON A TRAM ROFL ITS A TRAM
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

That's shite. Made by people with no knowledge of the military whatsoever.

Fallout has probably the best intro and outro of any game ever. Even Planescape: Torment couldn't top it.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Mechanurgist wrote:This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

As long as it *looks* good.. who cares?
Intro's are meant to set up the mood, and DoW intro does that perfectly.

God of War 2 does it a bit differently though, and sets the mood with you playing the intro, and that, imo, deserves first spot.

EDIT:

By the way, it's not best intro, it's:
"Top 10 most Cinematic Moments in Gaming"

I'm not sure anything has topped Blizzards cinematics.

Back when C&C was the rage though, that was when I was most impressed with animated movies, in games.
Testicular Pugilist
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

that dawn of war intro is fucking gay, it's just typical lotr-style battle stuff. forgettable.

the half-life 1 intro was cool because it was in-game, showed off the engine, and established the black mesa atmosphere rather nicely. much better than some wack ass flashy cinematic.

fallout's intro is certainly the most stylish of the bunch though :auteur:

as for planescape: torment, i can't even remember it having an intro.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Mechanurgist wrote:That's shite. Made by people with no knowledge of the military whatsoever.
it has lasers and orcs and shit, what the fuck are you going on about military accuracy for

i always thought starcraft had a sort of neat intro. the fallout intros are very good, but i really like the homeworld intros
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

What this shows is that games are still stuck in the "retarded b-movie" stage of cinematics and until that changes they'll never hold a candle to movies. The Fallout intro is the only one with style and skill. :timcain:
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The Fallout intro will always be the best in my opinion. I remember watching it for the first time and getting chills as the shot of the television zoomed out and I saw this destroyed city. I knew I was in for something special.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Mechanurgist wrote:That's shite. Made by people with no knowledge of the military whatsoever.
I laffed.

It's a game set in a gothic dystopian future that contains 8 foot giant in power armor and space orcs. Knowledge of modern military isn't really that relevant. Edit: Or I could just repeat what Johnnygothisgun said.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I laffed.

It's a game set in a gothic dystopian future that contains 8 foot giant in power armor and space orcs. Knowledge of modern military isn't really that relevant. Edit: Or I could just repeat what Johnnygothisgun said.
So? It still doesn't make much fucking sense. First thing, Orkz using mortars to destroy Predator in one hit. Second thing, a small group(9? Why not all?) of Orkz runs through like 100m under fire from a whole fucking squad of SM and NO ONE gets hit - there is even a scene where SM shoots straight at a running Ork, too bad the bullets don't come out of the barrel. The abandoning of fortified position to go melee with the Orkz is simply retarded tactical decision gothic grim future or not, but let's say it can be explained by SM's zeal. It was fucking awesome the first time I saw it, but that's about it.

Putting that aside, I didn't click the link, but aside from Fallout I'd include WoW, IWD2, Homeworld, maybe MGS2.

Speaking of outros, there can be only one - Thief: The Dark Project.
Serious Business.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Mechanurgist wrote:This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkFo5SBx-g

Fallout has probably the best intro and outro of any game ever. Even Planescape: Torment couldn't top it.
Looks like a cheap rip-off from the StarCraft intro D:

Fallout has an awesome intro, can't think of a better one right now
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Koki wrote:Second thing, a small group(9? Why not all?) of Orkz runs through like 100m under fire from a whole fucking squad of SM and NO ONE gets hit - there is even a scene where SM shoots straight at a running Ork, too bad the bullets don't come out of the barrel.
They actually shoot with their eyes closed, or in some cases, would hit more often if they did.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What's so great about the Dawn of War intro? It was just a generic battle depiction without a specific 'point' or climax or anything.

I thought the Half-Life intro was pretty cool(including the walk to the 'core' prior to the accident), especially becuase you kind of relived those sights on your way out of Black Mesa. It was simple, but it worked.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

When it comes to "epic" intro(or cinematics, for that matter), I think Blizzard pretty much invented the genre, and are tough to beat. Any Warcraft game beats DoW when it comes to cinematics(not just cinematics IMHO).

Also, Final Fantasy is pretty much king of cinematics.
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

Speaking of outros, there can be only one - Thief: The Dark Project.
To be fair, even though the Thief: The Dark Project outro is good, I still don't think it has the brilliance of Fallout's deeply ironic and highly cynical ending.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Wanna do something cool? Watch Fallout's intro then Mad Max 2's. Hell, even the two at the same time, maybe!

As much as I liked DoW's (makes me want to go pew pew on people), it's still flashy generic cutscene that adds little to the actual game.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Koki wrote:So? It still doesn't make much fucking sense.
The orks are fungus that are genetically programmed for war - once again, making sense isn't exactly Warhammer's strong point.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

atoga wrote:that dawn of war intro is fucking gay, it's just typical lotr-as for planescape: torment, i can't even remember it having an intro.
I don't remember much beyond some zombie wheeling TNO's corpse in on a slab. Accompanied by some flahback type visions?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Wolfman Walt wrote:The orks are fungus that are genetically programmed for war - once again, making sense isn't exactly Warhammer's strong point.
Funny. I always thought it kinda did so far.
Serious Business.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Well how far are you?