The Witcher preview (translated liek)

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

The Witcher preview (translated liek)

Post by DaC-Sniper »

So i am reading the the german preview of PC Games right now, this game sounds interesting, it`s a RPG, which offers choices and consequences and better than that Oblivion crap. Anyways some facts, which stand in this preview:

-You can zoom the camera out to play it in ISO-view/Alternative: Behind Back, NWN -style probably
-Made by a polish dev studio
-Three different fight styles "slow" "fast" "group" , you can switch between them, there also stands it`s more tactic etc... combat is realtime with mouse clicks
-The choices and the consequences made, influence not only the Quest, but also the Story
-4 mainstats: Strength, endurance, agility and intelligence
-some strange character system(in your sleep you can choose perks or something, can`t explain it right now)
-uses Bioware Aurora Engine(upgraded version, looks better)
-there is a screenshot of a prostitute (++)
-people have a daily life(go there, make that etc.)
-animals walking around town: chickens, etc. (very liveful)
-if there is rain, people try to hide under roof`s
-at night they sleep or go to bar, at day there are at the marketplace
-dialogue trees are in
-people won`t talk to you, if you are on a different certain group, sometimes you have to give them something or gold coins, before they want to talk
-60 to 80 hours gameplay, according to the dev
-says it won`t have much bugs(compared to Gothic 3 etc.)
-more like dark fantasy
-germans will get a cencored version D: ... shit. (no deadly finishing moves)
-gambling and boxing, drinking in pubs

Release Date: September 2007
(2 months left, soon.)

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/

sounds better than that other RPG crap, i`m gonna buy it D; supporting teh last kinda RPG-like game, fuck it, when i can`t find no manual or a printed map in that box. :gnasher: choices and consequences, indeed.

Update, just found out: Standart Version includes some good shit here:

-Soundtrack CD
-CD with some bonus material
-A small story written by Andrzej Sapkowski(don`t ask me)
-A printed map for the town and the city

:salute: its bought.

Collectors Edition(includes all stuff from standart edition)

-Cardgame
-Some Witcher-medallion
-A Artbook
-A Bestarium: A book with details to monsters & animals form the game

Disscuss.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Jedi Knight 2 40000 years earlier :yawn:
Serious Business.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Koki wrote:Jedi Knight 2 40000 years earlier :yawn:
Wouldn't that make it a longer time ago in possibly a galaxy farther away?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

tl;dr :pirate:
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

niggas, buy it, those dev baked me a nice witcher cake, also they flew me to poland and showed me some really nice restauraunt, where you could eat lobsters or other polish delicatesses like phat sausages, after that there was a private party, here and there some naked skin and a little bit alcohol. we all laughed and had a great time, while the euros filled my pockets. i have absolutley no doubt, that game is literally THE RPG OF THE YEAR 2007!
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

DaC-Sniper wrote:that game is literally THE RPG OF THE YEAR 2007!
Just as a quick refresher....what other RPGs are there?
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

maybe this?

or...
mhh...
uhh..
BIOSHOCK!! MASS EFFECT!! Drakensang,

there are no RPG`s, except maybe The Witcher, i like the polish sausages really, eh i mean the choices and consequences in that game. It`s also a RPG for PC only, which can`t suck that much.

All other games are for 2008, like:
Fallout 3
Dropship(ex-Troika)
Dragon Age

... that`s all.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

it's an ACTION rpg
it's Polish
it has combos
you're losing interest yet?

oh, also, I posted about this game a whileback.. The only intersting thing so far about the game is the setting.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

I LIVE IN A WORLD; WHERE REAL RPG`S ARE STILL BEING PRODUCED; SO STOP TO DESTROY THIS ILLUSION. :aiee: HO-KeY?
Kraszu
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kraszu »

PiP wrote:it's an ACTION rpg
Depends on definition it looks like rpg whit action combat not game like Diablo becouse it has c&c dialogue trees. If you call Diablo action rpg then calling the witcher action rpg would be misleading.
PiP wrote:it has combos
But they don't require fast button smashing you just set combo, and if it work depend on your timing I like that system it is not twitchy and still have some challenge.
PiP wrote:oh, also, I posted about this game a whileback.. The only intersting thing so far about the game is the setting.
As dialogue trees and c&c are not interesting in rpg?
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

STFU polack

Game WILL suck, stop hyping it for no reason

PiP: You forgot about "Based on a popular franchise"
Serious Business.
Kraszu
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kraszu »

Koki wrote:STFU polack

Game WILL suck, stop hyping it for no reason

PiP: You forgot about "Based on a popular franchise"
Fuck off cunt, from information provided it may be decent game only reason why I write about it. I don't hype it, dialogue trees and c&c are a fact haw will they be implanted we will see but I see no reason to think that it will suck, none you provide. Haw is that game like JK2, you compared it to JK2 just becouse fight also focus on swords? Common you can do better then that.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Kraszu wrote:Depends on definition it looks like rpg whit action combat not game like Diablo becouse it has c&c dialogue trees. If you call Diablo action rpg then calling the witcher action rpg would be misleading.
Diablo is a hack-n-slash. Witcher is an action rpg cos it's combat-heavy and the said combat requires player skill, not (only?) character skill. perhaps it's even a HnS? Fuck if I care to find out the difference now.
Kraszu wrote:But they don't require fast button smashing you just set combo, and if it work depend on your timing I like that system it is not twitchy and still have some challenge.
still, it requires the player to initiate attacks one-by-one in real time. That it has combos, I didn't add to prove it's some fucking combat-bastard-of-a-roleplay; that is already prooved. I added it to show how ridiculously close to mindless console games this is. Combos are like a token of mindless mashing. Yet you say no mashing? Yay, gotta check this out.
Kraszu wrote:As dialogue trees and c&c are not interesting in rpg?
dialogue trees per se are not interesting; they are a precondition. Interesting dialogue trees are interesting. Are these? Link to sample or something or gtfo.
Last edited by PiP on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Koki wrote:PiP: You forgot about "Based on a popular franchise"
nigga please.. :chuckel: outside Duckland? (just coined it :))
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

now i know, what destroyed RPG`s like Fallout, it`s the internet.

everything makes fucking sense now. :erleuchtung:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Re: The Witcher preview (translated liek)

Post by VasikkA »

DaC-Sniper wrote:this game sounds interesting
You gotta be kidding.
Kraszu
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kraszu »

PiP wrote:
Kraszu wrote:Depends on definition it looks like rpg whit action combat not game like Diablo becouse it has c&c dialogue trees. If you call Diablo action rpg then calling the witcher action rpg would be misleading.
Diablo is a hack-n-slash. Witcher is an action rpg cos it's combat-heavy and the said combat requires player skill, not (only?) character skill. perhaps it's even a HnS? Fuck if I care to find out the difference now.
Ok if you don't like rpg whit action combat you may not see a difference I liked gothic and g2 through and I am not interested in hack & slash games like diablo clones.
Kraszu wrote:But they don't require fast button smashing you just set combo, and if it work depend on your timing I like that system it is not twitchy and still have some challenge.
still, it requires the player to initiate attacks one-by-one in real time. That it has combos, I didn't add to prove it's some fucking combat-bastard-of-a-roleplay; that is already prooved. I added it to show how ridiculously close to mindless console games this is. Combos are like a token of mindless mashing. Yet you say no mashing? Yay, gotta check this out.[/quote]

You don't know what timed combat is? Never played gothic? Button smashing gives you nothing you have to attack in right time that is much diferent gameplay then having to smash buttons fast, also something diferent then most console fight games aim at right? (I don't even own a console). I guess that you mean by mindless that it promotes twitch skills well that is not the case then whit timed system.
Kraszu wrote:As dialogue trees and c&c are not interesting in rpg?
dialogue trees per se are not interesting; they are a precondition. Interesting dialogue trees are interesting. Are these? Link to sample or something or gtfo.[/quote]

http://www.playfuls.com/gamespace_148_d ... ailer.html

Add to that interviews whit examples of c&c, nothing mind blowing but looks like the game can be good to me based on that.
PiP

Post by PiP »

mkay the 'local harlot' :chuckel: talking to the 'man with a big iron cross on his back' was okay, but combat looks like I really don't like it D:

well I gotta admit I like the 'multiple solutions' approach implemented here. Also the detail of dialogue seems satisfactory. If these two things are done on the same level throughout the game, this might be just enough to give the game a go.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Still not witchy enough.
PiP

Post by PiP »

dull D;