recommend me some moviez in the gritty urban environment

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

I found a Escape from New York DVD for sale in a magazine store... 41 bucks. I had 50. But I already had wasted 15 on Neverwinter Nights Platinum before. :dinosaur:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Cthulhu wrote:I found a Escape from New York DVD for sale in a magazine store... 41 bucks. I had 50. But I already had wasted 15 on Neverwinter Nights Platinum before.
$41 ?

That's insane.

It should be like $5-$10 tops.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Redeye wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:I found a Escape from New York DVD for sale in a magazine store... 41 bucks. I had 50. But I already had wasted 15 on Neverwinter Nights Platinum before.
$41 ?

That's insane.
I just paid 45 dollars for an out of print Criterion Collection edition of Robocop. Then again I'm pretty sure Criterion didn't do an edition of Escape from New York, so yeah, what the fuck?
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Uh, my bad, reais, not dollars. 41 reais is somewhat expensive, but not insane expensive. :culture shock:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Aonaran wrote:
Redeye wrote:
$41 ?

That's insane.
I just paid 45 dollars for an out of print Criterion Collection edition of Robocop. Then again I'm pretty sure Criterion didn't do an edition of Escape from New York, so yeah, what the fuck?

one
two
three

The savings can be passed on to drugs and ammo.

edit: this post was written while the on mentioning the "bucks" were reas, not USD.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I got Escape from New York on DVD for 4.99 at Walmart on Sunday. You got jipped Cthulhu unless that DVD contains some really awesome special features or something.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Escape from the Bronx, lol

"The full death toll in the uncut version is 174. There are 110 killed in shootings, 40 in explosions, 9 by flamethrowers, 1 by stabbing, 1 off-screen kill, 4 unknowns, 6 electrocutions, 2 bashed in the face with a helmet and 1 face turned to red mush after being hit with a shotgun butt."

:psychosniper: :psychosniper: :psychosniper: out of :vietnam:
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

The 25th Anniversary Edition of Blade Runner is what I'm waiting for. Willing to pay a lot of money for that one. Everything else gets the torrent treatment.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

The Running Man.

Though I'd suggest the book more.

The Little Mermaid was one awesoem '80s movie as well.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Aonaran wrote: I just paid 45 dollars for an out of print Criterion Collection edition of Robocop. Then again I'm pretty sure Criterion didn't do an edition of Escape from New York, so yeah, what the fuck?
Yowza, I bought that version years ago, had no idea it was worth anything (too bad I threw away the box). Still not sure what Criterion Collection was thinking doing Robocop though.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

VasikkA wrote:Escape from the Bronx, lol

"The full death toll in the uncut version is 174. There are 110 killed in shootings, 40 in explosions, 9 by flamethrowers, 1 by stabbing, 1 off-screen kill, 4 unknowns, 6 electrocutions, 2 bashed in the face with a helmet and 1 face turned to red mush after being hit with a shotgun butt."

:psychosniper: :psychosniper: :psychosniper: out of :vietnam:

Yay, reminds me of Red Dawn.

Scroll down to the Cultural References section. Good stuff.

At one time, Red Dawn was entered into the Guinness Book of Records as the most violent film. On average, 134 acts of violence occur every hour.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Gimp Mask wrote:some of you didn't quite catch my drift here, so let me be more specific: I'm looking for the "futuristic" stuff, you know, "Year 2002. USA is a mean,
bad-ass dystopia", ultra-modern car designs a'la Ford Taurus, etc. Kaputt?
how on earth does the warriors fit into that category?

anyway, uhh:
mean streets (starring de niro, keitel) is pretty good, if you like the warriors you will probably like that too. captures the violent side of new york very well

this is now a thread for recommending movies in the gritty urban environment genré
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

atoga wrote:this is now a thread for recommending movies in the gritty urban environment genré
Taxi Driver. D; Midnight Cowboy. They Live, again.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

atoga wrote:
Gimp Mask wrote:some of you didn't quite catch my drift here, so let me be more specific: I'm looking for the "futuristic" stuff, you know, "Year 2002. USA is a mean,
bad-ass dystopia", ultra-modern car designs a'la Ford Taurus, etc. Kaputt?
how on earth does the warriors fit into that category?

anyway, uhh:
mean streets (starring de niro, keitel) is pretty good, if you like the warriors you will probably like that too. captures the violent side of new york very well

this is now a thread for recommending movies in the gritty urban environment genré
genré?
Jeff
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jeff »

atoga wrote:how on earth does the warriors fit into that category?
it doesnt but its awesome anyway ok :chew:
that is a better description i suppose, thank you, i like the 80's flicks the best because of lé cheese factor.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:Yowza, I bought that version years ago, had no idea it was worth anything (too bad I threw away the box). Still not sure what Criterion Collection was thinking doing Robocop though.
I'd say they were thinking (Correctly) that Paul Verhoeven is a genius and that it was a brilliant film about the for identity within the military industrial complex. Seriously, that is an incredibly layered film. But yeah, if you had kept that bitch in good condition you could have sold it for 80. Whoops!
my vocabulary skills is above you.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

They are remaking Escape From New York btw

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33189
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

back to the future part 2
big trouble in little china
romper stomper
a clockwork orange
twelve monkeys
fortress
they live
terminator
phantasm
brazil
do the right thing
hard boiled
dark city
time cop
assault on precinct 13
wild at heart
the outsiders
equillibrium
:chew:
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

SuperH wrote:They are remaking Escape From New York btw

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33189
What the fuck is wrong with them?
Shitty comic book movies
Shitty remakes
Shitty movies about 70s TV shows

I don't see them willing to improve on Escape at all, just substitute CG for everything that was good in the original.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin