Armour ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I like that headlight idea. If it's night and enemies are not highlighted then it's damn useful. Along with a nice spotlight effect. You could attach a headlight on your helmet or wear a PA(shoulder lamp, anyone?).
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

FireWolf wrote:why would a soldier have firefighting equipment?
Because fire always has been, continues to be and always will be a major factor on the battlefield.

As for the headlamp idea, I think it should stick to game effect rather than just having a graphical one. In other words, what's important isn't that you the player can better see non-outlined enemies, but rather the combat mechanics (the rules and computerized dice rolls happening out of your view) should be incfluenced by them. For instance, someone standing behind you while you've got your headlamp on is going to have a pretty easy time hitting you because you've silhouetted yourself nicely. Someone facing you, however, would suffer a penalty due to having the light shining in their eyes.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

ohh, good one.

also, "why would a soldier have firefighting equipment?" well, maybe theres more suits. they were being developed before the bombs dropped, so obviously theres gonna be different kinds. Firefighting suit, stealth/invisibility suit, flying suit...the list is endless.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

no, just one suit. power armour. thats it. i really do not want different armour classes springing up.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

FireWolf wrote:i really do not want different armour classes springing up.
I have to differ here w/you. While I really don't want to see umpteen different versions of PA popping up (it'd be a balance nightmare, for one) I think that having a couple of different variations on the standard T-51b might not be such a bad thing at all. In fact, I think it could be a decent antidote to the munchkinism that would like to see a better (read: higher AC and DT/DR) version of PA w/every new installment of the FO series.

Take the example of Heinlein's Starship Troopers - the fact that PA wasn't included in Verhoeven's film adaptation is a travesty, but we'll get into that some other time - there were three versions of armor that the Cap Troopers wore:
  • Standard model: equipped w/basic detection/targeting equipment and one or two commo channels.
  • Scout Suit: featured enhanced detection/targeting equipment and was more nimble than the standard model, all at a cost of protection.
  • Command Suit: featured extra communications equipment for coordinating other units.
While the last option can pretty much be shelved - who cares if you can talk to more people when it's just you and at most a handful of NPCs that are fighting? - the standard vs. Scout suits offer players a real choice when confronted w/both of them. Do you take the standard model w/its good AC and DT/DR, and its +3 bonus to ST; or do you take the Scout model which has a slightly better AC, lower DT/DR, and provides a +1 each to ST, PE and AG?

Sounds like a better option to me than simply piling on more AC, DT and DR which was all that Hardened PA*, APA and APA Mk II did.

*I have to say that Hardened PA was a good thing, though, since it wasn't a found item, but rather a modified/customized item.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Defective or damaged armor: Cheaper, less protection, same weight, enemies are more likely to get bypasses armor criticals, or it reduces Agility due to poor fit. Armor could also give the same protection for more weight.

Silly Armor: Attempts to duplicate prewar armor have resulted in a fully functional suit of combat armor that is an unchangeable hot pink in color.
It gives a penalty to sneak anywhere that is not pink, and affects NPC reactions. Attempts to shoot you in daylight may have an eyestrain penalty.

Police Armor and Police Riot Armor: Modified Combat Armor and
CA Mk 2 in spiffy dark blue. Designed for civilian police duty and riot control, so they have increased protection from normal attacks and reduced energy protection.

Powerless armor: All the fun of PA without the strength bonus.

Deathclaw hide armor: Weighs as much as Leather Mk2, protects much better. Animals will smell it and may attack, flee, or stampede. This will NOT make you popular with Brahmin ranchers, and may prevent animal companions. Very expensive unless you get the DC hides yourself...
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Blarg wrote:Defective or damaged armor: Cheaper, less protection, same weight, enemies are more likely to get bypasses armor criticals, or it reduces Agility due to poor fit. Armor could also give the same protection for more weight.
Good points, and it would also make Repair skill more important
Silly Armor: Attempts to duplicate prewar armor have resulted in a fully functional suit of combat armor that is an unchangeable hot pink in color.
It gives a penalty to sneak anywhere that is not pink, and affects NPC reactions. Attempts to shoot you in daylight may have an eyestrain penalty.
:P
Police Armor and Police Riot Armor: Modified Combat Armor and
CA Mk 2 in spiffy dark blue. Designed for civilian police duty and riot control, so they have increased protection from normal attacks and reduced energy protection.
Nah, a regular CA is enough. No need for specializing that.
Powerless armor: All the fun of PA without the strength bonus.
Now, who would have the strength of carrying a huge armor without power to ease movement?
Deathclaw hide armor: Weighs as much as Leather Mk2, protects much better. Animals will smell it and may attack, flee, or stampede. This will NOT make you popular with Brahmin ranchers, and may prevent animal companions. Very expensive unless you get the DC hides yourself...
Sounds logical to me. Along with a 'Deathclaw skinning' special perk :wink:
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I've read starship troopers and I agree that it should have been in the film. unfortunately money is always an option especially with a movie which is unlikely to gross highly like ST. its a shame because those bugs were, and are, awesome. the chronicles series was a better addaption but still not quite up to the book's standard.

The idea of command armour is interesting, it would be stronger, faster, better equiped while grunt armour, the basic t151b, would be less expensive and more available.

however, you could go the other way. T151b could have been designed for the officers and squad leaders while combat armour was the staple means of protection for the average grunt. remember in fallout 2 the soldier who thinks he's still fighting the war? he's wearing combat armour, not PA.

The relative inavailability of PA suggests that it wasnt in common use on the front but gave an advantage to the side in certain situations.

varying the armour types I dont mind, as long as it makes sense. But, really, when you come into contact with a DC you are going to fill it with so much lead to stop this devilish apparation that you wont really have much left to skin.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Frankly, most of those armor ideas are crap. This is Fallout we're talking about.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

frankly my dear i just dont give a flying fuck.

try posting something constructive rather than "your ideas are crap, i will no refuse to expand upon my answer because that would be silly, i shall not voice the reasons for my opinion because just saying they're crap makes sense to me."

send complaints to : feedback@myass.com
king_ota
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by king_ota »

I would be neet to see at some times where you had to wear a specifiv type of armor. Say you want to inflatrate a ganges base, all of the gang members wear leather armor and have shotguns. so you have to come in with a shotgun a leather armor or you would blow the mission.

Also upgrades would be nice like metal armor with spikes. I could affect your npc reactions, could deal unarmed attackers some dammage and hurt you if you messup.

Some thing along the line of scrap armor would be nice It could be made out of bits of leather armor, metal armor, PA, cars, other stuff...
Hail to the King!
Its good to be the king!
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

Two things to add here.

1. Disguises would be kewl, say if you had a really good barter skill you could trade a guard for his clothes to get into the mob leaders house and assasinate him. But if it were as easy as stealing or killing the guards it would unbalance the game. Maybe if it were a unique item that is only good for 1 big quest.

2. Yes continuing the Diablo2 ideas. Anyway, you could go into a crouch position behind the shield and gain protection from enemies for at least a few combat turns (probably have a high percentage to break the shield, therefore needing it to be repaired later.)
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

VasikkA wrote:
Blarg wrote: Powerless armor: All the fun of PA without the strength bonus.
Now, who would have the strength of carrying a huge armor without power to ease movement?
I'm guessing that powerless power armour would be something you found in an abandoned vault or something.

Perhaps someone took the power cells?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

How were the power armors powered anyway? They didn't use any cells/batteries.
I'd guess an inbuilt fusion reactor.

Maybe the FO bible would give an answer, I'm not in the mood of checknig it though :roll:
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

PA are fitted with micro-fusion batteries. they have power to last for 100 years. You find this out if you look at the item description.

powerless PA would be a nightmare to maneuver in or fight in. perhaps you could have poorly cared for armour, dented, weakend, rusty, and have perfect armour, well maintained, shiney etc. that's the only variation i think i could tolerate on PA.

I think PA would have to be very late to get, and you need to perform a mission in order to attain it. not buy the damn things. Combat armour was easily one of my fav. armours in Fo and Fo2, BoS combat armour was badass.

Someone said before that I am taking ideas from diablo and such games, well to be honest, if those features are good, would work, why not?
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Getting a suit of PLA going would be a good quest. Having any functional PA would be worth having to feed it power cells occasionally.

FO PA was pretty heavy. FO2 PA weighed about 40-45 pounds IIRC, depending on the type. That would not be too heavy for a high-strength character if you could put the servos in neutral or something. Medieval armor could weigh 50-60 pounds, after all. Perhaps you could find a damaged suit of PA that supports most of its own weight. It would allow use with no penalty, count as only 30-50 pounds of encumbrance when worn, but provide no strength bonus.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

not too fond of recharging my PA. it'd be a real bitch to go into combat then suddenly find out "dang! i forgot to charge me batteries!" and then stop moving.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Haha, you're probably right. And if you're walking instead of using car and your PA runs out of juice, a green dot with description 'Power Armor outta fuel' appears on the world map.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

you'd be like the tin man encounter in fo2. "please, get me a fusion battery for my PA"
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

I also like the idea of being able to make or upgrade my own armor. A high Outdoorsman(assuming the addition of no new skills) skill could allow the production or upgrade of leather jackets and armor, if you can get the raw materials(i.e.: kill and skin a brahmin without being killed for cattle rustling). Repair and/or Science could allow the production or upgrade of metal armor. It would take considerable time, although time could be saved if partially ready materials(cured leather, sheet metal) were available.