All your base.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

All your base.

Post by Megatron »

How about in fallout 3 you find a small patch of land, with a fence and a small house that you can use as your base?

If you leave party memebrs there, they build on it slowly, like adding an extra room or something, and you can also buy upgrades to it in certain towns, like a sentry gun or plate your house with steel plates.

You could use your base to store weapons, keep party members there, keep your car there if you can't be bothered driving it around or you get more than one and use it for training (like if you build a gym or something, you could train there for a week and it builds up your unarmed ability)

And soemtimes raiders could come to attack your base, or mabye a lost deathclaw wanders in or something.

Or just have an empty base that you can't build on if you don't like that idea. But by the end of fallout 2, i just used navarro as my base as i couldnt be bothered keeping all my stuff in my car, then have it run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.

blarg
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

yeah and then you could call the game "Sim-Fallout" and you could build up a nice farm and have neighbours, perhaps a pet dog named scruff.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

well I wouldn't mind it, I would find it easier than killing 30 or so enclave troops just so I can store all my miniguns and other junk in a locker.

Yes, the car is there, but what if I lose it or something? about 10000000$ down the drain because of a bug.
James
Respected
Respected

Post by James »

This would not apeal to everyone, of course :-)

But, prehaps for just storing stuff, one could make buried caches in the wasteland. This seems more fallout to me. If food and water were implemented this would even become important.
"Ancient Greece was ahead of its time, and before our time. They had no TV, but they had lots of philosophers.
I, personally, would not want to sit all evening watching a philosopher."
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Any place can act as a "base". In FO2 I almost invariably used The Stables, with its centralized location and scads of tables just aching to strain under the weight of one of each type of item in the game.

I have to agree w/James, though. This idea sounds a bit too much like "FO: Sim".

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
tux
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by tux »

Drop the "your own patch of land" part and leave the "NPCs act on thier own away from you". That sounds good.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

a central location would be fine. for example in fallout 1 i stored stuff in the brotherhood bunker. cause it was cool. in fo2 i used the ranger's base and the BoS bunkers.

personally i wouldn't enjoy digging a hole to put my stuff in. too much risk of it being found and stolen. then where would you be. keeping it in a vehicle is always the best option. in the wasteland you shouldnt really hoard equipment you dont need anyway.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

In fallout2 I was lazy, I shoved my stuff into the trunk.

Central location where you can keep items/money should depend on your character. If you're a BOS recruit, then a BOS bunker is your home. If you're a raider, raider base is your home.
The_one-1
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by The_one-1 »

I think having a patch of land and a small house would be cool, cuz by the time you beat the game your "Base" is going to be a fortress.having a little gym and sentry guns and garage and crap would be pretty fun. But I think Maxis would have to make the game, cuz interplay sux at "sims" games. Maxis is awesome at those games.Peace...
Would you like to get high with that?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

this auta fix it:

you find some terrified guy at a town
he says that raider/bandits have tacken over his house, captured his wife and children
he ran away.
(Sounds like that .223 guy from FO1, but hey, who cares?)
ok...
so, you go there, kill the raider dudes, and save his family.
he says that you can have a room/some space in a shed for helping
if you stop by when you are hurt, he can heal/let you rest there
oh, and if any of his family is killed durring the attack, NO HOUSE FOR YOU!

sound good?
Deathy
Regular
Regular

Post by Deathy »

Say...
Wasn't the point of the first two Fallout games based on saving your home?

That theme will probably be repeated in Fallout 3, and to go out and build a home somewhere else defeats the purpose of the story.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

I second this. Let's face it, the chosen one probably has more concerns saving the world rather than worrying about a new conservatory or a nice white picket fence. It always confused me why people hoarded goods, I think the chosen one should just carry the bare essentials while he strives to save the world. What's the point of having fifteen miniguns?
The_one-1
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by The_one-1 »

HEy MAN, its the wasteland. Everyman for themselves. Where the strong and rich survive, the weak and lonely die first.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

bah!

be a rat, kill people and immediatly sell their shit.

thats the way to go!

all i need is a long range weapon, and a short range burst weapon.
throw in some stimpacks, some lockpicks, and some hooker money,
and im SET!

gotta have hookers
"you want sucky sucky? i love you long time, onlt 10 dalla"
(name what thats from :wink: )
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That idea is fine as long as they can also concetrate on storyline and gameplay. An own house would be a nice but an useless addition, so I don't really care.
The_one-1
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by The_one-1 »

"you want sucky sucky? i love you long time, onlt 10 dalla"
(name what thats from )

Thats cartman when he is a veitnamee prostitute. "Spanky,spanky matt damen.".

Shit If I was in a post-apoc world, I'd be stocked up with ammo,guns,money and shit. I'd kill people just for their shit. Again, its everyman for them selves.
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

The_one-1 wrote:"you want sucky sucky? i love you long time, onlt 10 dalla"
(name what thats from )
Full Metal Jacket, I think.

It's a cool idea, like if you anger any factions, groups of them start to attack your base, and if you hire guards you don't have to worry about it unless you anger too many people, in which case all your stuff is captured.
Not to the point that it takes all you time to manage it, but more like something you check every once in a while.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

yeah something to do when you're finished...just blasting away with your tripod mounted M-60 holding off squads of bos soldiers.

Mabye you could use your house to advance weapons, store stuff and NPCs, repair limbs and get chips implanted...a bit like the bos base in fo2, except bigger and a little different.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yea, its from FMJ

southpark just ripped it off, lol
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I love that movie. One of my favs.