Your FO2 char

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

What style of character do you use in FO2

Combat
41%
Diplomatic
17%
Deceptive
12%
They all suit me equally
30%

Total votes: 69

Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

BUt when you leave 5,4,3 pushed down it's faster, though you propably won't need that much money, but hey! You're the first millionare in the wastes! :P
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

No it's not. See, when you press 3 keys down, only one repeats. try it in a text editor... Works the same in fallout.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Nope, it uses them all. I've tried it. I looked the money flow with down 5 then added 4 and then 3... it wnet faster. Also it the choices for those numbers "blink" like they would be used.
Red

Post by Red »

Well, I decided to test it instead of speculate, and pressing 2 keys is in fact faster, however pressing 3 is a bit slower then two.

There's a reason for that, and that's because accessing the PC speaker is a slow process specially in the win32 environment, and pressing 3 keys causes the pc speaker to beep. Maybe on faster computers then mine it might process the third (and thus maybe a fourth and fifth) key properly without beeping though and thus be faster.

After 1 or 2 minutes I had 100k - and man does gambling suck.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Most fitting:

Good Diplomat

Least fitting:

Neutral Combat-Expert
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Hmm, I thought of something interesting.
How about completing the game with the crappiest char as possible. That'd would make the game a bit more challenging and interesting. Or extremely boring. Maybe a high endurance and perception, the rest as low as you can go. And picking the worst traits and perks :D
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Thinks it will be boring and cursing and reloading, but if you want to beat the game in several ways then why not?? :roll:
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Warlord wrote:It's Small Guns all the way. Nothing else is needed.
Once you get gauss rifle, of course. But for me I used the Y2K Pulse rifle with the bonus rate of fire which was great seeing how i had 9 aps!

*BTW, where do u get the Gauss rifle? Outside of the Oil rig i mean*
Loudood
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Loudood »

Some of the San Fransisco punks have gauss rifles on them.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

10 Agility, Bonus Rate of Fire, and 2 levels of Action Boy give you three targetted shots per round with a Gauss pistol. The only thing better is the same combination but with a Turbo Plasma rifle from FO1 instead of the pistol. It can take down a Deathclaw in one round.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Loudood wrote:Some of the San Fransisco punks have gauss rifles on them.
Thanks for the advice. I know that loads of ammo is in the place at Toxic Caves
Loudood
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Loudood »

I don't think that the Toxic Cave area has 2mm EC, in fact, you stand a much better chance of finding it south of New Reno.

I could be wrong though, I haven't thouroughly checked the caves in a while.
Beren
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

My Character

Post by Beren »

My combat character:
S5 P8 E5 C7 I9 A8 L5
Gifted and Good Natured
Tag - Small Guns, Unarmed, Science
QPockets, NVision, Sshooter, ABoy, BRoF, BCrits, MrFixit, Sniper, BHtH
I devote extra skill points to lockpick and repair, and dump a little into throwing, doctor, and traps.

On Diplomacy:
Speech and barter seem to be the most useless skills in the game. I tried pumping up speech once; it didn't do a thing to my dialog options. As for barter, this guy has around 30% from being good natured and has never been short on cash.

On Thieving:
Sneak seems pretty useless to me -- why sneak past something when you can kill it and pick up experience? The only thing that really needs to be stolen, the Presidential Pass that Gunter carries, can be stolen and replanted with 15% Steal. Traps is somewhat useful, but 50% is almost more than necessary. Lockpick, on the other hand, is essential.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Loudood wrote:Some of the San Fransisco punks have gauss rifles on them.
Worth checking SF traders. And IIRC, ammo can be found at the BOS bunker.
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

You have not mentioned the best character ever, 8st, 9pe, 9en, 1ch, 1in, 3ag, 4lk. And he tries to talk his way through everything, and he can't piss anyone off for some reason.
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Stealth Rabbit wrote:8st, 9pe, 9en, 1ch, 1in, 3ag, 4lk
3ag? Man, that sucks in combat.
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

I think those were his original stats. I screwed around with them a bit to make the game more interesting. Maybe his agility was higher, but pe or lk was lower. Its been a while since I used him.
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: My Character

Post by Slave_Master »

Beren wrote:Speech and barter seem to be the most useless skills in the game.
I would agree about barter, but as for Speech it has helped in some area of the game. Such as trying to convince Sgt. Rock or whatever-his-name-is to help fight Horrigan. I went through with an character that had CHR jacked up to 9, but still had maybe 10% Speech, couldn't do it. Diplomat character, I could. :?
fuck
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Speech is maybe the most useful non-combat skill. Dumb characters, don't bother. :roll:
Beren
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Beren »

I disagree. My characters typically have 9 intelligence and 7 charisma. I pumped speech past 100% and witnessed no effect on conversations from the previous game. I was dipping into the mentat supply as often as ever!

So lately, I've been using good natured from the start, and haven't waste a single point on speech or barter. When I run into a dialog situation, my character may pop a mentat, but 7 charisma is usually enough.

Also, I tend to take a bath with the merchants. I'll drop down an assault rifle for ten chips, just to be done with it. I usually wind up with about 50k in the end and still leave the wasteland littered with junk!