DAC's 2008 best game awards - nominations

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Edward_R_Murrow wrote:Expansion. And it looks halfway between Grey Fox and Cyber-Raiden from Metal Gear Solid. Nice job Bethesda; can't even get the retro-future aesthetics right anymore.
What do you mean "anymore" ?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Lol. Looking at it more closely, it doesn't look TOO futuristic. Like, the attempt at being futuristic, but coming from a 70s perspective.

We'll see how this unfolds, Tox. Save the judgement until after the expansion has been released-- give them an opportunity to say things are done before we look at it as a whole.
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

St. Toxic wrote:What do you mean "anymore" ?
Good point.
Manoil wrote:Lol. Looking at it more closely, it doesn't look TOO futuristic. Like, the attempt at being futuristic, but coming from a 70s perspective.
I dunno. It's pretty damn modern looking. Compare it to some "modern futuristic" stealth suits.

NOD Commando Suit from Tiberian C&C

Crysis Stealth Suit

Halo 3 EVA Suit

Grey Fox from Metal Gear Solid

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 4

Fallout 3's stealth suit could fit right in the bunch with all these "modern-futurism" steal suits just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but full body stealth suits are a more recent addition to popular culture. I always thought cloaking and stealth were traditionally done with some sort of hand-held/wrist-mounded device that projected a cloaking field. It's how the 50's pulp did it, it's how old sci-fi movies/shows did it, it's how late 80's and early 90's stuff like the Predator did it, and it's how Fallout used to do it with the stealth boy (before it became a magic potion of +100 to sneak skill). Like a lot of Bethesda's stuff, it doesn't fit. Add this to the emphasis on combat spoken of, and other goofy stuff like the "tank", and I think it's safe to throw this one out.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Football Manager 2008 D:

Or was it released in 2007.... dunno....
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Manoil wrote:We'll see how this unfolds, Tox.
If there's one thing I've learned from history, it's that I'm always right.
Edward_R_Murrow wrote: I think it's safe to throw this one out.
What do you mean "this one" ? :dance:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Edward_R_Murrow wrote:Compare it to some "modern futuristic" stealth suits.
Granted, but those all look like synthetic skin, or digital machines. The pattern on the stealth suit in FO looks more like large scales.
St. Toxic wrote:
Manoil wrote:We'll see how this unfolds, Tox.
If there's one thing I've learned from history, it's that I'm always right.
Well... yeah. There is that.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

What, you mean this suit is from fallout 3.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Questions prompt the use of question marks.

Ehue.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

So depressing on too many levels.
1) First thought: Some metal gear. Note: I have never played any of the metal gears.
2) Recognized the sword. Groaned inwardly.
3) Became really pissed after thinking about how FO3 animations are so goddamn shitty.
4) Became even more pissed at how FO3 storyline is so shit compared to metal gear *.

Good lord this is the best we have from 2008? Grease me up and send me to the homofags please.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

why has no one mentioned gta 4? admittedly it's the only game i played this year but it strikes me as a beautiful piece of design. i may have said something like this before but rockstar has nailed urban environment design; their version of nyc doesn't look as though it were solely designed to look good/be functional for car chases and missions, etc. but has a level of detail which holds up to simply roaming around the city on foot, taking time to explore - something i feel they hadn't quite achieved in the previous gta games, and which hasn't been done even remotely well in any other game. i also feel the blurring of missions with ingame free roaming is quite well done.

and, crucially, gta is the only game franchise i can think of where the maker has consistently improved almost all aspects of the game with each new instalment. (don't watch the san andreas haters)
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

GTA 4 for PC was kind of epic fail of a port.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

GTA 4 was fun but the multiplayer was bullshit when lagging, especially on the servers that allowed auto-aim. Basically, it simply became a whoever-has-less-lag-wins type of ordeal. Kind of pissed me off, considering I was a force of nature with the M16 and could get headshots easy.

I also met a little black kid from Brooklyn on GTA4 multi named "Lil Spida." The term "murk" has ever since been dear to my heart.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Regarding stealth suits - the military is actually working on one now, that is fairly effective for being in prototype stages - only problem is if it gets even one little rip it ruins the effect
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

cazsim83 wrote:Regarding stealth suits - the military is actually working on one now, that is fairly effective for being in prototype stages - only problem is if it gets even one little rip it ruins the effect
I would imagine. The problem is that we're trying to put it into patchwork, i.e. create an array of cameras. The tech can and will only be mastered when it is truely the bending of light and energy, not just an infantry-worn pillowfort.