From Russia, with love (Or: Fallout in the good old CCCP!)

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

Shards wrote:
Constipated BladeRunner wrote:D) Fallout is heading towards the idea that FEV is the only way a non plant can survive in the wasteland. So what would you be, a human plant?
E) Power Armor. 'Nuff said
F) The game will be set from Washington to Mexico City. Once again, 'nuff said.
No offense BR, but none of those make any sense.

And your right, if you like the location is a matter of opinion... I was just arguing the point that Fallout in Russia would be feasible, and that it wouldn't take much to "export" Fallout there.
Power armor was STRICTLY for the U.S- China had cheap immitations
Plants are not effected by FEV and are less likely to be extinguished by a hydrogen bomb.
IT IS NOT FEASABLE- FEV IS THE ONLY WAY LIFE CAN SURVIVE IN THE WASTELAND FOR PROLONGED AMOUNTS OF TIME
DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

This is getting ridiculous. Fallout doesn't belong to any other place than US. Period. It was designed to happen there and that's the way it is. Why not make a post-apocalyptic adventure in my country too, fallout in Finland, huh? It wouldn't be a Fallout then.
Sure, Russia/China fits theoretically in the fallout universe but not to a degree where it would make any sense to make a sequel about. Modders are welcome to develop this interesting point of view, not BIS.
:mad:
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

beatles are the wrong kind of music.

Russian fallout wouldn't BE fallout. While It might be easier to just ignore everything from fallout 1 & 2 you wouldnt get the fallout feel.

1) no FEV. FEV was a top secret affair and was in the development stages just before the War. it is unlikely it would goto Russia, who weren't even a super power at the time of the war.

2) No Vault13. without the vault, no vault dweller. no bloodline.

3) I don't like the idea.

You dont necessarily have to know the locations in fallout. I am not a US citizen and have little grasp of geography there, yet i still enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2 greatly.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Ed the Monkey
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

well.....

Post by Ed the Monkey »

I'd like to first point out that the nuclear bomb was was ultra high security and it got out in a matter of months, if not weeks...
I've recentally been very interested in finding out what technology russia (or rather china, because the russia idea seems to be quite flawed) had. Wouldn't it be almost expected to see red power armor. America may be more technologically advanced in ways, but China is ready to eat the bomb and live through it. Asia would be an amazing place to visit in the fallout world somehow, but i'm not sure i want to see fallout 3 take place there. I've been in most of the towns in the fallout 1 and 2 maps. I've lived within miles of most of the locations, and I identify with the geography of the FO world. I almost threw FOT out the window when I realized it was in chicago instead of my wonderful westcost (then I realized that it didn't belong in the Fallout world anyway, so it was ok, and i could enjoy it as a diffrent kind of game). I wouldn't mind seeing FOT2 in russia or china, because FOT isn't really part of the Fallout line, it doesn't fit... so not fitting would be fine. FO3 has things it must do, where FOT2 doesn't have anything to live up to... it can't be much worse then FOT (if you're looking for a fallout RPG i mean).
Just one monkey in a room of infinite monkeys, typing on infinite computers, now taking an infinite coffee break.......
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

As I previously have said, Fallout in China and/or Russia would be an interesting theme for ya modders out there. But not in the sequel.
Napoleon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Napoleon »

Sounds like an interesting idea, there's only one problem.

It wouldn't be Fallout. The caricature of American culture -- big cars, housewives, and excess -- among whose ruins Fallout happens just wouldn't be present in the USSR China. Part of what makes the rough world of Fallout so effective is the ironic look back on the US of times past. While a post-apocalyptic RPG set in Asia could definitely be interesting, it's more than the Fallout storyling that would be missing. It's the whole subtle irony that really frames the world that would change.

I *would*, however, like to see another type of post-apoca' game arise. Movies, too, for that matter. With some notable exceptions, it seems like the genre hasn't moved very far past sci-fi books and TV movies.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

http://www.atomicbombcinema.com/english ... stills.htm
The post apoc genre exsisted- it just burned out.
FLEA
SDF!
SDF!

Post by FLEA »

i think that fallout could work in russia hell it opens so many new possibilities differnt kind of mutations different way of life differnt weapons differnt armor
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

again, no FEV, PA of a poor quality which wouldnt work after the devastation, no vaults, no mutant hordes because the master is in USA. no west tek, no BoS... the list goes on.

if you want to make a fallout in russia dont call it fallout because it wouldnt be fallout.
FLEA
SDF!
SDF!

Post by FLEA »

well i dont know the fallout story like most of i just like playing the game but here is a question are all the people that survived were infected with fev or only mutants

bos is a fuckin awesome thing but it is easily replaseble by something similar or a total opposite
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FLEA wrote:well i dont know the fallout story like most of i just like playing the game but here is a question are all the people that survived were infected with fev or only mutants

bos is a fuckin awesome thing but it is easily replaseble by something similar or a total opposite
Mutants and other Master's experiments(centaurs, floaters) were infected with FEV. Mutants are people dipped in FEV for military purposes, the Master wanted to create a super army. Centaurs, Floaters etc.. are just nasty experiments. People who survived the great war were safe in vaults and weren't infected with FEV. Some people that got part of the radiation from the war turned into ghouls(and glowing ones).

BoS is a big authority as it is and I wouldn't want to see another group with access to hitech things. It would become too technological, as Fallout2 showed us with the Enclave/Shi/Hubologists/VC. Fallout 2 was near the cyber/post-apocalypse limits anyway so I'd like a step back to the original be done in FO3 .
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I feel the technological state of the fallout 2 world is a little over-stated. there isnt that much tech, modoc is free from it, klamath too. arroyo goes without saying. the tech in reno is limited to drug manufacture, broken hills had a refinery and a generator, vault city had tech but mainly in the vault and originating from the vault itself rather than innovation. the den was practically tech-less. reading also lacked anything other than mining equipment. NCR had some tech but it wasnt as abundent as VC.

san fran was really the black sheep. the tech there was a little over-par.

Really the most significant chance of becoming civilised comes from NCR under the lead of Tandi, who is going to die soon. when she dies NCR would probably disintegrate, afterall, they did have a spy working against them in their government, if you followed bishop, then NCR suffered the loss of one of its senators. NCR would probably (hopefully) collapse under the pressure of the wastes, disintegrating into smaller settlements with agricultural rahter than commercial and industrial economies. afterall, unless you have a resource you can exploit, like reading, you have to produce food.

The master and the Enclave are the only means of people becoming infected with FEV (maybe at the military base after prolonged exposure).

I agree that BoS should remain the technological leaders of the wastes and their attitude to sharing (i.e. they dont) that knowledge should remain firmly in place. they shouldnt want conquest (like the fot bos *spit*) but to remain a small, religious-like, organisation. this would keep the balance in the wastes.

Basically, the civilisations in fallout are very young. while they may have started out with technology from the vaults, that technology wouldn't last forever. resulting in the people resorting to older means of survival. primarily people need to supply themselves with food. this means the majority of settlements will have some form of agriculture which forms the base of their economy. then, if there are any natural resources around (reading had gold and other metals, broken hills had urainium) they can extract and export those raw materials to other settlements.

manufacturing is very limited in both fallouts. there were one or two tanneries which made armour to survive, blacksmiths to produce tools for farming and the like and a few commercial businesses like gun shops and hardware stores. the likelyhood of a technological civilisation taking hold with little to no industrial growth is unlikely to say the least. scientists rely on money from a source. and most likely R&D will center on building better means to produce food or something which is useful rather than services like insurance or computers/electronics.

it would take a long time to establish the wastelands as a stable place for a technological civilisation.

any flaws which you can see, feel free to point out.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FireWolf wrote:I feel the technological state of the fallout 2 world is a little over-stated. there isnt that much tech, modoc is free from it, klamath too. arroyo goes without saying. the tech in reno is limited to drug manufacture, broken hills had a refinery and a generator, vault city had tech but mainly in the vault and originating from the vault itself rather than innovation. the den was practically tech-less. reading also lacked anything other than mining equipment. NCR had some tech but it wasnt as abundent as VC.

san fran was really the black sheep. the tech there was a little over-par.
Modoc, Klamath, Arroyo, The Den are fine. No problem with Redding and BH refinery and generator. Mainly some mining equipment. Vault City I have a problem with. It is a bit over tech even if they have a vault and have used a GECK. The society there is a bit too 'perfect' and the laser turrets guarding the settlement... All the people had high tech monitors in their home and were using their vault suits, nah, I was expecting more Shady Sands look. That's a fine example how a civilized post-apoc community should look like. And they were highly dependant on agriculture,water and supplies too, which VC was not. And NCR was a bit too over-developed in my opinion.
You're right about San Francisco, wasn't good for the fallouty atmosphere at all.
Really the most significant chance of becoming civilised comes from NCR under the lead of Tandi, who is going to die soon. when she dies NCR would probably disintegrate, afterall, they did have a spy working against them in their government, if you followed bishop, then NCR suffered the loss of one of its senators. NCR would probably (hopefully) collapse under the pressure of the wastes, disintegrating into smaller settlements with agricultural rahter than commercial and industrial economies. afterall, unless you have a resource you can exploit, like reading, you have to produce food.
I doubt NCR will fall after death of Tandi. It's a quite stabile community, with a functional government. Though I secretly hope NCR would fall and disintegrate as you explained, that could maybe have already happened in Fallout 3. NCR expansion is a bit too fast, I doubt its so easy to convert uncivilized and dirty wasteland settlements into NCR standards so quickly, the way NCR sought to expand in FO2. So lets just hope whole California isn't NCR controlled by the time Fallout 3 starts. I'd rather hope a more secluded and trouble ridden NCR in that case if NCR prevails.
The master and the Enclave are the only means of people becoming infected with FEV (maybe at the military base after prolonged exposure).

I agree that BoS should remain the technological leaders of the wastes and their attitude to sharing (i.e. they dont) that knowledge should remain firmly in place. they shouldnt want conquest (like the fot bos *spit*) but to remain a small, religious-like, organisation. this would keep the balance in the wastes.
My thoughts exactly.
Basically, the civilisations in fallout are very young. while they may have started out with technology from the vaults, that technology wouldn't last forever. resulting in the people resorting to older means of survival. primarily people need to supply themselves with food. this means the majority of settlements will have some form of agriculture which forms the base of their economy. then, if there are any natural resources around (reading had gold and other metals, broken hills had urainium) they can extract and export those raw materials to other settlements.

manufacturing is very limited in both fallouts. there were one or two tanneries which made armour to survive, blacksmiths to produce tools for farming and the like and a few commercial businesses like gun shops and hardware stores. the likelyhood of a technological civilisation taking hold with little to no industrial growth is unlikely to say the least. scientists rely on money from a source. and most likely R&D will center on building better means to produce food or something which is useful rather than services like insurance or computers/electronics.

it would take a long time to establish the wastelands as a stable place for a technological civilisation.

any flaws which you can see, feel free to point out.
No flaws there. :)
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

the centralized government of NCR is dependent on certain members, westin, tandi and others. NCR would crash without strong leaders (i REALLY hope this happens. NCR sucked. stupid police "put your weapons away NOW!" "screw you porky!") westin was assasinated (at least i did this quest every time i played fo2, i hate NCR) there were many conspiracies in NCR and the place, with a good nudge, would topple.

VC is the product of people who have access to the vault. essentially I think they canabalised all the vaults systems and brought them out of the vault. leaving only the power core and main computer inside the vault as well as medical fascilities. the tech in VC was little more than that inside the vault. also take into account that you can get laser rifles in Fallout so the sentry guns arn't all that OTT. Don't forget the people of VC are sterile, which means their isolationalist attitude will cause them to self-destruct within a few generations, especially if the auto-doc stops working. this would encourage the people from outside VC to enter the gates and the 'utopia' would disintegrate into another settlement. without the knowledge of the workings of the vault they would lose the ability to maintain their technology and revert to a shady sands-like settlement.

Essentially what i am trying to point out in these posts is that a prequel is not the only answer. with some immaginative thinking and logic you can easily remove most of the problems faced by fallout 2's ending.

san fran is a little more difficult however. the tech level there is inexplicable...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FireWolf wrote:Don't forget the people of VC are sterile, which means their isolationalist attitude will cause them to self-destruct within a few generations, especially if the auto-doc stops working.
I don't recall that they were sterile. You could contribute some tribal juice in the medical facilities in Vault 8. If they do the fertilization process in labs that doesn't mean the people are sterile. You could still do that stuff with your partner.
Essentially what i am trying to point out in these posts is that a prequel is not the only answer. with some immaginative thinking and logic you can easily remove most of the problems faced by fallout 2's ending.
That is true, but it's highly possible that we wont see the same locations locations again in Fallout 3.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

That is true, but it's highly possible that we wont see the same locations locations again in Fallout 3.
another point i have made in numerous threads on the subject.

When you talk to the Doc's assistant, phyllis or something, she says that only fertilization by the auto-doc cause pregnancies. getting up to the hibberdy-jibberdy doesnt result in fertilization.
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

If i remember correctly the cause of the vault citizens being sterile was all that radiation coming from Gecko , after all vault citizens dont have radiation resistance like a normal wasteland citizen
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FireWolf wrote:hibberdy-jibberdy
:)

OK, I checked it out myself last night. You have a good memory, and your posts aren't full of hibberdy-jibberdy. :wink:
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I have a pretty good memory. been a while since I played the games though.